Pros and Cons Thread #3 - Enabling and De-Enabling

rwcarter

This is the new thread for asking for and providing both enabling and de-enabling for one or more decks. Please keep posts on-topic. Overly chatty posts will be removed.

The old thread can be found here.

Sibylline

Luis Royo's I-Ching Dead Moon Tarot....yay or nay?

I love, love, love Luis Royo's artwork in this deck. I'm thinking of using it as an oracle deck instead of reading the I-Ching hexagrams on the cards. (I will occasionally dip my toe into old school I-Ching readings with the yarrow sticks, so I'm not sold on the I-Ching aspect of this deck).

How does it read as an oracle? Does the LWB help in this regard?

I'm totally on the fence, folks! Feel free to enable or de-enable me.

Michellehihi

Grail tarot

I am not sure I would like this deck...I am Christian but this thing about the grail... I don't believe in this... And the templars...are they seriously looking for the cup Jesus drank in on his last supper? Are they serious? Anyways, can I still like this deck even considering the above mentioned? Thank you!

Snowhunter

78 Tarot by Lana Zellner? I love the artwork but the price is more than I've ever spent on a single deck. I missed the damaged deck sale :(

Myrrha

I am not sure I would like this deck...I am Christian but this thing about the grail... I don't believe in this... And the templars...are they seriously looking for the cup Jesus drank in on his last supper? Are they serious? Anyways, can I still like this deck even considering the above mentioned? Thank you!

If I remember rightly, the book that comes with this deck talks about the Grail as both the cup Jesus used and one of the four treasures of British pre-Christian legend. In this way of thinking it is a stone, not a cup. Either way it is a metaphor for spiritual and emotional fulfillment and for abundance, for that which the inquirer is seeking. There is a lot of medieval mythology in these cards and the pictures are very rich for intuitive readings. If you don't believe in the Grail you might not believe in Prester John or the Fisher King either, I mean it is mythology based, not reality based.

Michellehihi

If I remember rightly, the book that comes with this deck talks about the Grail as both the cup Jesus used and one of the four treasures of British pre-Christian legend. In this way of thinking it is a stone, not a cup. Either way it is a metaphor for spiritual and emotional fulfillment and for abundance, for that which the inquirer is seeking. There is a lot of medieval mythology in these cards and the pictures are very rich for intuitive readings. If you don't believe in the Grail you might not believe in Prester John or the Fisher King either, I mean it is mythology based, not reality based.

Thank you Myrrha for this review! I found it at a very good price so I think I will buy it!

FaintlyMacabre

Thank you Myrrha for this review! I found it at a very good price so I think I will buy it!

I am not that familiar with the deck, but there were a lot of Christian beliefs in the Middle Ages that we wouldn't agree with now. (I just started a mystery series with a Templar which hardly qualifies me as an expert!)

We wouldn't entirely agree with the beliefs of our own countries' people a couple of hundred years ago most of the time.

Diana

Myrrha

Grail Tarot

I found it at a very good price so I think I will buy it!
i hope you enjoy it! A couple more things to consider though: it is a very masculine deck in terms of gender balance, not many cards feature women. The lush art style makes it feel less masculine somehow though. Also, the images and meanings are not always direct RWS interpretations.

Myrrha

Double post - sorry

FLizarraga

Lost Code of Tarot

LeFanu, your post got lost in the thread-closing shuffle, so I hadn't seen it till now.

Originally Posted by FLizarraga
I'm weirdly enabled about this deck. It looks like the love child of Patrick Valenza and Lyn Narciso, with Rachel Pollack acting as the midwife.

I think I need some de-enabling here. Bad. Michellehihi, you have it, right? Please, make me hate it....

Le Fanu: I have this. Received it a while back. Very odd. Not quite sure what to make of it, but upon closer inspection, I can see how captivating some might find it. Pips only, if that's an issue - and it is quite samey so samey plus pips might be an issue. But it has a lovely aged, sepia, papyrus colour - and slightly stiffer cardstock than the usual LoS cardstock. I think, with time, I might like it. It doesn't remind me at all of Deviant Moon or Narciso. it actually reminds me of an obscure Columbian Fournier deck called the Macondo. The same style of line drawing. I think if I were into pip decks as reading decks (I am, sort of, but they have to be more atmospheric than this one), I'd use it. I can see the appeal. It's quite a weird thing to issue as a limited edition. I don't quite get the urge... Why is this a limited edition - and it is - it has it written on the box?

I think I'd find it out to pick out distinct symbols from this artwork, but if you do look closely there is something very clever about it.

I think I need more time on this one. A good sign...

I hadn't seen the Macondo, but after googling the images I completely see the connection. I know that Valenza and Narciso don't seem like immediate matches, but I was thinking of Valenza's self-published decks and, in Narciso's case, of the Tarot de Marcelo Inciso. Those are decks with linear, intricate art, printed on sepia or sometimes even darker cardstock.

I also see something of Pre-Columbian art in those cards (some Mayan but mostly the Nazca aerial figures) and some cave art as well, but it could be all in my mind. That's why it attracts me but makes me fear that once I have it in my hands it's going to be nothing like what I was expecting.