Your favourite historical decks

page of ghosts

I was watching a video on youtube where they showed the decks from each century they thought was the most beautiful. It got me thinking... I don't own any historial or reproduced old decks (unless you count the RWS of course) since I'm more into the whimsical stuff stuff but I really liked a lot of the decks she showed. Some of them were even affordable and commercially available, which makes my wallet happy. A lot of the very old ones had illustrated or semi-illustrated pips too, which I thought was cool since we so often hear about the RWS and it's illustrated pips vs Marseille style.

So I'm wondering: what is your favourite historical or reproduced deck? Doesn't matter if it's in print or not, though it's neat if it is! I mostly wanna expand my horizon on what historical decks exist :)

Redfaery

Visconti, specifically the version produced by LoScarabeo with the extravagant gilding. It's such a luxe, blinged-out deck, and I can read it better than any other historical or TdM deck.

Le Fanu

My changes fluctuate. I like different decks at different times - though never (weirdly) the Visconti - I'm never in a Visconti phase.

The Pierre Madenié has survived the last few years of "favourite deck" lists. It used to be the Vieville. But now I find the Vieville just too crooked and I've discovered that I need to see expressive eyes. If they are just scratchy, obliterated inhuman dots, I can't read with it. I need the eyes to be communicative.

I also like the LoS Ancient Tarot of Marseilles. The flourescent one that comes up on ebay for like $1,000.

JylliM

I like lots of historical decks, but I think the Chosson TdM might be my favourite. It's been reproduced by Tarot de Marseille Heritage, and is available at http://www.tarot-de-marseille-herit....html?osCsid=14573feffe13245f2a7646d4064ae461

The fluidity of the lines is outstanding, and considering they are woodcut, just incredible. And then the effect of the stencilling, which makes the colouring very imprecise, I find appealing as well. Anything from TdM Heritage is beautifully produced, too.

Nemia

I have only cheap reproductions... no Meneghello decks etc, that's a dream I won't be able to fulfill. But I love the Vacchetta by LoS (I trimmed it and it came alive) and the Ancient Italian, and also Duck Soup's version of the Gumppenberg, the Danneggiato.

lyricsoul

The original Visconti-Sforza is my favorite but oddly enough the reproductions I've seen haven't called to me. There's something about them that bothers me but I can't put my finger on it. (Though they've been sitting in my Amazon Wishlist for forever and I should just bite the bullet and buy them already)

EmpyreanKnight

The Pierre Madenié and the LS Golden Visconti. I don't have the Sola Busca yet, but I know that it shall be firmly ensconced along my favorites once I get my grubby hands on it.

page of ghosts

Thanks everyone, some very interesting decks in this thread. I'm in the same boat as Nemia, cheap reproductions is where I'm at. Is the Vacchetta Tarot the same as Tarot of the Master? That one is very high up on my wish list :D

Abrac

Yes, Lo Scarabeo's version of the Vacchetta is Tarot of the Master. Il Meneghello's is called Naibi di Giovanni Vacchetta. LS's is okay but Il Meneghello's is unbelievable. The colors are rich and vibrant. It's just very nice in every way.

At the moment the Sola Busca is probably my favorite. It's been reproduced in many versions.

Rose Lalonde

Pierre Madenié

(And I love the 17 extant cards of the Estensi / Gringonneur. I bought the Golden Tarot of the Renaissance mainly to have those.)