Studying Tarot history.... where to start/what to read

Sophie

Robert Place's book The Tarot takes up the Neoplatonic theory for the trumps. It's definitely worth reading.

prudence

Oh, I see....I was going at it like it was just a fact....Thank you for nipping that in the bud. :) (it could have been a long confusing road for me)

Robert Place, okay, I'll check it out with the above firmly in mind.

Rosanne

I thought I might add to the mix, the first chapter of Lee Irwin's Book Gnostic Tarot: Mandalas for spiritual Transformation
It is an enjoyable and thorough dance through the early roots of Tarot, the esoteric history, and the decks of the last 100 years or so. It also has an extensive bibliography.
~Rosanne

Aalore

these are definitely some great links

Psykees

Origins of the Tarot

I have a book coming out this year, available worldwide through Random House, that will focus on the Neoplatonic origins of the triumphs. But not to go on about that...

Lleminawc

The classic reference for Tarot history is surely Michael Dummett's monumental The Game of Tarot - long OOP but available in some libraries. Dummett is of course extremely unsympathetic to the esoteric tradition and I'm sure he would be appalled to know that my college library has shelved his book in the "Paranormal" section ...

He also wrote a nice little illustrated guide to the Visconti-Sforza cards.

The Game of Tarot
# Hardcover: 600 pages
# Publisher: United States Games Systems (June 1980)
# Language: English
# ISBN-10: 0715610147
# ISBN-13: 978-0715610145

The Visconti-Sforza Tarot Cards
# Hardcover: 141 pages
# Publisher: George Braziller (April 1986)
# Language: English
# ISBN-10: 0807611409
# ISBN-13: 978-0807611401

eugim

Hello everybody here..
I strongly suggest with regard to the Tarot de Marseilles the book of Tchalai Unger " Tarot the answer of the future "

Her Motto " TAROT IS IN THE TAROT "

My best,

Eugim

Bernice

Psykees: What is your books' name?

Bee

starlightexp

Wicked Pack of Cards is still inprint in the UK and on demand..it's still like close to $60 American, but at least its something one can still get without too much pain

VGimlet

<snipped>
le pendu said:
Many people, including myself, would consider Wicked Pack of Cards to be essential reading for anyone seriously interested in tarot history. It's out of print, expensive, and hard to find. I personally find it to be the classic.

Decker, Ronald, Thierry Depaulis, & Michael Dummett
Wicked Pack of Cards
996 ISBN 0715627139 or ISBN 0312162944

I got a copy through my public library on inter-library loan. I am re-reading it now, and it makes much more sense now than when I read it 10 years ago. :p