Tarot for Ancestor Work

Chrystella

Since New Year's Day, I've been doing a single-card daily draw. These have been for insights around day to day issues.

Now that we're approaching Samhain here in the Southern Hemisphere and I bought Seven's gorgeous Samhain Deck of the Bastard, I'd like to focus my daily draws on ancestor work. I've never used tarot for this before and was wondering if anyone here has and could offer some insight.

I think the challenge is how to keep it simple and still keep it meaningful. Here's what I was thinking of doing:

Day 1: Draw from the major arcana only, a card to represent the ancestor.
Day 2: Tell me about a memorable day in your life.
Day 3: How do you affect or influence me?
Day 4: What is your message for me?
Day 5: How can I honour you?

And repeat through Samhain. I could end up getting to know five or six ancestors.

What do you think?

Alta

I have never heard of this idea before and think it is fascinating. By coincidence, must have a been a dream, when I woke up this morning my brain started to focus on all the people who had contributed to my DNA helping to shape the person that I am.

I am not sure if it is true, because goodness knows the material you read on the internet, but 'they' say that life experiences or possibly traumas anyway, are heritable.

Chrystella

I have friends undergoing a program called Faery Seership, which involves a collection of lore and techniques influenced by the Celtic and pre-Celtic tribes of Europe. Ancestral work is a big part of it. They use a concept called the River of Blood. The basic idea is that we carry not only all the good stuff, but also the pains, fears, and unresolved issues of our ancestors. In healing them, we heal and strengthen ourselves. There's a beautiful visualisation involving reaching down into the river, clasping the hand of your ancestor, and raising them up and into your boat. You clean the blood off them and comb the tangles out of their hair. I think it's a lovely and powerful metaphor.

Barleywine

This idea has me thinking it might be a good use for my Shining Tribe tarot with its deep "ancestral" quality. I've pretty much sidelined it because it's so far removed from the "European" model, but this could give it new life. Thanks!

Madrigal

Divining the Ancestral Tree might be of interest to you. She provides a whole reading based on ancestors and their effect in our lives and how to work with that. She also includes a casting template you can print up. She uses charms but you could easily use cards instead. In fact I think she's got instructions on how to do that in place of charms.

celticnoodle

Chrystella, I think that is a fantastic and interesting thing to focus on. I also love the questions you have formed for this adventure.

I love doing things that will bring me closer to my ancestors. I'm big in keeping their memories alive in my own world and work with them a lot. I've been blessed in meeting them through my medium ship work as well and calling on them for support and guidance.

I think your exercise you have created will be a huge blessing for you and I cannot wait to read of your experiences.

I have never heard of this idea before and think it is fascinating. By coincidence, must have a been a dream, when I woke up this morning my brain started to focus on all the people who had contributed to my DNA helping to shape the person that I am.

I am not sure if it is true, because goodness knows the material you read on the internet, but 'they' say that life experiences or possibly traumas anyway, are heritable.
yes, I do believe we inherit the life experiences from our ancestors. For instance, just look at the inherited disorders for one, including drug and alcohol abuse, but also cancers and other disorders. I believe also our fears of certain issues--(fear of heights, fear of falling, etc.) can be inherited too, though some people would say those are more learned fears. Other traits, such as being musically inclined, etc. are obviously inherited as well--so why limit ourselves to thinking only 'certain' things can be.

I have friends undergoing a program called Faery Seership, which involves a collection of lore and techniques influenced by the Celtic and pre-Celtic tribes of Europe. Ancestral work is a big part of it. They use a concept called the River of Blood. The basic idea is that we carry not only all the good stuff, but also the pains, fears, and unresolved issues of our ancestors. In healing them, we heal and strengthen ourselves. There's a beautiful visualisation involving reaching down into the river, clasping the hand of your ancestor, and raising them up and into your boat. You clean the blood off them and comb the tangles out of their hair. I think it's a lovely and powerful metaphor.

Oh wow! another very interesting exercise/(program)! How wonderful for your friends! I like this too and will have to do more exploring on this program. It sounds very interesting!

This idea has me thinking it might be a good use for my Shining Tribe tarot with its deep "ancestral" quality. I've pretty much sidelined it because it's so far removed from the "European" model, but this could give it new life. Thanks!

Oh yes--I like that deck. I don't own it, but I love the simplicity of it. If you adopt Crystella's idea and use it for the same reason, I hope you will also share your experiences.

Good luck to you and anyone else who will be doing this. Such a fascinating idea! I can't wait to read of your experiences. I will find myself also going through my tarot cards to see if I can find a deck that will resonate with me in this same quest. :)

Chrystella

Thanks, everyone. Please keep me updated if you do any ancestor work with tarot. I'm keen to learn more.

Madrigal, thanks for that resource. It's a beautiful website and I love those templates she creates.

Barleywine

Since New Year's Day, I've been doing a single-card daily draw. These have been for insights around day to day issues.

Now that we're approaching Samhain here in the Southern Hemisphere and I bought Seven's gorgeous Samhain Deck of the Bastard, I'd like to focus my daily draws on ancestor work. I've never used tarot for this before and was wondering if anyone here has and could offer some insight.

I think the challenge is how to keep it simple and still keep it meaningful. Here's what I was thinking of doing:

Day 1: Draw from the major arcana only, a card to represent the ancestor.
Day 2: Tell me about a memorable day in your life.
Day 3: How do you affect or influence me?
Day 4: What is your message for me?
Day 5: How can I honour you?

And repeat through Samhain. I could end up getting to know five or six ancestors.

What do you think?

I started this today, using my Shining Tribe tarot as I mentioned earlier. I drew the Hermit from the majors, and the first thing I noticed was that it shows an astral doorway on the card, a perfect representation of how an ancestral contact might be pursued. I meditated on the card and felt a formless spiritual presence behind it that seems to want to tell me something. It's only just a glimmer of awareness right now, but I plan to work with it to see what develops. I won't start the questions until I feel that I know its intentions.

celticnoodle

interesting, barleywine. please do continue to update us with your progress.

Tanga

I started this today, using my Shining Tribe tarot as I mentioned earlier. I drew the Hermit from the majors, and the first thing I noticed was that it shows an astral doorway on the card, a perfect representation of how an ancestral contact might be pursued.

Sounds good.

Ancestor work is something I've always been curious about and wondered how to do.
So - I'm taking this spread away. Right now it's Spring and Ostara here, and I'm not quite ready to speak with my ancestors. :) Not yet anyway.
I will report back when I come around to using this spread - thanks Chrystella.