Learning Thoth

Little Baron

Hey everyone

Does anybody know of any good sites that teach the Thoth from a real beginners level - in the same way as Joan Bunnings site teaches with the Rider Waite. I have the Banzhaf book but it seems a little complex for me at the moment and wondered if there was a website for the complete novice/Thoth dunce!!!

I have had this deck laying arounf for quite a while nowand the complexity of it (even though the depth is an asset) is what holds me back from getting stuck in. Thought it would be a good deck to finally get to know while I am back at university - if I ever get any free time.

Thanks

Yaboot

Little Baron

Thanks LouiQ

Another book to add to the list for when the student loan comes in! The Bazhaf book is full of useful information - it just goes over my head somewhat. Hopefully, this book will tell me plain and simply.

How are you finding this deck? Have you made a good start with it yet?

Best wishes

Yaboot

Scorpion

Must confess that I haven't done much with it except sit and admire it! In fact, I just bought the large (green) version yesterday as I didn't feel I was connecting with the medium-sized deck and it's off to a new home. I've got the Banzhaf too but don't find it easy. I've got plenty of other decks to be getting on with, so I thought I might dip into the Thoth forum from time to time to keep my hand in and then get this book the moment it appears to see if it's any good. I am just hopeless with pip decks and need all the help I can get!

Little Baron

Same here. I have been dipping in these threads as well but there is so much to absorb and I know little about the Kabbalah so it makes it all hard work.

We'll get there. Look forward to discussing our revelations with the Thoth. We'll be masters of it one day!

Best wishes

Yaboot

Macavity

Perhaps one problem is the initial steep learning curve? If you have some other decks that are Thoth-based (there have been a few threads on this very topic!) you can go through, comparing their images alongside Thoth cards. The Thoth minors, also have rather handy keywords, and often the clone images are based on these anyway. Even if you use an RWS, a high percentage of cards will work this way too. Despite personal differences, Waite and Crowley shared the same GD background and (imo, most!) RWS images correspond too. Where clashes do exist, often these become memorable as a direct consequence of remarking on the difference! ;)

Later on you can abandon these training aids...

Macavity

Little Baron

Thanks Macavity. I will try that. I think those differences may be a good way to remember what i have learnt.

Yaboot

Alobar

The Tarot Handbook by Angeles Arrien (ISBN 0-916955-02-8) is a very accesible way to start studying the Thoth deck. it is a bit 'light', but not lacking too much in depth. there are charts and worksheets which help make your progress more tangible too.

it runs about $25, but it's pretty easy to find it used at about half that price.

and good luck!

Mimers

Hi Yaboot, I too have just started learning the Thoth deck. I bought it early this summer, and I really love it. You really don't need a book to learn it (IMHO) I think the pictures say so much.

However, it is so rich in symbolism that a good book does come in handy. I have the Angeles Arrien book and it is very good, but being that you are going back to school soon, I would suggest James Wanless' book New Age Tarot. I did a little summery on it here.

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16059

I am still working through the Majors and have not grown tired of it a bit. The fact that you do a reading for each card does a lot for getting you familiar with the deck. It is also less expensive ;) and much simpler.

Hope you enjoy the deck!

Mimi