Hanson-Roberts Happy Juggler

eyeDEEclaire

I'm curious about the image in the Hanson-Roberts deck of the 2 of Pentacles. I've drawn it several times and I'm always amused at the look of sheer glee on the juggler's face. I personally don't enjoy juggling anything in life, so I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on why she is so happy.

I mean, I guess to each his own, but it seems like a stressful situation to me!

rwcarter

This deck has its own Study Group, and the thread for the 2 Pentacles can be found here.

Rodney

Fostha

eyeDEEclaire said:
I'm curious about the image in the Hanson-Roberts deck of the 2 of Pentacles. I've drawn it several times and I'm always amused at the look of sheer glee on the juggler's face. I personally don't enjoy juggling anything in life, so I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on why she is so happy.

I mean, I guess to each his own, but it seems like a stressful situation to me!
As you say it is indeed each to their own....think of a london street performer who makes a living juggling,some love it and cant imagine life any other way,some prefer to stop~sit and just admire the periphery of life.....everyones different love,thats what makes this world go round.It sure would be boring if we all lived the same way,had the same wants/needs/expectations. Some like to make sure they've always got a rainy day fund,others simply cant see the point.I personally can fully understand just why this jugglers happy;)~dont mean everyone else will though,thats the real beauty of tarot......each to their own.

eyeDEEclaire

Amanda_04 said:
:D :D :D

This is my most recent interpretation of the 2 of Pentacles, you might have seen it:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=136606

LOL!!! Great thread! You know, I have been meaning to go bra shopping....

Thanks Amanda! I was hoping you'd chime in because I've noticed in the Your Readings section that you use this deck(it's fairly new to me)!
Hell, I'd be grinning ear to ear if I had "pentacles" like THAT! :D

Fostha

eyeDEEclaire said:
Hell, I'd be grinning ear to ear if I had "pentacles" like THAT! :D
LOL :D
They aint no joke doll.....even if they are natural.....they cause havoc with your back. :laugh:

Marcia959

Just to offer an alternative to my own aching back, you know when guitar players play, they often make faces including a grin when they are concentrating on the intricate details? The 2 of pentacles juggler is concentrating so intently on the details, timing, perfection of keeping everything balanced that he may be like that guitar player with an involuntary grin of concentration. It has to do with the joy of the moment of detail.

Of course all of us girls with the happy 2 of Pents will recognize that we may have grinned about it in our youth, but try juggling those babies for 30 some years. That grin of being "in the moment" gives way to the grimace of pain. We may still smile, but the smile is the memory of being "in the moment" back then. Now, we are grinning at the memory (and I did spell that right).

CottonCandy

I've wondered about this card myself, why is the juggler so calm when there seems to be chaos/hardship in the background?

This thread & those linked within have provided some interesting & entertaining interpretations. I'm not sure if I should be posting in the study group thread instead, but this one is more recent, so I'll share here.

My thoughts on the 2 of Pentacles:
The image seems to be one of balance & inner peace.
If the juggler knows what's going on in the water, is this balance & peace from accepting that s/he can't do anything to change the situation & must wait for the 'storm' to settle?
Or is the juggler just ignoring what's going on because s/he doesn't want to deal with it?
If the juggler doesn't know what's going on, is s/he in for a nasty shock?
Or do the ships have nothing to do with the juggler at all? Maybe that's why s/he looks so peaceful, because the conflict doesn't involve him/her at all.

FallynRaiyn

thinking of the "happy juggler" and looking closer at this card it seems to me that he has his life in balance, or as much as it can be with the turbulent waters behind him. He's come to terms with the fact that life isn't always balanced and knows that contentment and going with the flow of life brings balance. If you stress about things happening that are beyond your control.....as with the stormy seas in the background.....you won't be able to focus on the things in your life that you can balance.

donnalee

Since this was my first deck way back when, it gave me the idea that the Two of Pentacles is not necessarily a card of imbalance, and that he seemed pretty capable and unconcerned and pretty much enjoying his activity, which might even involve magic since his hands hardly touch the set-up of pentacles in harness. Later reading of commentary elsewhere pointed out the stormy seas and the boat looking either in big trouble or maybe it too enjoying a good challenge, and other decks had the juggler looking much less capable to me. In using this deck I lean towards the 'capably handling life, perhaps with wishful thinking' , although he does look a little oblivious, and so whether that is a choice or an incapability can be up in the air...accidental pun there--sorry! I might incluce that right can be physical hands-on and left more of energetic projection, so maybe combining the two works best.