Renaissance Tarot (Jones / Lyle) - The Hermit IX

Little Baron

Thanks Enchanted.

LB

Debra

There is a larger book which I received with the deck and gave away thinking it wasn't very helpful. Well, I did NOT find it very helpful...there's a lot more insight on these threads, actually.

Little Baron

That's good to hear Debra.

LB

WooMonkey

YAY! I also saw a bald eagle (which I found VERY interesting symbolically, until I found out that it was a white-headed raven). I was also drawn to the bare feet--rather ascetic for my taste. Perhaps he is turning away from the outer world, but he still needs to take care of himself!

Bernice

Oh dear, even with poetic licence this is a crappy raven. Aside from it's bi-colour, it seems to have the head of game bird (duck springs to mind), and real Ravens are very big = huge.

What a shame, the Hermit is one of my favourite cards..... and I'm rather fond of ravens (Wodans 'Thought and Memory').

Going away to have a deeper look at this card. I'll be back!

Bee

celticnoodle

WooMonkey said:
YAY! I also saw a bald eagle (which I found VERY interesting symbolically, until I found out that it was a white-headed raven). I was also drawn to the bare feet--rather ascetic for my taste. Perhaps he is turning away from the outer world, but he still needs to take care of himself!

I always wondered myself if it was an eagle, though I thought it strange to be so. However, I figured it must be so, as eagles are about great power and to me the hermit also suggests that. 'quiet power' if you will.

though the raven is a symbol of birth and death, and mysticism and magic. I think I associate this bird more with the magician, but I guess I can also see it as being associated w/the hermit, considering the hermit is also about birth and death.

Douglas Rhys

Debra said:
There is a larger book which I received with the deck and gave away thinking it wasn't very helpful. Well, I did NOT find it very helpful...there's a lot more insight on these threads, actually.

I own "the Secret Tarot" version of this deck, with the larger book.
According to the book: the white-headed raven is an alchemical figure.

"The raven signifies a process called the nigredo, or blackening, a stage of putrefaction, decay and darkness which was essential to the process."

This stage represents "...the withdrawal of energy from outer concerns which precedes all creative flowering and spiritual development. This is a phase which is the Hermit's domain, a phase which lays the foundations for future events."

"The raven's head is white, symbolizing the enlightenment and wisdom to be gained through what may be a challenging and lonely time." and symbolizes protection through the underworld journey.

Hope that helps someone. :)

Bernice

Douglas Rhys: According to the book: the white-headed raven is an alchemical figure.

"The raven signifies a process called the nigredo, or blackening, a stage of putrefaction, decay and darkness which was essential to the process."

This stage represents "...the withdrawal of energy from outer concerns which precedes all creative flowering and spiritual development. This is a phase which is the Hermit's domain, a phase which lays the foundations for future events."

"The raven's head is white, symbolizing the enlightenment and wisdom to be gained through what may be a challenging and lonely time." and symbolizes protection through the underworld journey.
Welcome to Aeclectic Douglas and many thanks for that info. :)

I had no idea that alchemical symbolism had been incorporated into this deck. This white-headed raven is very apt for the Hermit. Wondering now if there are any other cards with unrecognised alchemical symbols in them.

Bee :)

Enchanted

Thank you Douglas Rhys... I rarely log on here these days... although I do still love the tarot, it's my secret passion. Thank you for sharing your parts from the book and your thoughts. It is an underrated deck. It reads like a dream.

I did and do feel with this deck in it's simplicity hides many secrets... much like it's original title. :)