faery stuff

a_shikhs

It would be great if everyone would share their faery recipes, faery meditation techniques, poems, stories, crystals, herbs, faery info, etc... Anything faery related.. Thanks.. :)

greenbeans

The Fairy Banquet

A little mushroom table spred,
After short prayers, they set on bread;
A Moon-parcht grain of purest wheat,
With some small glit'ring gritt, to eate
His choice bitts with; then in a trice
they make a Feast less great than nice.

And now, we must imagine first,
The Elves present to quench his thirst
A pure seed-Pearle of Infant dew,
Brought and besweetened in a blew
And pregnant violet; which done,
His kitling eyes begin to runne
Quite through the table where he spies
The hornes of paperie Butterflies,
Of which he eates, and tastes a little
Of what we call the Cuckoes spittle.
A little Fuz-ball-pudding stands
By,yet not blessed by his hands,
That was too coorse; but then forthwith
He ventures boldly on the pith
Of sugred Rush, and eates the sagge
And well bestrutted Bees sweet bagge:
Gladding his pallat with some store
Of Emits eggs; what wo'd he more?
But Beards of Mice, a Newt's stew's thigh,
A bloated earwig; and a Flie;
with the Red-capt worme that's shut
Within the concave of a Nut,
Browne as his tooth. A little Moth,
Late fatned in a piece of cloth:
With withered cherries: Mandrakes eares;
Moles eyes; to these, the slain-Stags teares:
The unctuous dewlaps of a Snaile;
The broke-heart of a Nightingale
Ore-come in musicke; with a wine,
Ne're ravisht from the flattering Vine,
But gently prest from the soft side
Of the most sweet and dainty Bride,
Brought in a dainty daize, which
he fully quaffs up to bewitch
His blood to height; this done, commended
Grace by his Priest, The Feast is Ended.

Robert Herrick (1591-1674)

Phew! typing out all that 'olde english' is oddly taxing...I don't understand all the old words...but enough to see that it is both quirky and a tad gross!

FantasyWorld

If you can't find something then feed your faeries:

Leave them an offering requesting they bring back the lost item such as Milk,honey,maybe something special you make for them,something sweeter as opposed to "meat",LOL!

It may take several days and you may not even be thinking about when you across it;)

greenbeans

faery herb and plant lore

Alder- This tree grows near water, and is under the protection of water faeries.

Apple- A tree sacred to faeries, pixies and the apple tree man. If one leaves a few apples on the tree for the apple tree man he will ensure a good harvest next year. Avalon is thought to be a land of apples, and to eat a faery apple is to become immortal but removed from humanity.

Ash- In Ireland many solitary trees are sacred to the faeries and cannot be cut down. In England, Ash will protect children and cattle from faery attention. The ash can be seen as the ‘world tree’ linking heaven, earth and the underworld. Many healing properties.

Birch- Haunted by ‘the one with the white hand’- a spirit whose touch brings madness or death

Blackthorn- Guarded by the Lunantishee in Ireland

Bluebells- If found growing in a wood, this meant it was a faery-haunt. To hear a bluebell ring was to hear one's death-knell. Those who wished to attract faeries should gather bluebells or plant them in the garden.

Cowslip- Allows one to uncover faery treasure

Daisy and St John's Wort- sun-symbol plants used for protection and healing (esp. at Midsummer and May Eve) On the Isle of Man it is believed that if you step on St John's Wort the Faeries will mislead you in your journey.

Elder- Guarded by the Elder Mother in England

Four Leaf Clover- Breaks Faery Glamour

Foxglove- also called 'Little folk's glove' or 'Goblin's Thimbles- worn by faeries as gloves/hats, the juice was given to faery-struck children in old times (WARNING, POISONOUS) and is grown in the garden by those wanting to attract faeries.

Ground Ivy, Red Verbena, Rowan- Counteract faery spells/protection against faeries. Irish legend tells of a rowan guarded by a Formorian, it bore berries that conferred immortality.

Hawthorn- A solitary hawthorn marks the boundary to Faeryland. In old times, an Irish peasant would supposedly rather die than chop one down, due to its association with faeries. If one sleeps beneath a hawthorn, esp. on May Eve, you will be taken by the faeries.

Hawthorn, Oak and Ash- If these 3 are found together, this denotes a faery haunt, it is bad luck to cut them down

Hazel-bury a hazel wand to summon faeries, or use to make a forked divining rod for finding faery-kept treasure. Associated with wisdom and inspiration in Ireland, and fertility in England.

Heather- a moorland plant on which heather pixies live and feed
Herbal secrets- the art of healing through herbs was often passed to cunning men and wise women by the faeries.

Holly and Ivy- Hung indoors during winter to provide protection for the vegetation faeries. Holly is associated with the Holly King and hag-fairies. In Ireland Holly was sacred to Morrigan.

Marigold/Wild thyme/Thyme- allows one to see faeries

Moss- In Germany it is thought moss is made by Moss Maidens, old faeries who are angered by destruction of forest saplings and peeling of bark. They will teach a human that they favour many healing powers and herbal secrets.

Oak- a very powerful faery tree, associated with the Oak king. Elves may dwell within the trunk, and may distract one from the path. Oakmen live in the saplings growing from felled oaks, and they can be aggressive, esp. if you cut the tree down

Primrose- Allows one to see faeries, a posy with a certain number of flowers can be used to access gates to Faerieland, the wrong number opens a door to doom. Primrose balls were hung over the door on may eve to protect from faeries. Primroses were planted beneath trees as offerings to Green Ladies.

Ragwort, Rush or Grass- the stalks are used by faeries as flying steeds. Faeries sometimes plant treasure under ragwort.

Reed- 'The Distaff of the faery woman'- thought by celts to be a submerged dryad- it was thought that fairies passed on the idea of using reeds to make bagpipes.

Trailing Pearlwort- Protection from fire and faery women

Vervain- Cures ills caused by faery spells and elf-bolts

Willow- associated with witchcraft and fertility throughout Europe. Willow trees are sacred to Morgan Le Fay, Morrigan, Cailleach and the hag goddess. Many faeries live in willows, or are willow dryads. They uproot themselves, walk about, and sigh and mutter at humans that pass by. Old Man Willow even grabs at them.

Bibliography:
Brain Froud and Alan Lee, Faeries, Pavilion Books.
Anna Frankin, The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Fairies, Paper Tiger
Katherine Briggs, An Encyclopedia of Fairies, Pantheon Books

(and I probably used some other books too when I made the list...I forget..but any mistakes are mine! This is all very based in England and Ireland due to my background and resources. let me know if you have info on elsewhere!)

greenbeans

that is a very different theory of the Fae! always good to hear other ways of looking at faeries.

Genna

Faeries like bluebells and primroses. They also like violets.

diane drizzy

I have always wondered what a faery home would look like.
Imagine it would be very rustic, dishes and cups from sturdy leaves and nut shells. Utensils from twigs.A meal would be very simle but elegant. Vegetarian of course, with huge salads, herb dressings, whole grain and nut breads. Herb teas and strange wines.
I also know they are great weavers, so I'm sure they would have beautiful nubby textured rugs and wall hangings. Their art work would be along the lines of collages from natural materials or wood, rock sculptues.
Same with furniture. Rock or wood base with beautiful pillows and throws.
I'm sure it would be very cozy, playful kids running around and one near the hearth in a carved cradle.
So I'll see you guys there for dinner. Take a left off the road for about 1/2 mile......

greenbeans

cosy!

i mis-read that as saying 'take a left at the toad...'!
can you imagine faery directions- "take a left at the toad and keep going until you reach the yellow snail..." hehe!

I love your cosy faery home! I want to go there, it reminds me of my grandad's house, I used to sit watching him make nettle tea and prepare his herbs...ok so it was in the middle of a city...but I imagine a similar smell in the air...of herbs, and fresh gathered plants, and a wholesome stew cooking on the pot!

Ah! I want to see the art and materials you describe...the salads would have edible flowers in I feel..and elderflower wine?

Meet you there for tea and bannock cakes!