Borderless Rider-Waite coming from US Games...

banbha

Just compared the images to my Centennial, and it seems you're right. It follows the same coloring scheme and shading, tho it's definitely much brighter. That might have been because it's an image viewed in an electronic screen, so the colors of the actual catds might just be as subdued as the Centennial.

Definitely not the plaid-backed Rider deck, since the background in the images does have a fine mottling effect that's a signature of the PCS. Not the Original either since the 3 of Swords in the borderless is unambiguously gray. So yeah it seems like it is based on the Centennial.

I've always wanted a borderless RWS since I don't do arts and crafts that well really, and I don't want to butcher a poor deck. This one seems to check all the right boxes for me. I did plan on buying a backup for my Centennial, but getting this borderless first does look like a more prudent proposition. Yup, this one goes straight in my to-buy list, and if they do release it by late summer, it shall be in my hands before the year ends.

It's great US games is coming out with a borderless version. I'm just disappointed with the one they chose. I want more or brighter color so I'm going less traditional. I'm looking at this borderless Starlight Illuminated RWS deck by Carol Herzer:

http://www.aeclectic.net/cgi/buyframe.cgi?type=deck&id=714

Abrac

I agree banbha. I like the Morgan-Greer and I've seen pictures of trimmed Thoths that look very nice. But this US Games version of the RWS lack something.

EmpyreanKnight

It's great US games is coming out with a borderless version. I'm just disappointed with the one they chose. I want more or brighter color so I'm going less traditional. I'm looking at this borderless Starlight Illuminated RWS deck by Carol Herzer:

Hi banbha! I guess it's just a matter of preference then. I looked at the Starlight Illuminated and it looked oversaturated and overdone for me. If they chose that for the Borderless, it would be I who would end up getting disappointed lol.

Regarding the Centennial, I surmise that they have studied the feasibility of choosing it vis-a-vis their other RWS clone offerings by weighing the most relevant criteria, like recent sales volume, critical reception, etc and concluded that out of all of them, the Centennial would appeal the most to the market. Most of the reviews I read on it before I decided to purchase it were overwhelmingly positive, some gushingly so, and because of that I have little doubt it would garner much support. Actually, if the Bordeless is going to be offered at a competitive price point, I think that just like the Centennial it was patterned on, it will be a staple in their offerings for years to come.

It's just to be expected, really. When I embarked on an in-depth study of the RWS, I decided to snap up the Centennial because of all the accolades it received. When I did get my hands on it, I finally saw why.

It has a classic, marmoreal, almost elegiac feel to it which befits the RWS's status as the premier deck of the Tarot world. Restrained but evocative, regal and mystical, its somber palette lends itself to a profound atmosphere that inspires one to contemplate, to meditate on its images and symbols, making it a most fitting deck for study. It is thoroughly classy and so beautifully put together, like a lady of the old guard draped in creamy silk. There's just this intimation of melancholy, of a profound weltschmerz that hints of a deep, encompassing wisdom beneath its refined facade. But through all that, it is strangely accessible and warm too. Genteel yet formidable, inexorable yet sympathetic, it's quite unlike anything I've seen before. Out of all the decks I've encountered, it's the one that most closely approximates my idea of the perfect RWS.

But then again, the Borderless might end up not being adapted from the Centennial after all, and all my musings would be for naught lol. Still I'll wait for it with bated breath, and once it makes its entrance, I shall ask it for a dance.

banbha

Hi banbha! I guess it's just a matter of preference then. I looked at the Starlight Illuminated and it looked oversaturated and overdone for me. If they chose that for the Borderless, it would be I who would end up getting disappointed lol.

No worries for you there, lol! I have my vivid, borderless version on its way to me, it should arrive tomorrow.

Regarding the Centennial, I surmise that they have studied the feasibility of choosing it vis-a-vis their other RWS clone offerings by weighing the most relevant criteria, like recent sales volume, critical reception, etc and concluded that out of all of them, the Centennial would appeal the most to the market. Most of the reviews I read on it before I decided to purchase it were overwhelmingly positive, some gushingly so, and because of that I have little doubt it would garner much support. Actually, if the Bordeless is going to be offered at a competitive price point, I think that just like the Centennial it was patterned on, it will be a staple in their offerings for years to come.

It's just to be expected, really. When I embarked on an in-depth study of the RWS, I decided to snap up the Centennial because of all the accolades it received. When I did get my hands on it, I finally saw why.

It has a classic, marmoreal, almost elegiac feel to it which befits the RWS's status as the premier deck of the Tarot world. Restrained but evocative, regal and mystical, its somber palette lends itself to a profound atmosphere that inspires one to contemplate, to meditate on its images and symbols, making it a most fitting deck for study. It is thoroughly classy and so beautifully put together, like a lady of the old guard draped in creamy silk. There's just this intimation of melancholy, of a profound weltschmerz that hints of a deep, encompassing wisdom beneath its refined facade. But through all that, it is strangely accessible and warm too. Genteel yet formidable, inexorable yet sympathetic, it's quite unlike anything I've seen before. Out of all the decks I've encountered, it's the one that most closely approximates my idea of the perfect RWS.

But then again, the Borderless might end up not being adapted from the Centennial after all, and all my musings would be for naught lol. Still I'll wait for it with bated breath, and once it makes its entrance, I shall ask it for a dance.

I think you shall have your dance, isn't it the Centennial they've chosen? You can pre-order it from US Games if you like.

That was really quite the most beautiful description of the Centennial I've ever read. I'm wondering now at its refined mystique and think I will give this borderless version a second thought, or at least a more open mind.

Gaston D.

It has a classic, marmoreal, almost elegiac feel to it which befits the RWS's status as the premier deck of the Tarot world.

So wonderful to see one of my favorite words - marmoreal - in a description of one of my favorite decks. It really does express perfectly the feel of the Centennial deck.

And count me among the few (?) here who are happy that USG chose the Centennial deck for the borderless edition. I already own the miniature edition as my go-to travel deck and have been half-planning to buy a full size edition at some point since I love the coloring and mood of it. So the announcement of the borderless edition couldn't have come at a better time.

reall

So far, that looks gorgeous!
agree!:) it totally opens Pam painting giving it fresh view!:)
can't wait to see all cards!:)) lolz

actually i was hoping for borderless radiant in a tin!XD but Pam is one of better coloring and fact is nothing can compare to glitters!xD lolz btw anyone try DIY glitters on USG decks or is it better to print on *normal paper paper then glitter and laminate?XD lolz :))

p.s is it me or is it white rose from death card on the back?;/// definitely could go with different backs,,,, stars are my fav!^^ lolz :))

zeldajones91

This looks absolutely beautiful. I'm not sure how I'll feel about a borderless RWS though... I guess I'll have to wait and see some video reviews before I make a decision about it.

Scarlet Woodland

Heard back from them and they reminded me that AGM publishes Thoth. Maybe I'll check with them on any future plans.

Alan

My pocket Thoth is US Games... has that stopped being a thing? It does look like the last print run was 10 years ago actually. Shame, would love a borderless Thoth in a tin.

I like the look of the borderless centennial pics. Don't think they're the finished article as I'd be surprised if they had titles on the majors but not the minors. Looking very promising so far though.

Am in the same boat as Gaston D. and was planning on getting the full size PCS at some point so will definitely look to get this instead when I'm solvent again :D I love me some borderless but never fancied trying to trim along those wiggly lines.

banbha

agree!:) it totally opens Pam painting giving it fresh view!:)
can't wait to see all cards!:)) lolz

actually i was hoping for borderless radiant in a tin!XD but Pam is one of better coloring and fact is nothing can compare to glitters!xD lolz btw anyone try DIY glitters on USG decks or is it better to print on *normal paper paper then glitter and laminate?XD lolz :))

p.s is it me or is it white rose from death card on the back?;/// definitely could go with different backs,,,, stars are my fav!^^ lolz :))

I think making glitter decks would be a whole other thread. :)

I think the rose back suits this deck. The stars back is from the Radiant Tarot.

Madrigal

This doesn't look borderless to me. There's a thin white border around the edges of the whole card, unless that's part of the scan. But you'd think if they're advertising a borderless deck they'd make sure to show it absolutely borderless.

I have trimmed a ton of decks and you just need to look below my username to see where I stand on the borderless issue :laugh: That said I'm uncharacteristically fond of the squiggly black lines around the PCS deck. You can see/feel her hand in them. So I'm not actually that keen on this one.