What's YOUR reading style?

ctrymaus

Yes, that's the one!

I just ordered a copy. I'll have to wait a couple days before I order the companion book (1st of the month payday). :)

Thanks!

CountryMouse

Rhinemaiden

Using my daily draw routine... today was interesting:

RWS present - Knight of Cups
Madame Endora - Knight
Playing Card Oracle - 9 clubs (Sir Galahad, knight of the grail)

hm-m-m-m-m ;)

Barleywine

Most people who don't understand that Tarot is a philosophical tool, come to a reader (at least in my community) with a problem or a dilemma, or a set of them, and they often don't want to tell you what it is (like the person who goes to the doctor and doesn't tell them the symptoms).

So for the majority of my clients my approach is to look for strengths and weaknesses, opportunities and pitfalls, and then for suggestions as to how they can make the most of the positives and avoid or prepare for the negatives.

If a person arrives tense and leaves relieved, I feel I have been useful and I have done my job. I don't have to get deep every time, and I don't have to stay on the one track. I also feel that I cannot actually tell a client what to do in a given situation in their life: even if there is an obvious course of action, I can only recommend it and point out that any actual decision-making in their lives has to be done by them, not by me.

This is pretty much how I've always worked, especially the last part about making recommendations for the querent to consider rather than prescriptions for direct action. I've been of the philospphical persuasion that every individual has the answers (or at least the correct responses) to their questions somewhere within them, and my task is to help them uncover those answers through the art of reading as a way to move them forward. It's their decision whether they choose to act on my input.

I've never liked three-card spreads or one-card draws since they seem too anemic and devoid of the kind of interpretive depth available from even a slightly larger spread. I've been working with 5, 7 and 9-card spreads lately that are better suited to my personal vision.

moon_light

I've found that I'm very solution focused. If I don't see a way to handle the situation in the cards, I draw a clarifier asking what will help improve things or whatever is needed. That sounds very directive, but it isn't. I'm more subtle about it, but that's what underlies it. I don't want to say, "Well, here's a problem coming up," without offering something to help address it. I see tarot as giving answers (whether to the questions we ask or to their own ends), so I acknowledge and work with that aspect of it.

Onion Budgie

I like to keep things simple. For Oracle readings I prefer a three card spread, with the central card as the main focus and the cards on either side as extensions/clarifiers. I do use other variants of three card spreads, but generally no more. Too many cards and things can get messy, at least where Oracle is concerned. :) Tarot is a whole other ball game.

For my Gems Oracle deck, I tend to pluck just one card, which will give me a particular crystal to work with that day, as well as a few words of advice.

MysticMoonlight

I usually go with a 3 card draw with Oracles to give me a feel for things that are going on. If/when a card or cards hit on something profound or particularly intriguing in my life at the time, I may draw one or two more cards depending on what is "said" to allow for a better or more complete understanding of the "story" it is discussing with me. It's kind of interactive, if I feel the deck has more to say about something, I draw more cards, giving it a chance to tell the whole story or bigger picture.

ctrymaus

I usually go with a 3 card draw with Oracles to give me a feel for things that are going on. If/when a card or cards hit on something profound or particularly intriguing in my life at the time, I may draw one or two more cards depending on what is "said" to allow for a better or more complete understanding of the "story" it is discussing with me. It's kind of interactive, if I feel the deck has more to say about something, I draw more cards, giving it a chance to tell the whole story or bigger picture.

When you are drawing further cards beyond the initial 3 cards, do you shuffle in between? Or how do you do that?

Thanks!

CountryMouse

MysticMoonlight

When you are drawing further cards beyond the initial 3 cards, do you shuffle in between? Or how do you do that?

Thanks!

CountryMouse

Hello CountryMouse :) Most of the time I do not shuffle in between. On occasion I do but very rarely...I just go with my gut feeling and intuition. If I get a strong urge to shuffle I go with it but more often than not I just continue pulling from the top of the deck.