9 of cups and its inflated ego lol

sagittarius

I have read for only 7 years now, but in that time I have never had the 9 of cups actually signify any significant genie in a bottle type moments. Recently I did a reading with the 9 of cups showing up in all three questions. And the excitement of the person seeing this made me go (gulp) because in my experience it has only ever meant "wishful thinking" and typically the card following would shed light on what their hopes were.

I have quite a few books and every single one speaks of the grandeur of the 9 of cups and one would think that following it is indeed the 10 of completion so I can see the 9 of cups as showing the fulfillment of the 10. But after all of these years Im really only seeing it as saying that "your almost there". I am only speaking of the RWS and Legend:The Arthurian Tarot decks as those are the ones I currently use, but Ive never seen any indication of liquid present in the cups.

Its like their being laid out in expectation of being filled. Its hard to see that as a wish granted, but I do see the emotional connection, like a kid holding an ice cream cone waiting for the scoops to be put on top, but their not their yet, just the emotional excitement of hoping you get an extra big scoop.

I tend to group it with the Star as far as "wishing on a star" type moments now.

Anyone else have thoughts on the 9 of cups.

Thirteen

Wish granted in the Here and Now

I have read for only 7 years now, but in that time I have never had the 9 of cups actually signify any significant genie in a bottle type moments.
Probably because it doesn't signify that :joke: The "wish card" nickname causes a lot of misunderstandings. Everyone thinks it means that whatever your'e asking for, you'll get tomorrow, like a package from Amazon. Riches, fame, a new car, true love. But it doesn't mean that AT ALL! And, in fact, I think we all should stop, stop, stop calling it that. Let's start calling it: "satisfaction." All 9's mean that in a way. "Earthly" fulfillment. If that's not enough for you, if you want spiritual fulfillment, the knowledge that all you've done will continue on after you're gone (kids carrying on your "emotional wisdom" in 10/Cups) then, yes, the 9/Cups would mean "almost there." But, ya know, most people simply want earthly gratification. And in that case, the 9's do the job.

Granted, in the RWS image, there is a "smugness" that a lot of people remark on. And yes, 9/cups can indicate (ill-dignified) selfishness and an inflated ego. The sort that says "I've got a complete collection!" But that doesn't mean it ALWAYS is an inflated ego. Or smugness. Or even "bad" selfishness as compared to the constant "selflessness" that can emotionally drain you.

Did you ever see the movie "High Fidelity"? That, to me, is the story of a man's discovery of the wisdom in the 9/Cups. Dissatisfied with his current girlfriend, he goes over past girlfriends, wondering why they didn't work out. He realizes that he thought each one "perfect" (wish granted) at the time he met them, then became disenchanted. He moved on and moved on, looking for "happily ever after..." In other words...he constantly insisted that he "wasn't there yet." That there was a 10/Cups he could get to and in that 10/Cups there would be pure perfection and bliss forever and always. But finally...finally he has this epiphany. No one on Earth is perfect, nor static and unchanging. Certainly not him. And it's foolish to keep searching for someone who lacks flaws and will always make you happy. They're not on this mortal plane. But there is, on this mortal plane, someone who can give you plenty of happiness and satisfaction. If you're willing to realize that, and enjoy them for who they are, and what they give you. If you're willing to be "satisfied."

THAT is the 9/Cups. It doesn't say, "You'll get your wish..." It says, "You have what you're wishing for right here and right now, if you're willing to see it. It's all around you. Wish granted."

lantana

I definitely get that "almost fulfilled but not quite" feeling from the Cups, though with most of my readings it's more of either an empty feeling or a "I'm getting there slowly" than inflated ego.

I think it's pretty similar to the 9 of Pents. You've built this thing for yourself after years of hard work (emotional or physical), but right now it's all just for you. The 10 is when you integrate others into your fulfillment, including them in your success or happiness. RWS shows this as some kind of marriage/family situation, but it can be also friends, chosen family, a community, etc.

ETA: There can be ego in building something for yourself, but there's loneliness too. It depends on why they had to build something all by themselves. Ego? A lack of support? The 9 of Cups is preceded by the 8 of Cups... What has the person left behind to achieve fulfillment, and why?

Thirteen

The 9 of Cups is preceded by the 8 of Cups... What has the person left behind to achieve fulfillment, and why?
They've left behind empty cups once filled with what they *thought* would satisfy them. But now it's the morning after (well, very early morning after), and they've sobered up. 8/Cups can indicate either that there is nothing left between them and the those they thought were their friends/lovers, or that the emotions they thought were deep and real...weren't. Either on their side or on the lovers/friends side (or both).

Either way, they leave in search of the real thing. But the experience was important. You can't find the real thing until you've experienced what isn't real (see my "High Fidelity" example). Note that the 8/Cups comes after 7/Cups where the person is very much indulging in daydreams--unreal stuff. 8/Cups is where they actually dive into all that unreal stuff and realize how unsatisfying it is. 9/Cups, thus, is finding the real thing. Satisfaction. Which can then lead to spiritual fulfillment and knowing how to share real emotions with all: 10/Cups.

sagittarius

Thirteen, that is a great way to explain it. I have never seen it as you have all you need right now to get it done or that you have all you asked for. Maybe even that you have all the tools you need to get to the ten, you just need to figure out how to fill the cups.

lantana, yes, I never got that smug feeling when reading and it popped up. Most of the time, the client was so grateful to see the "wish card" ( I agree Thirteen, that name makes me chill)

Thank you both for your reasoning to help me further explain this cards reason to the ones I read for.

Thirteen

Thirteen, that is a great way to explain it. I have never seen it as you have all you need right now to get it done or that you have all you asked for. Maybe even that you have all the tools you need to get to the ten, you just need to figure out how to fill the cups.
That's a very good point. The 9/cups shows a man with all the Cups needed to hold every kind of real and good emotion. He has only to fill them up and pass them out to gain that 10/Cups happiness of sharing it.