Making Tarot Bags

All Is One

Actually Stella, after your last comment I had to go look at the link. I'm reluctant to say how I feel...I hate to criticize. I hope the site isn't by someone on here because I need to say that for the prices they are charging for the one "possibles" bag they should be offering something more.

Hand stitching was stated, but ??

I looked over a few of the "gifts" they offer and I can't figure out the theme behind the site. I'm missing something. Maybe I'll go back and try to figure out where they are coming from...

As for your suggestion to start on goodwill used leather and fur...it was a great idea. I was speaking from the difficulty I've had even working with fresh fur. If I used a sewing machine, I could probably use recycled materials and it is a preferable alternative to killing more animals!!!

stella01904

All Is One said:
I was speaking from the difficulty I've had even working with fresh fur. If I used a sewing machine, I could probably use recycled materials and it is a preferable alternative to killing more animals!!!

Very good point.

I wouldn't want ANY animal killed just so people could have pretty bags.

All Is One

I work with whole deer and elk hides that I buy from a man in Canada who does all the work himself. I always try to use the bullet holes prominently in the front flap of the bag as a way to represent the fact that the soul of a living creature is still a part of the hide, and that the death of that creature was important.

The hides usually have two to four bullet holes, and on the neck and shoulders of the larger elk hides are the scars from the horns of the other elk they have fought in their lifetime.

People tend to see the bullet holes and the old scars as blemishes and discard those. I try to feature those markings to honor them. The bullet holes are representative of our own mortality.

I don't think I could kill an animal, so I'm aware of the hypocrisy in my working with these hides. I have spent a lot of time on that issue.

Sinduction

I don't see that as hypocrisy at all. I think it's good that their hides don't go to waste or are thrown away. And I love that you use what others consider unusable material. Just from reading your post I can feel the love, care, and respect you have for those animals. You're giving them a way to be remembered and loved, well after their deaths. I'd really like to see pictures of those bags. They sound fascinating.

All Is One

Thank you so much Sinduction! Just click on the website link under my posts...

All Is One

I love those pendulums, MM.

morticia monroe

All is one,

I just visited your site..Wow, those bags are just beautiful!

All Is One

Thanks so much, Morticia!