GENTLE vs KICK IN THE PANTS Oracles?

Silmaril23

I recently bought the Devas of Creation Oracle and it feels VERY powerful to me...much more "kick in the pants" than soft affirmations. A ton of beauty there too, though. Also, the meanings are much more structured and deep than most oracle decks, it seems. There is a balanced amount of shadow, too.

I did a reading with it for my husband and it was firm and fair...he was extremely impressed and now wants me to use this deck with him rather than any of my Tarot decks!

The card stock is not great, sadly. But I edged mine in black and that helped. The art itself is breathtaking, in my opinion.

EDIT: link is here: http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/devas-of-creation/

The link points you to the artist's site, but I actually purchased my deck from Amazon.

Bscotty38

I find that Wisdom Of The Oracle by Colette Baron-Reid is pretty direct. It leans toward the positive, but there is a good mix of light and shadow. I find The Enchanted Map to be similar in style.

Penthasilia

Just wanted to post as I finally had a chance to use the Cosmos tarot+oracle set.

First of all, I have to say the tarot feels like a tarot. Yes the associations, and sometimes the meanings, deviate from "traditional" tarot- but it is definitely a tarot when I read it and so I found they work well together- but not mushed together. I shuffle each separately and then do a layout with the tarot, and a smaller one with the oracle deck.

That being said- this one is a winner for me. Clear, crystal clear- detail oriented clear- which I enjoy. I hate the froufrou, ultra-spiritual, these are the "energies behind it" type of readings that don't give me anything to really hang my hat on. It is why I like lenormand- straight up answers.

Well folks- this one is straight up answers and it does not play. Sometimes the answers are pleasant- and sometimes they are a kick in the teeth. Overall, I had no idea I would like this set as well as I do, but these decks have hit the top of my reading list.

Hope that helps some- I am happy to give more detail if anyone has questions.

banbha

You could look in to the Arthur Rackham oracle, perhaps. I also find the Earthbound to be quite blunt and no-nonsense. You can search for sample readings of mine in both instances.

Yes, the Rackham pulls no punches. It's also gorgeous. I agree about the Earthbound too. :)

JDusk

Just wanted to post as I finally had a chance to use the Cosmos tarot+oracle set.

First of all, I have to say the tarot feels like a tarot. Yes the associations, and sometimes the meanings, deviate from "traditional" tarot- but it is definitely a tarot when I read it and so I found they work well together- but not mushed together. I shuffle each separately and then do a layout with the tarot, and a smaller one with the oracle deck.

That being said- this one is a winner for me. Clear, crystal clear- detail oriented clear- which I enjoy. I hate the froufrou, ultra-spiritual, these are the "energies behind it" type of readings that don't give me anything to really hang my hat on. It is why I like lenormand- straight up answers.

Well folks- this one is straight up answers and it does not play. Sometimes the answers are pleasant- and sometimes they are a kick in the teeth. Overall, I had no idea I would like this set as well as I do, but these decks have hit the top of my reading list.

Hope that helps some- I am happy to give more detail if anyone has questions.

Another Cosmos fan! I agree, to me it feels very tarot. You could use it as an oracle, of course, and it won't pull its punches - but a lot of my enjoyment of it is from the way that it seems to take facets of the traditional tarot system and transform them for new perspectives on the cards. Often it's in the areas of overlap that I find the answer to my questions.

And, like you say... crystal clear, no mincing words. One of my first draws, I asked it how it would feel about doing a bunch of quick light/playful draws to help "calibrate," and it gave me Death/Caelum, with keywords of configuration and refinement. Well. There you go. Accuracy is definitely one of its strong points, in my experience.

The oracle deck is a bit more abstract and big-picture oriented... I tend to draw one oracle card per larger spread and that tells me what I need to know about the overall situation, but I haven't used it much on its own. But it's definitely not "fluffy" either.

I do feel this deck is a bit underrated. I posted a thread under study groups a couple days and I feel I might be the only one interested, but even studying it on my own has been fascinating.

MysticMoonlight

Gentle=Oracle of Mermaids by Selina Fenech

Kick In The Pants=Fallen Angel Oracle Cards by Nigel Suckling

Citrin

Ha! The more I think about it the more I realize most of my oracle decks are very comforting?

The Sacred Rebels can give me a kick in the butt when I feel no hope and pity myself, but it's in a very empowering way like "Oh c'mon you're awesome!". So not a harsh one really...

Fallen Angel Oracle I can imagine many would view as an ass-kicker lol but I sometimes can't take that deck seriously because almost all of the cards are negative??

Okay, Ceccoli Oracle, that one for sure gets under my skin and makes me face reality. ;)

Comforting decks, oh many... :) Mother Mary Oracle, Magdalene Oracle, Gaia Oracle, Soul Trees, Animal Kin... :)

Glass Owl

One deck that gives me a "kick in the pants" is the Divine Circus Oracle. It does it in a playful way too.

Miss Divine

Fallen Angels was definitely a kicker in the pants. No longer have that deck.

The Faerytale Oracle by Lucy Cavendish.. Believe it or not but that thing will give ya a good kickin'! :D

The Faery Forest by Lucy Cavendish as well. Man, these cards can be nasty!! ;)

And the Fairy Ring Oracle.

Those dang fae don't fool around eh!?