Gilded -- First Impressions

RedMaple

Maybe we could start with first impressions of the deck and why we were drawn to it.

What drew me to this deck was the image of Judgement. It was so different from anything I'd seen. This beautiful trumpeter with a winged headress, the long lashes on the downcast eyes. I thought it was an interesting take on the Judgement card, and very beautiful. I liked the dark background, as well.

Now that I have the deck, I find the colors extraordinarily deep and vibrant. I'm looking foward to exploring the images more closely.

I like to do comparative Tarot work -- looking at the cards one by one as compared to other decks, and seeing what might be unique about this particular deck. Anyone else interested in this approach? Also, most important to me is the story I see in the card -- and this relates I guess to the specificity of the image.

One unique aspect to this deck seems to be these fantastic machines that seem both scientific and magical (which is, I think how CM describes them in the book.) I find them fascinating, but haven't read with the deck yet, so I'm not sure how they will work in readings.

souljourney

What drew me to the deck were the images overall. I actually went to the local "new age" store with a friend to just look around. I started looking at all the tarot decks and something said "just get one"... it will help you and help in your spiritual path. I began to look at them all. The thing I don't like about most decks is the art.
It was love at first site with this deck. Just from the box these images were fantastic, colorful, "realistic", lots of stuff on each card. I like that it's based on "traditional" RWS imagry, but yet not a clone.
Although I have other decks now I'm still really new to tarot, just a few months and this has always been the deck I wanted to give most of my attention to... well at least first, to learn with.
I'm wondering if comparative work would jumble things up for me or help me. Just a thought.
I also like that this deck has something more than a LWB. That helps as a beginner, but I find the cards have enough imagry that mostly I can look at a card and intuitivly get at least an impression of a meaning. The cards I have the most trouble with are the court cards.

annik

For me, it's started at the first tarot meet up over here. We show our favorite cards from decks we brought in. I had show the hierophant from the Olympus tarot and said that I seems attracted to cards that show planets on it. So the Gilded tarot was suggested to me because of that.

The next meetup, WolfyJames was kind enough to show me her deck and I bought it not long after that.

RedMaple

That's cool. I hadn't really thought about the planets on the cards.

pintogdss

I can't speak from actual physical experience with the Gilded deck, but my online impressions were that of a deep spiritual attraction to the depth of color and light in the cards. Both on a mental and ethereal plane...if that makes sense. To tell you the truth, I am waiting for the Tarot of Dreams deck with baited breath...it feels like it has a deeper spiritual quality to it, but I won't be able to tell for sure until I can connect physically with both decks.

Amazon has shipped my Gilded deck as of yesterday, so I will be able to participate more fully in this study group next week.

So far my favorite card is the Star. I love the light coming from her third eye, and it just resonates with me strongly...Hope, serenity, things flowing effortlessly, a sense of tranquility (even in the face of chaos and adversity) Intuitively knowing that all is well, love, heart openings...light at the end of the tunnel...Being in a higher state of conciousness brings about peace of mind, unconditional love for humanity...let go of ego and life flows easily the path is lit by the heavens/Star. It reminds me that if we choose the path that is lit with love and light (listen to our heart/ intuition), we can't make a wrong decision.

One thing I've noticed with studying the cards online is that the borders of the cards distract me greatly...I am hoping that changes when I get my actual deck. The gold borders seem to glow and bring my eye outward...

All the best,

Lisa

RedMaple

pintogdss said:
I can't speak from actual physical experience with the Gilded deck, but my online impressions were that of a deep spiritual attraction to the depth of color and light in the cards. Both on a mental and ethereal plane...if that makes sense. To tell you the truth, I am waiting for the Tarot of Dreams deck with baited breath...it feels like it has a deeper spiritual quality to it, but I won't be able to tell for sure until I can connect physically with both decks. .........

.......One thing I've noticed with studying the cards online is that the borders of the cards distract me greatly...I am hoping that changes when I get my actual deck. The gold borders seem to glow and bring my eye outward...

You might want to check out some of the threads on trimming the borders of your cards. I have trimmed several of my decks, and like them much better borderless.

I have seen a Gilded deck that was trimmed to the inner gold line, which went through the middle of the jewels. It was much less distracting, and I felt I could see the images on the deck much more clearly. I haven't trimmed mine yet, though I may in the future.

Edited to add: I don't think I will trim this deck. Now that I've been doing readings, I find the jewels become very node-like, as places of connection, and I like the way the jewel colors reinforce the emotional meanings of the cards. I don't find the gold borders at all distracting in a reading, although if I just look at individual cards, my eyes do go to the borders. Interesting -- a different pattern is formed when the cards are laid down.

Does anyone know what these strange wands are? Are they something real or an imaginary thing. They look kind of like pens, then there's that bracelet at the end -- a shape I've seen used as a symbol of civilization by the Celts, I think. It would be an interesting symbol -- writing and civilization of our passions and energy.

pintogdss

Thanks for the info about trimming the cards...I think I will give them a while, and then trim if it's really driving me crazy. I would have never thought of trimming cards!

After further study, I see that the jewels on the sides of the cards are colored differently, and it will be helpful for me.

Curious to see what those wands are too...perhaps Mr. Marchetti will chime in and give us the artists perspective??? I'd also love more insight into the machinery images in the deck.

All the best,

Lisa

RedMaple

After my initial introduction to the cards, I've started to do some readings, and have found the cards very easy to read, very evocative. I like the way the jewels connect the cards, and though the meanings are completely available to anyone who's familiar with the RWS, there are enough little changes to make it interesting.

The deck feels warm and friendly. So far I've been doing three card, PPF spreads with a fourth card to tie the reading together. I'm really enjoying the deck so far.

souljourney

As far as readings go...I really like the way the cards have enough interest and different things to pick out. Each reading with the same card even can be different. The ones I don't find as easy are the court. They seem to lack the "background" elements that the rest of the cards have.

AmberWolf

souljourney sent me a link to the Gilded Tarot deck and told me "I got that one". I was entertaining the idea of having a deck she have to, and working /studying together, but of course feeling comfortable with the deck is more important than having the same one.

I got a Gilded Tarot deck as a Yule gift. I agree with the "deep and vibrant" colors, there is something...rich, about that deck. I still didn't had time to study it in depth.