Greenwood tarot with faded titles

rif

Hi all,

I've finally joined what someone here once called the "cult of Greenwood." :) Today I received my purchased Greenwood deck, in great physical condition. Thank you Easter bunny! :D

One question: is it common for this deck to have faded print on the titles? Several minors have faint print here and there on either the top title or the bottom description. It looks like the way it was printed, rather than wear. This means some letters are faint or have broken lines. I certainly wouldn't want them to fade with time and use.

I'll feel better if this is a common thing, due to what I'm guessing is a lesser quality printing in the first place.

gregory

I wouldn't call it a lesser printing - but yes, although mine (bought when it first came out, thank goodness !) is nice dark print, I have seen many that aren't. I doubt very much if they will fade.

rif

I called it a lesser printing because some of the cards look washed out, and having seen them online I believe that's how they were printed. I assume the original art was more vibrant. This is mainly on the cards that have a dark background.

Here is a photo of a few cards with faded titles. They look better in the photo than they do in person. But you can especially see on the 5s where it looks like some ink was missing.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lfx6ag04pdm786a/Greenwood letters.jpg?dl=0

I really do like the deck though. Don't let my concern suggest otherwise. :)

gregory

Mine aren't actually very bright at all. Someone made me a mini and they are FAR brighter on that. But your artwork is rather dull, I must admit :(

ETA Actually I take that back - the white is so grey I am assuming it's a photo issue.

rif

I ended up returning that particular deck. I just didn't feel I could justify the price I paid for it, particularly as I want it to be a working deck rather than a collectible. Plus I had an unplanned plumbing expense right after my purchase!

I was recently able to buy a copy from a member of this forum, at a fair price. I don't know why I didn't think to ask here sooner. This one doesn't have faded titles which is nice.

ram

rif thank you for commenting on this.

Recently I found a NIB copy of Greenwood on facebook classified ads for sale local to me. A young man had given it to his girlfriend as a gift and she decided she'd rather have the money.

I like a lot about this deck, but to my eyes, vibrancy is missing in some of the minor arcana Ace-Ten. Literally the cards look less saturated with color.

I did look at all the cards for fading on the titles or keywords and I found that 10W, 5W, 10C, and 7C all had some fading. I'm not complaining, though--as I would never have noticed. I just noticed the different art style--which I do recognize and is very neat. It's just very faded compared to the other cards.

I'm so glad you got a copy! It seems legendary and meaningful so far.