Decks You Wish You Hadn't Bought?

sulischild

I recently splashed out on a couple of Doreen Virtue oracle decks, and later kicked myself.

I've had her mermaids themed one for years, and quite like it. But the new ones - unicorns, fairies, that sort of thing, seemed a bit super-cheerful and kid-oriented for me. I'm not saying there shouldn't be oracle decks for kids, but it's not what I was looking for.

So, I Ebayed most of them, and kept one (fairies) in case I'm called on to do super shiny 'everything is awesome' readings at a school fete or something.

Mstworlds

Buyer's regret ....

Most of the decks I regret buying are the popular mass-produced kind that I buy on the reviews of others.

The Legacy of the Divine - Beautiful, but I can't connect or read with it at all. It just seems so cold and alien. One of the first decks I purchased.
The Tarot of the Spirit World - I've always wanted a ghost/spirit themed deck, and this LS deck just didn't fit the bill - I'm hopeful for Lisa Hunt's new ghost and spirit deck, however ... It's on my wish list.
The Celtic Tarot (LS mini) - just wrong. You can tell 4 different artists worked on it - the imagery is inconsistent in the worst way.
The Shadowscapes Tarot - Gorgeous, but just too whimsical and floral for my taste. Love the artwork, but not a reading deck for me at all.
Legend The Arthurian Tarot - Marble grey borders and pip insets are terrible.
The Mythic Tarot - I bought the first edition used at second hand bookstore. It was cheap, but that doesn't change the fact that I find the faces creepy and ick.

Decks I don't read with but will keep - as a collector, I will keep these, but will never read with them.
The Ludy Lescot - I have love/hate relationship with this deck. It seems very graphic novel, but I just adore some cards too much to get rid of it (the chariot, in this case).
The Paulina - Same as The Shadowscapes - very floral and whimsical, but has just enough of a Tim Burton vibe for me to keep.
The Silver Era - Looks way too much like someone just took a few snaps of their friends playing dress-ups - love the colour spot concept though - so it stays.
Art Nouveau (LS mini) - doesn't really convey enough meaning, but the artwork is so lovely, it stays. That and as a mini it doesn't take up much space :)

The Fenestra - this one I liked, but not enough to keep or read with, so I'm giving it to a girlfriend for her birthday - she has an interest in tarot, and the deck really seems to match her personality.

Elendil

Kingdom Within

The worst deck in my collection (and I splashed out on the large accompanying book as well).
Horrible artwork, far too glossy, far too large...
BIG REGRET.

Crystal Visions

Too much pink and purple and poor sense of proportion in many of the figures. Too many butterflies...

Ludy Lescot

Too many badly drawn cards... Particularly dislike The Star (usually a favourite card) and The Devil. Too much streaky mascara...A deck which pretends to be something that it is not.

Shining Tribe Tarot

An interesting accompanying book but such awful drawings on each and every card.

baylys

I have just read all 55 pages of this thread and almost wet myself laughing. Some of the reasons for people not liking decks are just hilarious!!!

I have a few decks I wish I hadn't bought, but I won't get rid of them because my OCD and hoarder nature takes over. I'll just move to a bigger house if I have to.

Templar Tarot - artist was on a REALLY BAD acid trip when painting that deck.
Gaian Tarot (blardy expensive limited edition) - lets all be hippy happy tree-huggers
Aura-soma Tarot - 105 cards! REALLY??? How do you shuffle that (and I've got big hands for a woman)?
James Boon 007/Tarot of Witches - what is with those shoulder pads? Scary!!!

GrailSidhe

The Mermaid Tarot: all the cards look more or less the same to me, just pretty girls posing, not much of a message in them for me to read.

The Fairy Tarots (Lo Scarabeo): looks like it was a quickly made up deck using random old fairy tale illustrations which have no actual connection to the cards, the courts are cute though.

jema

I have to add one deck -
Amado 777
Me thinks someone got their paws on MS paint and made not only 78 but actually 111 horribly messes.
Also, neat trick to say instructions included, then in the box refer me to a website where I can buy an overpriced PDF. Riiiight.

Bhavana

Kingdom Within

The worst deck in my collection (and I splashed out on the large accompanying book as well).
Horrible artwork, far too glossy, far too large...
BIG REGRET.

Crystal Visions

Too much pink and purple and poor sense of proportion in many of the figures. Too many butterflies...

Ludy Lescot

Too many badly drawn cards... Particularly dislike The Star (usually a favourite card) and The Devil. Too much streaky mascara...A deck which pretends to be something that it is not.

Shining Tribe Tarot

An interesting accompanying book but such awful drawings on each and every card.

ha, you are like me - really picky about the artwork! Glad I didn't bite on the Kingdom Within....it just looked a wee bit too colorful and shiny for me, in spite of all the good reviews. The Crystal Visions deck I bought at a shoppe one day when there was just nothing else to buy. Funny thing is, I already knew I didn't like it or want it - but felt compelled to buy it anyway. And even though I still don't love it, I plan on keeping it for now. Eventually I will give it to some little girl...but I don't know, there is just something about it - once you look past the too long torsos and out of proportion legs and arms - that I like. I guess it's the childlike simplicity of it, it reminds me of a time in my life when I might have liked it more.

Fairytale

Gilded Tarot
Bruegel Tarot
Magic Manga Tarot
Quantum Tarot
Renaissance Tarot by Brian Williams
Tarot of The Journey to the Orient
Tarot of The Master
Tarot of White Cats
Voyager Tarot

Damn you impulsive buying :(

Winterchild

Crystal Visions

I guess it's the childlike simplicity of it, it reminds me of a time in my life when I might have liked it more.

My 17 year old daughter chose this when I bought her first deck, it was new out, she loved it. I have one I got in a trade but havent really looked too closely.

I love your statement above.... it made me feel all melancholy for the summers on my youth.... like young pre 20's youth ;o)

Carla

Sacred Sites. I will never use it and it's just taking up storage space (as well as leaving an empty space in my wallet).