Which Thoth do I have?

caridwen

I bought a Thoth and it arrived today with no box! I have been reading the threads and it seems I have purchased an 'icky green one' as the cards have a distinct greenish hue.

There is no white border on the back, the design fills the whole card. I'll describe a major as they seem to differ according to edition.

Aeon:
Has a striped border, for want of a better description. With what looks like a solar disk at the top with the XX in the centre.
At the bottom it has TRUMPS The Aeon a triangle (fire?) and a Hebrew letter. The writing is emerald green.

There are no extra dudes or Unicursal hexagram card, much to my chagrin! I will have to squirrel one out of somewhere.

Maybe the border is grey and not green... :confused:

Emily

Hi Caridwen,

Could you scan some of the cards? The typeface on the greenies are different to the 'normal' colourings.

Fulgour

Left to Right, all decks Large size:
1.) AGMüller 1986 - Note grayish tones
2.) Weiser 1983 - My "greenie"
3.) USGames 1983 - Note white tones

http://www.tarotforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=12857

Here is a scan of "The Swiss" showing it's flavour...
©1986 by AGMüller, CH-Neuhausen
ISBN 3905021609
Printed in Switzerland
Blue Box
3 Magus cards
No Hex or OTO cards
Gray deco-border on card face, gray back border

http://www.tarotforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=12867

©1978, 1983 Samuel Weiser, Inc., York Beach, Maine
ISBN 0877284520
Printed in Belgium
Green Box
1 Magus card
etc.

©1978, 1983 U.S. Games Systems, Inc., Stamford, Connecticut
ISBN 0913866156
Printed in Belgium
Green Box
1 Magus card
etc.

No Border
http://www.tarotforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=12869

Border
http://www.tarotforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=12870

Lillie

Is it big?
14cm by 9?

If so, then the absence of back borders means that it is from the era of the greenie.

Some were more green than others, some were not really green at all.

However I would have thought that the greenish cast you mention would confirm it.

Do you like it?
or are you sorry it turned out to be green?

caridwen

Thank you Fulgour! I have compared the card to the scan and it seems to be: 2.) Weiser 1983

Lillie, no I'm not sorry I got a green one as I have nothing to compare it to. The deck is very big and 'masculine'. It seems very testosterone charged and full of men's bits. However, it does have some wonderful feminine cards like the 10 of Cups and Star. I think the artwork is beautiful but think I've got rather muted colours. Scans in no way do this deck justice.

I also feel as though I've started at the foot of a mountain as there seems a lot to study and RWS interpretations are in no way helpful as Crowley was on a different planet to Waite.

I've been browsing the AT Thoth forum but was lost almost immediately as there is lots of talk about Hebrew, Tree of Life and the Book of Thoth which I have only dipped my toe into. I also don't know planets or astrology.

But apart from that, it's all good:p

caridwen

Emily said:
Hi Caridwen,

Could you scan some of the cards? The typeface on the greenies are different to the 'normal' colourings.

I'm afraid I have no scanner but if Santa is reading, maybe he'll bless me this year:D

gregory

The greenies usually had a red and black UCH.
Are the borders really plain or do they have tracery in them ? The oldest one I have has completely plain borders (we are talking faces here, not backs.)

There are scans of everything on the "icky green deck" thread.....

caridwen

gregory said:
The greenies usually had a red and black UCH.
Are the borders really plain or do they have tracery in them ? The oldest one I have has completely plain borders (we are talking faces here, not backs.)

There are scans of everything on the "icky green deck" thread.....

Hey there gregs:D

It seems to be the weiser '83 edition. Although it's not brussel sprout green as some I've seen, just a greenish hue and muted colours when I compare it to the other decks. I don't have any extra cards though:( (<---weepy, begging kinda face)

Lillie

caridwen said:
Lillie, no I'm not sorry I got a green one as I have nothing to compare it to. The deck is very big and 'masculine'. It seems very testosterone charged and full of men's bits. However, it does have some wonderful feminine cards like the 10 of Cups and Star. I think the artwork is beautiful but think I've got rather muted colours. Scans in no way do this deck justice.

I have always thought that the star is just about the most beautiful card I have ever seen, not just in theThoth, but in any deck.
I really do love everything about it.

I also feel as though I've started at the foot of a mountain as there seems a lot to study and RWS interpretations are in no way helpful as Crowley was on a different planet to Waite.

I've been browsing the AT Thoth forum but was lost almost immediately as there is lots of talk about Hebrew, Tree of Life and the Book of Thoth which I have only dipped my toe into. I also don't know planets or astrology.

Yeah, it looks like that, don't it.
Lots of complicated stuff.
But really, what I found was that the best thing was to just use it, and find out bits of the complicated stuff as I went along.
The bits that appealed to me first, and then that would lead me on to other stuff.
Some stuff I just never got to grips with, and other stuff I just could never care about at all, but it has never stopped me using the deck.

Crowleys Book of Thoth is an interesting read.
At first that seems very complicated and baffeling, but after a bit things seem to sink in, and even when I am not understanding, he has a wonderful way of writing.
It's the sort of writing that hardly seems to get done anymore. Sort of poetic victorian metaphysics on acid.

But apart from that, it's all good:p[/QUOTE]