View Single Post
Citizen

foolMoon 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrac View Post
I agree, if a person wants to use the deck for divination and has no real interest in understanding Waite's underlying philosophy then there's really no need to; but I don't believe the symbolism is intended only in a generalized sense, that's the genius of Waite's symbolism. The deck was designed and presented as a divination deck, it can be used by anyone and they'll see in it what they want to see; but Waite had definite ideas as to what the symbols represent at their core. Their meaning is hiding in plain sight and can be understood if a person desires to do so and puts forth a little effort. As he explains in the PKT, the symbols represent "all the implicits of the human mind," that is, everyone has the potential to know the secret doctrine but few ever discover it. From the PKT, "The Tarot and Secret Tradition":
"The Tarot embodies symbolical presentations of universal ideas, behind which lie all the implicits of the human mind, and it is in this sense that they contain secret doctrine, which is the realization by the few, of truths imbedded in the consciousness of all, though they have not passed into express recognition by ordinary men."
Waite a minute What was his underlying intention of hiding the Tarot symbolism? What was his underlying philosophy?

I roughly read from somewhere that he was critical to conventional Christianity with lack of mysticism practiced in churches at the time.

ETA: Ok, his idea that people can find the true symbolism in the Tarot, if they tried. But I am not quite understanding the reasons behind that process / philosophy - would there be some massive benefits in spiritual or divinatory sense? Or could it not be regarded as time consuming pointless treasure hunt game by some cynics? I am just curious.
Top   #40