RWS decks not by US Games

PurplePixie

Hi
Longtime lurker and have enjoyed reading the forum so much I feel like I know some of you.
Wow.... way to sound stalker-ish in the first sentence..lol

Anyway, I love the PAM A so much and have a collection of vintage RWS as well as antique fortune telling decks and many other kinds of decks but I always use the RWS to read with.

My questions for all of you are, have you heard about the "1910 Rider Tarot Revived" (on amazon and etsy) and is it the same as the "Popular 1910 Deck" on the Mystic Games website that doesn't seem to be available anyway?

I've spent the last few days on the forum looking for info so I apologize if I missed the thread this was on. I bought the deck that is on ebay claiming to be waterproof-just for giggles But i can't find any info on the Mystic Games "Popular 1910 tarot " or the (seemingly connected) "1910 rider tarot revived" by Mystic Warez.

JohnKaartunen

PurplePixie,

Just saw this set 1910 rider tarot revived on Amazon. Never seen it before, and was curious how accurate the colors are. So I bought one, lol.....

Anyway, I haven't seen the Mystic Games Popular 1910 tarot, so I honestly can't say.

Ironically enough, I have a Pam B deck, and I wanted to check the color comparison to a early 70's copy of RWS last night. I was very surprised how muted the Pam B is in comparison. I don't know if that is an age thing, or if US Games is really that far off.

Sorry for the off topic, but how is the waterproof deck?

FLizarraga

PurplePixie,

Just saw this set 1910 rider tarot revived on Amazon. Never seen it before, and was curious how accurate the colors are. So I bought one, lol.....

How is it? Please do tell. I'm tempted.

PurplePixie,
Ironically enough, I have a Pam B deck, and I wanted to check the color comparison to a early 70's copy of RWS last night. I was very surprised how muted the Pam B is in comparison. I don't know if that is an age thing, or if US Games is really that far off.

It could definitely be aging. Care to share some pics of your Pam B, maybe some side-to-side with modern editions? :)

Sorry for the off topic, but how is the waterproof deck?

Technically, it's not off topic, since it's another non USG Rider Waite. I posted a sort of quick review on another thread, here it is:

My "regular size" deck arrived today.

The image is the exact same width as the Von Waite deck's (probably the Pam A deck, as far as I'm concerned), but about a quarter-inch shorter (a little over a centimeter), which accounts for the slightly squashed proportions. The naked women seem to have gotten discreet boob jobs, and the 9 of Pentacles lady kind of looks to me like a drag queen for some reason. (Actually, I am looking at the image on the Von Waite now, and she does have a squarish, sort of manly jaw and a too-broad neck, too. Go figure!). And the Emperor really needs to hit the gym but pronto.

The colors are not too bad, with muddier yellows and more vibrant reds than the Von Waite, but similar ochres and yellows, and rich oranges. The pebbled backs are very washed out, however, and the back borders are really misaligned --and I do mean REALLY misaligned.

I have a feeling that this could have been a much better deck, but it suffers from having been printed at home with not-too-good inkjet printers, or so it feels. There are some fine white lines on some backgrounds from when the ink started to run out. The cardstock is semi matte and very thin, but serviceable.

It is a deck that begs (loudly) to be trimmed, and then retouched on the back with a pale orange crayon. An unpretentious RWS deck to be carried in your pocket or your purse, larger and less drab than the tin Centennial.

I really hope the author is listening, and that he corrects the squashing and maybe creates a borderless, less faded back. That could really brig this deck up to snuff. As it is, I quite like it, warts and all.

Abrac

The description of the "1910 Rider Tarot Revived" at Amazon says, "This deck is a color accurate photocopy of the original 1910 deck, with glossy '5x3.2' inch cards."

There's one listed on eBay with pictures http://www.ebay.com/itm/1910-Rider-...293261?hash=item2f000cab8d:g:4dsAAOSwmgJY6-c7, but it looks like something's wrong with the pictures of the cards so it's hard to tell much from them.

If you look at the Wheel of Fortune at Mystic Games http://www.mysticgames.com/mysticgames_cfmfiles/tarotinfo/deck.cfm?DeckID=1, the corner is cut straight like the picture of the back in the eBay example. They might be the same deck; the description at Mystic Games says, "Illustrations of the Popular 1910 Deck are public domain." It must've just been released.

JohnKaartunen

Flizarraga,

I'm still waiting on Amazon to get them to me. I'll be happy to let you know when it get's here. I just got the new German Premium edition in the mail today. I saw there is a thread already started on the forum, but they are very nice. Not very glossy, and the color pallet is very soft.

I would be happy to post some pics for a comparison of the Pam B. I'll have to do it tonight. The wife yelled at me for not having gloves on when I was holding them last night. lol

Is there a particular card you would like to see a side by side with?

FLizarraga

The description of the "1910 Rider Tarot Revived" at Amazon says, "This deck is a color accurate photocopy of the original 1910 deck, with glossy '5x3.2' inch cards."

There's one listed on eBay with pictures http://www.ebay.com/itm/1910-Rider-...293261?hash=item2f000cab8d:g:4dsAAOSwmgJY6-c7, but it looks like something's wrong with the pictures of the cards so it's hard to tell much from them.

If you look at the Wheel of Fortune at Mystic Games http://www.mysticgames.com/mysticgames_cfmfiles/tarotinfo/deck.cfm?DeckID=1, the corner is cut straight like the picture of the back in the eBay example. They might be the same deck; the description at Mystic Games says, "Illustrations of the Popular 1910 Deck are public domain." It must've just been released.

Good sleuthing! :thumbsup:

Yes, the eBay pictures are strangely washed out.

FWIW, the "waterproof" deck makes the same claims of being a photocopy, and it very well may be, but it then squishes the image proportions for no good reason. Based on what I could make out of theRevived eBar pictures, I think it has the same problem, but it's hard to tell.

JohnKaartunen

Here's a pic of the set.

Attachments

• IMG_0788.jpg
    IMG_0788.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 1,061

FLizarraga

Flizarraga,

I'm still waiting on Amazon to get them to me. I'll be happy to let you know when it get's here. I just got the new German Premium edition in the mail today. I saw there is a thread already started on the forum, but they are very nice. Not very glossy, and the color pallet is very soft.

I would be happy to post some pics for a comparison of the Pam B. I'll have to do it tonight. The wife yelled at me for not having gloves on when I was holding them last night. lol

Is there a particular card you would like to see a side by side with?

The German Premium is a thing of beauty, and I like it a lot better than the tea-stained look of the USG Centennial. (Though the Centennial admittedly has its own antique charm.)

Any cards you think worth a side by side comparison will be fine. (And don't forget the gloves! ;))

JohnKaartunen

Here's a pic with the Pam B on the left, vintage Rider Waite in the middle (early 70's), and the German Premium Version on the right. I tried to get the lighting right.

Attachments

• IMG_0793[1].jpg
    IMG_0793[1].jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 1,108