Is performing 'Tarot Spells' a good idea?

kayman

If my thread helped you then how about thanking me as well? ;)

Also btw the spells in "Tarot Spells" are they from Wicca??

Genna

Thank you so very much for the thread kayman!
Yes I suppose the spells are Wiccan and my knowledge of spells is something I must thank Wiccan authors for. I make a cirkle like a Wiccan and if you put me to the test I expect I even could be judged to be a Wiccan witch and burned as such as they did in not so very long ago.
I believe that all religions are One. I don´t call myself Wiccan today, but I wouldn´t say I won´t call myself Wiccan some day. I honestly don´t know. Right now I call myself Christian, and I know many people don´t like Christian witches. Something about us wanting to "have it all".

Abrac

I don't believe magic necessarily has to be dangerous but it has the potential. One of the most common pitfalls is when a person does a couple of spells, and they are successful, then they start thinking it's a piece of cake and begin writing magical checks all over town they can't cover.

When you open up that door you're opening a pretty powerful can of worms. I tend to agree with the person who advised education first. A good magical mentor is probably not a bad idea either, if you can find one.

Genna

Thank you for your good advice, Abrac. You are right, when we travel between worlds there are things we don´t know about that are not good. But I always cast a circle and pray at least. I´ll try to find a mentor, Abrac.

I should aknowledge too that my favourite Tarot books and decks are Wiccan, but The Golden Dawn and Pamela Colman-Smith were Christians I believe.

Edited; grammar

divinemsm

Kayman-- I havent done the Lesser Banishing spell in a really long time. I actually find it pretty unnecesary with the type of spell work I do. A standard circle will usually do the trick just fine. An occassional cleansing of the area where you do a lot of spell work (mine is my bedroom) is something I do advise just to keep the space functional.
My experience is Wiccan, which is actually a rather new religion developed in the late 40's early 50's by Gerald Gardner and friends. Most magic and ritual before that time was usually folkmagic and festivals that the locals carried through the generations. So, no Wiccans were ever burned. In fact, most people killed during the witch hunts and burning times were not even witches, but usually like the local midwife, or someone that angered someone influential.
i absolutely agree with Vesta. Wicca and witchcraft do not have a corner on the market as far as spells. I have know many kinds of witches in my 20 odd years of being one, some of whom followed their own religious path, including Chiristian. One I knew in particular used a form of Enochian (sp?) magic that works with angels, as well as deep meditative prayer, and was a very effective witch. It does really depend on your own faith and how strongly you believe in it as to how it ties into your spell work. I have also know athiests who practice spells that are completely void of any religious references. It's a little weird to me but it works for them.
Abrac is very correct that it is really easy to fall into the pitfall of wanting to cast spells for every little thing. Understand that if you spread yourself too thin, and get a little greedy, the universe will find a way to balance things out. If you can get it done without magic, just do it. I do the laundry, cook, clean and whatnot without any magical help. Could I figure out a spell to have someone else suddenly feel the need to help me out? Probably, but by the time I put the research and energy forward to figure oout the spell and then cast it, I could just use the same amount of effort to do the job myself.
Another way of looking at this is to think of the child who is continually asking for like everything. Over and over again, every 5 minutes, and it is alway an emergency, have to have it now, life and death, etc... Now imagine that the universe is your parent, and you are casting spells for every little thing, over and over again, being very needy and annoying. How long do you think it will be before your universal parents hit the mute button? If you really want your spells to work, they have to really mean something, be for something really important to you. Watered down magic is just not effective.
Hunter you are not inconviencing anyone. You are working with your own energy and the energy of the universe which you have just as much right to as anyone else. That is a universal well that everyone of any faith can tap into without any guilt. Just make sure you take only what you need and put any extra back. Only rule.
I want to touch a little more on revenge magic here because there is something important that I want those of you who are starting to form ideas in your minds about hexing your boyfriends man=parts off and whatnot. And if you have done any searching for spell books out there, you can easily find books on hate magic. They are extremely easy to write and sell like hotcakes. And I am not so locked into the Wiccan rede anymore where I will say that there is never a time for this brand of magic. There are truly horrible people out there (murderers, rapist, molesters, scary clowns) who deserve what they get. In my opinion, people who do not at least acknowledge that there are moments when this particular type of magic is called for are niave. I wish we lived in a world where only positive magic is necessary, but we don't and it just is what it is. Would I instruct anyone to do or not do hate magic? No, and here is why: it is a very personal choice. As I said earlier, you are the only one responsible for your own actions and that very much applies to magic, even more so because it is your energy going into it. Spells are not something you can really ever take back once you cast it. You can try and cast spells to counter what you have done, but it really never works out and you end up really feeling bad. And Hate Magic is usually a huge waste of energy that can be used for way cooler things, like saving your house plants or finding money for a new deck. If this guy is really that much of an a$$clown, the universe will find a way to nail him. The world is round for a reason. Sooo...
Here is my reading list, or at least the part I can find. It is very Wiccan based because that is where my background lies. I started out Wiccan when I was around 17, and I still feel like these books are a really great source for a basic understanding of how spells work, as well as the Wiccan spirituality. You do not have to be Wiccan to cast spells nor do you need to be Wiccan to follow the belief system. I said earlier that I am not as Wiccan as I once was, adopting a more relaxed and culturally scattered form of my own little Craft that I have become comfortable with. The Wiccan rede actually holds a lot of common sense, practical spirituality that fits into everyday life, though some of it I don't take quite as literally as I once did. These are all books that I have personally read, some several times as I will never recommend a book I have never read at least once.

(read first) Heart of Wicca by Ellen Cannon Reed
Wicca: a guide for solitary practicioners by Scott Cunningham
Wicca by Viviane Crowley
Drawing Down the Moon by Margot Adler (history of witchcrraft and very boring...)
Wicca for One by Raymond Buckland
The Craft by Dorthy Morrison
The Truth About Witchcraft Today by Scott Cunningham
A Witch Alone by Marion Green
Goddess in the Details by Deborh Blake.
Practical Candleburning Rituals by Raymond Buckland
Earth, Air, Fire and Water by Scott Cunningham

There are probably a few books I am missing on here, ones that deal more with spell work. The last 2 books on the list are 2 very good spell books for beginners. I will dig around and see if I can find the complete list as it is eluding me at the moment. My advice for getting books is to look for used online. You can usually find them dirt cheap, and in pretty good shape.
I hope this helps. Thank you Kayman for starting this thread...
Laurie

Genna

That was a lot of very good advice, divinemsm. I find Wiccans are often very helpful people. I know I have a lot to learn. And thank you for that list of books. I promise to study them. Thanks again for caring.

Edited to add; I have read some Scott Cunningham, Silver Ravenwolf and Amber K.

ilweran

divinemsm said:
Finally, one of my favorite sayings, "Be careful what you cast for because you just might get it".

This is so true. Be very careful what you ask for - be as specific as possible. I needed a job once and just did spell to get a job. Any job. I got the next job I applied for and spent the next 3 years in a job I hated :rolleyes:

Abrac said:
I don't believe magic necessarily has to be dangerous but it has the potential. One of the most common pitfalls is when a person does a couple of spells, and they are successful, then they start thinking it's a piece of cake and begin writing magical checks all over town they can't cover.

Many years back I used to post on the alt.religion.wicca.moderated newsgroup. Their advice to every person who posted looking for a spell for whatever was that magick is pretty much the last thing you try rather than the first.

Genna

I agree. Thank you for your good advice.

kayman

So should I still get the "Tarot Spells" book by Janina? This reviewer said that several of her spells are questionable.

The spells I had in mind were not with using various ingredients to conjure up something or in a ritual, but simply Tarot cards to represent the situation etc...

Grigori

kayman said:
So should I still get the "Tarot Spells" book by Janina? This reviewer said that several of her spells are questionable.

The spells I had in mind were not with using various ingredients to conjure up something or in a ritual, but simply Tarot cards to represent the situation etc...

I've not read it myself, but have had this book recommended a couple of times. Its not Wiccan based, but uses only a tarot deck, no other props required.
http://www.amazon.com/Portable-Magi...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1251028667&sr=8-1

I thought this was a good introduction book, a mix of GD and Wiccan appraoches, either with only tarot, or with simple assessories like a couple of candles and a favorite wand.
http://www.amazon.com/Tarot-Magic-S...=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1251028759&sr=1-4