One Deck Wonder

Emily

I did the 'One Deck Wonder' Study the first time round in 05 too - I used the Tarot of the Old Path a brand new deck bought just in time for this study.

I'd always flitted from deck to deck and the only other deck I'd been faithful to was the Morgan Greer.

I loved every second of the Study - It felt like going straight back to basics and starting again, focusing so much of my energy on one deck, it was never boring and I don't think it limited me as a reader by just sticking to one deck. I did fall off the wagon with the Golden once and a RWS but I felt no guilt and just carried on. I did it for around 5 or 6 months I think and by that time it just felt right to move on and add more decks to my reading inner circle.

It changed my style of reading, and it made me more open to other interpretations and not just standard book meanings, I started to learn how to read intuitively which was something I'd never done. I gained so much from this experience and in such a short time - my only regret is that I didn't carry it on for longer because even after I'd finished the study the Old Path still got used daily for a good 6 months after that.

I'm really tempted to do it again with the Thoth or Thoth clone like the Deva or Via tarots - I'll have to see. :)

Pipistrelle

Sulis said:
Hi Pip,
The lack of facial features means that you're intuition puts them there so that their facial expressions are just right for each reading.
This is one of the most striking things about the deck: even in the short time I've had it, I've found I can read so much into the postures and the faces, even though there are no details. I've written elsewhere - and someone else has written in this thread - that the ITT seems to take away the feeling that you're trying to work out the creator's meaning. There is a direct connection between reader and cards. I think this is going to be a fantastic exercise. :)

Emily

Well that didn't quite work out as planned.

When I did this study the last time I asked the Old Path 'How well will we work together' for the study and it gave me The Hermit which is titled The Wise one. And I did have a fantastic time with the Old Path.

This time round I asked the same question of the Via Tarot - it gave me the equivalent of The Tower - not a good start.

I then got the Deva Tarot out and asked the same question - I got the 3 Swords - probably worse than the Tower.

So then I got my newest baby out - Victorian Romantic - same question and I got the Sword King, The Fool and the Pentacle 8. So for this study I'm using the Victorian Romantic. :D

I'll try for 6 months again and see how I go.

Umbrae

I recommend (and since I 'invented' this gig I have that right - to recommend or suggest) not using a really fancy or high priced deck.

I strongly recommend that you do not use a deck/book. In fact when this exercise started with Elf in 2005 – Books were a No-No.

Just you.

And one deck.

Nothing else.

No rules about a card a day.

No mandatory posting.

Just you and one very basic deck.

And a spiral topped steno-pad for note taking.

a_shikhs

This sounds like a good idea. I am so dying to connect with my Victorian Romantic Tarot after exams. I think I'll try the one deck wonder with the Victorian Romantic Tarot for a month or two and see how it goes. :)

Little Baron

Thanks everyone.

A lot of us are using the Romantic.

I think that we should do whatever suits us. As Umbrae suggests, I will leave the book on the shelf [even though I have read it] because I think that this is the kind of study that requires personal reactions. A time to get to know it in a way that all others tudying the deck, will not. All different.

Thanks for your support, all.

Let's get the show on the road then.

Join in when you can and lets fill each other in with progress.

LB

Little Baron

HearthCricket said:
Just curious about another possibility of a one-deck wonder enterprise. I've been working with the Morgan Greer, quite happily, for a month or so, now. I feel like I am ready for a change, but not completely. What about keeping my Morgan Greer at hand and using one more deck alongside. In other words, now that I have a lot of the Morgan Greer images in my mind, and learning a lot through the book "Spiritual Tarot", what if I pulled out the Fenestra or something and did my readings with that, but then pull out the same cards from my Morgan Greer to compare and contrast with, thus pulling my old one-deck wonder into my new one-deck wonder experience? Does that make any sense? I hope so!

Right now I am debating on the Fenestra, Sacred Rose or back to the Gilded, and working it alongside my Morgan Greer...

Now, you naughty little HC!

*LB sends HC to go back to the front door of this thread to see what label is on the front - he whispers that this is not the 'Two Deck Wonder' thread, hehe*

But seriously, if you are having such a good time with the Morgan, why not travel even deeper with it and see what adventures lurk even further into it's depths. Sounds like you are onto forming a really good connection with that one.

LB