Andy B. and Rana George (Books)

decan

Hi everyone,

I bought recently two books: the first one is "Lenormand Thirty Six Cards" by Andy Boroveshengra, and the second "The Essential Lenormand" by Rana George.
I began to read each of these books and both seem very good, with their own style. Well, I don't regret!

Nevertheless I have a little question for those who know these books and Lenormand tradition.
I have the impression that the Andy's book have a more classical approach and that the Rana George's book maybe a bit less.
Actually I don't know if Rana George added some meanings with regard to some cards in relation to her own practice and experiences as a fortune-teller, and I am sure she is a great reader.
So, here is my question: is Andy very classical in his presentation and Rana George more creative?
Thanks!

danieljuk

in my view yes, but my technique is a little creative and less classical. However I own both as well and no one describes/ teaches GT's like Andy does :) I think they are both good references to own! But I own about 4 Lenormand books and they are all quite different in different areas, I pick and choose what to take from them :thumbsup:

Barleywine

I agree! Andy is more traditional, and it's his methods that I adopted for my personal use. Rana covers a lot more ground and techniques, and is wonderfully readable in an anecdotal sense. But Andy's book I've read twice now - and I have a ton of his old blog and AT posts in my reference binder - while I haven't opened Rana's since I finished it.

ETA: I think you'll find that most modern writers pile on a lot of additional meanings, while the more traditional ones stick with a core meaning or two and not much else.

Astraea

Andy and Rana are traditionalists within their own lineages, to which they bring viewpoints gleaned from personal experience and practice. Both of their books are worth having. I personally gravitate toward Rana's approach, but I appreciate Andy's perspective and often refer to his book.

decan

I thank you for you answers, they are much appreciated and help me very much!!

DownUnderNZer

Traditional might be a better term.

I do not have the books, but have interacted and/or seen threads/comments with both Andy a number of times (AT) and Rana George once or twice (FB).

I was taught traditional by two German women (French and German systems) and adapted the style of reading to a more freer style a few years later when I came across Steinbach's book. Interacted with her as well only she was retentive with her "method".

Andy follows the German system and Rana follows the French one only she seems to have adapted her own style perhaps and has more of a lighter approach.

Hi everyone,

I bought recently two books: the first one is "Lenormand Thirty Six Cards" by Andy Boroveshengra, and the second "The Essential Lenormand" by Rana George.
I began to read each of these books and both seem very good, with their own style. Well, I don't regret!

Nevertheless I have a little question for those who know these books and Lenormand tradition.
I have the impression that the Andy's book have a more classical approach and that the Rana George's book maybe a bit less.
Actually I don't know if Rana George added some meanings with regard to some cards in relation to her own practice and experiences as a fortune-teller, and I am sure she is a great reader.
So, here is my question: is Andy very classical in his presentation and Rana George more creative?
Thanks!

decan

Thanks; yes, traditional is probably a better term.
Currently I think that the Andy's book is more in line with what I am searching.

To understand how to read a Grand Tableau according to the rule book is as well important for me because I think I will do a Grand Tableau for each season!

Barleywine

Andy and Rana are traditionalists within their own lineages, to which they bring viewpoints gleaned from personal experience and practice. Both of their books are worth having. I personally gravitate toward Rana's approach, but I appreciate Andy's perspective and often refer to his book.

Thanks, I forgot about the different lineages. I began with Andy's input here on the forum and the "PL" (Phillipe Lenormand) sheet, so that always seemed to define "the tradition" for me. I like his narrower view of interpretation, since it doesn't drown you in detail the way elaborate chains of keyword meanings can. He also takes a very literal view of the use of Lenormand for practical questions rather than for "psychological profiling." I can see Lenormand becoming "infected" with the New Age paradigm; I lived through that from its inception and have come to see it as metaphysically bankrupt in its latter-day form. Not to say that Rana George jumped on that and dismissed older approaches the way some other writers have, although I see it as a creeping trend acoss the board. But I suppose people have to sell books to a younger generation weaned on the more elastic dimensions of tarot.

decan

Your responses and inputs help me very much, thanks again!
I don't know if I will stay with Rana's book, maybe I will prefer Caitlin Matthews' book with regard to Lenormand, this latest was my third choice on my "wishlist".
Concerning Andy's book it's okay with me, I don't doubt.

It's very difficult to make a good choice with regard to books, and a good choice for me won't be necessarily a good choice for someone else, it depends on the personality and on what we are looking for.
Personally, in relation to Lenomand I could be more traditional in my choices, but progressive as well. With regard to the Tarot probably a bit less traditional.
I got the Hermit as advice for this summer, and so I need to focus!!

Village Witch

I have several Lenormand books. I find it helps give me a more rounded perspective of the card meanings.

When I first explored Andy's work, I found the cards to be very negative. All my GT's were doom and gloom. It is what it is, right? Rana gave me a more positive outlook while Caitlin Matthews gave me more detail.

Now that I am getting a better handle on the cards, I am looking to explore Andy's book again.