Death as feelings clarified by Devil

hulpster

Hi, just wondering how you interpret Death clarified by Devil as feelings (RW deck). This is a romantic interest.

I have read a number of posts which suggest no feelings but that doesn't sit right with me. This is a Major after all, and Death as a concept in itself i think brings up a range of emotions for most people.

This is a person with whom I don't have contact with. Death suggests to me transition, change and evolution of feelings.

Clarified by the Devil however I get the feeling that Death is really about sexual feelings. Perhaps whatever they feel is unwanted. They are uncomfortable with whatever they feel.

I couldn't say why if that is the case as I have only met them a couple of times.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Thirteen

Relishing the tragedy

This is a person with whom I don't have contact with. Death suggests to me transition, change and evolution of feelings.
You got two out of three ;) Death is not an "evolution" of feelings. Death is Death. Everything comes to an end. The goldfish dies, a restaurant closes, a television series ends. Done. Over. That often *HAS* to happen for there to be a transition or change, right? You might not buy a new fish until the old one has passed away. Might not try a new restaurant as long as your old favorite is in business. And might not move onto another series so long as your old one is still putting out episodes (obviously, some of us do get a second fish, go to other restaurants, etc. But some don't. For them, DEATH is what's needed for them to transition/change).

But evolution? No. Evolution at it's most basic means we adapt to the new situation. And Death doesn't guarantee that. You my try the new restaurant...but there's no guarantee that you will ever forget the old or think "Gosh, this one is as good (or better)." You may always miss your old fish, your old television show. You may not evolve.

And there-in lies that Devil card. Because the Death card, feelings wise, is where we mourn. It's not just "change/transition!" We have to mourn first. No getting out of it. We have to feel that sadness and pain of loss. And if we are having a real hard time letting go...we end up with the Devil. Unable to free ourselves from the thing we've lost, from the sadness. We don't try a new television show, we just re-watch the old over and over again. We chain ourselves to it. Like Queen Victoria, we relish the mourning, we indulge in the tragedy of loss.

And we make sure everyone around us knows it, too. We make them part of the play.

I don't know who this romantic interest is, but if they had a bad break up in the past...they're holding onto it. And they relish the sad story of it. And they're addicted to the tragedy of it. And they will let you know all about it, at length...and you may well feel there's no way you'll compare. No way you'll get them to see you as the one to take the place of that old romance.

rwcarter

:bugeyed: After reading Thirteen's post, I just learned a whole bunch of stuff I never knew before! Thanks Thirteen!

CreativeFire

:bugeyed: After reading Thirteen's post, I just learned a whole bunch of stuff I never knew before! Thanks Thirteen!

Me too! I had not thought of Death and the Devil like that together before - yes, thanks Thirteen :)

Cheers
CF

hulpster

You got two out of three ;) Death is not an "evolution" of feelings. Death is Death. Everything comes to an end. The goldfish dies, a restaurant closes, a television series ends. Done. Over. That often *HAS* to happen for there to be a transition or change, right? You might not buy a new fish until the old one has passed away. Might not try a new restaurant as long as your old favorite is in business. And might not move onto another series so long as your old one is still putting out episodes (obviously, some of us do get a second fish, go to other restaurants, etc. But some don't. For them, DEATH is what's needed for them to transition/change).

But evolution? No. Evolution at it's most basic means we adapt to the new situation. And Death doesn't guarantee that. You my try the new restaurant...but there's no guarantee that you will ever forget the old or think "Gosh, this one is as good (or better)." You may always miss your old fish, your old television show. You may not evolve.

And there-in lies that Devil card. Because the Death card, feelings wise, is where we mourn. It's not just "change/transition!" We have to mourn first. No getting out of it. We have to feel that sadness and pain of loss. And if we are having a real hard time letting go...we end up with the Devil. Unable to free ourselves from the thing we've lost, from the sadness. We don't try a new television show, we just re-watch the old over and over again. We chain ourselves to it. Like Queen Victoria, we relish the mourning, we indulge in the tragedy of loss.

And we make sure everyone around us knows it, too. We make them part of the play.

I don't know who this romantic interest is, but if they had a bad break up in the past...they're holding onto it. And they relish the sad story of it. And they're addicted to the tragedy of it. And they will let you know all about it, at length...and you may well feel there's no way you'll compare. No way you'll get them to see you as the one to take the place of that old romance.

Hi Thirteen thanks very much for your take on this. What you say is plausible.. from what I can gather, he did have a bad break up but that was a few years ago now. She may still be on his mind though. He did mention her on our first date, but that was more in the context of us sharing our past stories.

I suppose in answer to the question 'what are his feelings' towards me i gather from your interpretation it means 'he has no feelings for me because he is too preoccupied and unable to let go of his past.'

The outcome of this situation i.e. where are things headed between us was Ace/Pentacles. Normally i read this as a new opportunity presenting itself however i don't necessarily see it as positive in this reading because i cant see him reaching out to me. Maybe it just means i will remain practical or something along those lines.

Curious1

Personally, I don't see these cards as having "no feelings", but that his feelings for you are no longer what they once were as those feelings have "died". And, the presence of the Devil could indicate what those feelings are now…selfish and unhealthy. IOW, I think he's using you. An example of this might be staying in a relationship with Mr./Ms. Wrong while looking for Mr./Ms. Right.

OR, the Devil as a clarifier could indicate what feelings have died...the selfish and unhealthy ones. Food for thought...

Thirteen

Hard to replace...

I suppose in answer to the question 'what are his feelings' towards me i gather from your interpretation it means 'he has no feelings for me because he is too preoccupied and unable to let go of his past.'
Or he has trouble seeing your excellent and unique qualities, rather than seeing what you're lacking compared to his old girlfriend. Have you ever seen the movie "Anne Hall"? It's about a relationship. At one point, Alvy (our main character) and Annie Hall rent a vacation place in Maine and try to make their own lobster dinner. The live lobsters escape and they have to hunt them down. One goes behind the refrigerator. They laugh and shriek together as they try to capture it.

Later in the movie, they break up. Alvy, sure enough, brings a new girlfriend to that same vacation place and tries to have a lobster dinner with her. As he chases down another escaped lobster she watches, bored, asking him what the big deal is. The message is clear: she doesn't measure up to Anne. BUT there is another, more important message...Alvy doesn't want someone different. He wants someone exactly like Anne (if he can't have Anne). Even if this was a good new girlfriend, he wouldn't be able to see what wonderful things she brings to the table. Only that she doesn't bring what Anne brought.

So, even if your guy is over his old girlfriend, she may still be his relationship yardstick. If a new lady is close enough to the qualities he cherished in that old girlfriend, he'll like her. If she doesn't measure up, then he won't. In the simplest terms, a lot of us in this modern world, where we can get an exact replacement (or upgrade) for what we lose (computer breaks? Get exact same kind replacement or better)...we have a hard time getting over the loss of "one-of-a-kind" people or things. We have a hard time accepting that we can't replace them (the best stuff about them) exactly. So, when we buy a new goldfish, we expect that new goldfish to be indistinguishable from the old one. And if it's not...we have trouble accepting it.

I think Death says that. He feels required to measure you against what he lost. And I think the Devil clarifier says...well "The Devil is in the details." He may not want to feel bothered by the fact that you lack this small thing or do that small thing differently than his old girlfriend...but he does.