Ethics on Where to Read Cards

Nevada

While I am not sure I agree with outlawing Tarot readings in a hotel lobby, I suppose it depends on the hotel and its clientèle. It's private property, and really all the rules are up to the management. So if I knew the hotel didn't allow it, I wouldn't do it. But as Thirteen says, some hotels have those little private islands where it would be possible. And if a hotel is housing a tarot convention or something, I think they should expect a little reading in public areas now and then. But if both reader and sitter are staying at the hotel, it can just as easily be taken to one of their rooms. Anyway, the point is it's private property and it's not right to deliberately flaunt the known rules of any location.

Back on topic, if your friend is uncomfortable being read for in a public place, that's really all you need to know. Find a private place. I thought the suggestion of a car was perfect, but if neither of you has a car, maybe you could do it somewhere else private. There are loads of possibilities. Some restaurants, during certain hours, aren't very busy and have tables off in corners where you wouldn't be bothered or overheard. Just remember to order something and leave a tip. :)

Have you considered doing it by phone or email?

Seafra

The property I work at does not offer privacy in the lobby. You get your privacy in your room. The lobby is Grand Central Station (as most lobbies are). The owner would be livid if someone did readings there -- or anything that might make other guests uncomfortable. We have pet-friendly rooms but don't allow the pets in the lobby because -- lets face it -- not every likes dogs.

If you allow tarot card reading, what do we do with people who might want to do a religious service there? Where is the line drawn?

I'm not working at a 4 star hotel by the way.

That aside, hearing people say they will read where they want when they want until they are thrown out -- all I hear is that negative rebellious stance which personally I feel is senseless. How ethical is that? What is the Cause? Is it worth the disruption it would create? How does that reflect on other card readers? What respect does that show for others?

Sorry, can't see it.

direwolf336

"If you allow tarot card reading, what do we do with people who might want to do a religious service there? Where is the line drawn?"
Seafra

Ok, maybe I should make this a little more clear. I am not talking about setting up a booth in a hotel lobby with a sign that say's Tarot Readings. I am talking about sitting in the café or lobby of that hotel, by myself or with a friend, either discussion Tarots, looking at the cards, or a reading for that friend. That’s all we are talking about here. If I asked my boss if I could set ups Tarot readings in our lobby I'm sure he would not like that nor would I make such a ridiculous suggestion. But again, there is no difference in sitting and reading your Tarot as there is reading your newspaper ect...I would like to know why your boss would think that’s wrong. I mean, what would make other guest feel uncomfortable about it? My guess is that most the populace of the hotel would probably not even know what the cards are by a glance.

But back to the regular program. I not sure I would feel very comfortable doing a reading in a car. Not sure but its so cramped and seems so...I don’t know....rushed perhaps. I should give it a try though and see how it works out. I will call my friend tomorrow and she if she is open to this. I also like the park idea since the weather is turning nice...That could work also.....

Seafra

direwolf336 said:
Ok, maybe I should make this a little more clear. I am not talking about setting up a booth in a hotel lobby with a sign that say's Tarot Readings.
Never thought you were.

I am talking about sitting in the café or lobby of that hotel, by myself or with a friend, either discussion Tarots, looking at the cards, or a reading for that friend. That’s all we are talking about here.
There is a difference between discussing tarot in public and doing readings in public. I'm going to assume here, which I hate, that you have not read in public often. I've had a few hairy experiences with bible thumpers and have been accused of working on behalf of the Devil. I don't want that happening in the lobby.
If I asked my boss if I could set ups Tarot readings in our lobby I'm sure he would not like that nor would I make such a ridiculous suggestion. But again, there is no difference in sitting and reading your Tarot as there is reading your newspaper ect...
Not everyone agrees that reading tarot cards and reading a newspaper aren't different. Please see my answer above.

I would like to know why your boss would think that’s wrong. I mean, what would make other guest feel uncomfortable about it? My guess is that most the populace of the hotel would probably not even know what the cards are by a glance.
If you are really intent on knowing, why don't you call local hotels and ask them how they would feel about people reading cards in their lobby -- doing readings, not reading about tarot -- and make sure it isn't a hotel with cubbies 13 and Nevada have described.

Guests might be offended. Speaking as an experienced hotel employee with years of experience working with the public in other positions also, people, especially paying guests, will complain about anything. They think that language was created so that they can complain. The best defense is a great offense. I don't know how to explain this in a manner that you could understand. Matter of fact I just talked to a co-worker, giving her a 'what if' re tarot card reading in the lobby and her opinion is the same as mine. You should know she knows I read cards and have read for her.

To be blunt, I could have done without that mean face in your post's title line. If we can't see eye to eye then we should do as I suggested earlier -- we can agree to disagree.

direwolf336

Certainly didn't mean for this thread to get heated.....However, I would be curious to know why you think someone would be offended. As a hotel manager, has this every came up? I mean, as anyone ever asked to do this or complained because they saw someone with cards? I know a little about customer complaints and anger myself. And you are right that they will complain about everything and anything they can. However, with this issue, I still am wondering why anyone would think this is a problem...Btw, the anger icon was not towards you, it was a indication about my feelings on the matter, which is why I thought we had these icons. If you didn't appreciate that, I understand, However, if it wasn't meant to be used, it wouldn't be there.

Seafra

direwolf336 said:
Certainly didn't mean for this thread to get heated.....However, I would be curious to know why you think someone would be offended.
As I said above, I have been harassed by people who feel tarot is evil. I don't *think* people would be offended, I *know* tarot offends the sensibilities of some people.

As a hotel manager, has this every came up? I mean, as anyone ever asked to do this or complained because they saw someone with cards?
I have not had any problem with tarot. I have experienced many guests having difficulties with the religious practices of other guests, yes. I don't want to go into specifics here as there are people of all faiths posting at AT and some might take offense at what thoughtless people have said about religious practices that differ from their own.
However, with this issue, I still am wondering why anyone would think this is a problem...
I have explained it as clearly as I can.
Btw, the anger icon was not towards you, it was a indication about my feelings on the matter, which is why I thought we had these icons. If you didn't appreciate that, I understand, However, if it wasn't meant to be used, it wouldn't be there.
I see. :)

Welf

Okay... I have a question... If reading Tarot cards isn't permitted in a hotel lobby and instead, someone did a reading for their client at home, wrote that reading down in a journal or memorised it.... Then after doing that, they went to the hotel lobby to meet their client, (maybe even took their journal with them), to talk about the reading in detail (without the cards being in view).... would they also be asked not to talk about that between themselves?

Welf

Seafra

Welf said:
Okay... I have a question... If reading Tarot cards isn't permitted in a hotel lobby and instead, someone did a reading for their client at home, wrote that reading down in a journal or memorised it.... Then after doing that, they went to the hotel lobby to meet their client, (maybe even took their journal with them), to talk about the reading in detail (without the cards being in view).... would they also be asked not to talk about that between themselves?

Welf
I don't think anyone in their right mind would have a problem with that.

Sinduction

That's actually funny because here our psychic fairs are in a hotel lobby! :D

But I must agree that it is up to the place to decide. I see nothing wrong with tarot workings in cafes or diners, as long as you are spending some money at the establishment. I would do it alone or with a friend but not with a paying client unless I had already worked that out with the owner/manager.

However, where I am, it's no big deal. I've read in Denny's, Applebee's, countless coffee shops, bars, night clubs, waiting rooms.

I'm happy to hear Panera was cool with it. My mother keeps asking me to lunch there in exchange for a reading! I love their pastries!

We are all in different parts of the world. Tarot is seen differently every where. Here, in Cleveland, Ohio no one really cares. It's no big deal.

In fact, I can't recall ever being asked to put my cards away. Depending on where I was, they might have a fight on their hands, legally speaking. :D

Welf

Seafra:
I don't think anyone in their right mind would have a problem with that.
What if they then pulled their journal out, but in their journal there were say, for example, copies of the cards glued in it so they could show their client what the cards looked like? Or they were set up in the journal in a manner to show the querant the order of the cards in a reading... Or if the Reader had a Tarot book with them with pictures of the cards, would that be seen the same as like pulling out a deck of Tarot cards and laying them on the table?

Mind you, this getting hypothetical, sematic and rather picky eh... but I suppose it could happen like that... just curious really to how far one could push this...

Welf