Tyldwick - Six of Swords

BodhiSeed

The standing globe and world map on the wall made me instantly think of my mother. At age 77, she has visited over 50 countries, often going back to visit some of them again. In fact, she's making her way from Amsterdam to Budapest now. She comes from a small Southern town in Georgia where what's considered "nice and respectable" is firmly etched in stone. Perhaps because she taught school for forty years, she believes everyone should travel outside their community - if not overseas, then at least to another part of the country. It is easy to adopt certain ideas and opinions based on personal life experiences, especially from one's place of origin. It also becomes easy to judge another person's culture (religion, dress, way of living) from one's own perspective rather than stepping into their shoes to understand the "why" behind it all. We can become narrow-minded and prejudicial without even realizing it. A viewpoint is quite simply a view from the point where we are standing. The Six of Swords suggest we move (physically or mentally) so that we can see from a new perspective, a new vantage point. We need to open our minds wider instead of trying to filter everything through the eye of a needle. It will be amazing how much the world seems to change when we do...

malpertuis.co.uk/2013

Attachments

• Map.jpg
    Map.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 680

kellyshay

I love your interpretation of the 6 of swords and I agree 100% to what you said..Sometimes when you are unfamiliar with something, you tend to oppose it, fear it, rejecting it...because it is something new..something that is out of your comfort zone..once you've experienced it, it will change your mind about it and you might come to like it!
6 of swords to me means sometimes we need to make changes or leave behind somethings that we do not want to let go of....but once done, you might see that it is for the better....

I ordered the Tyldwick Tarot a few days ago and I cant wait to get it!

BodhiSeed

Thank you Kellyshay - I'm so glad you stopped by to join in and I'm happy to hear the Tyldwick is coming your way. :D
I agree ignorance and the unfamiliar does breed fear and prejudice! Looking forward to hearing more of your thoughts on the cards.

Tyldwick

What a serene picture depicted on this card, in the midst of the grey isolation and pain of the other Swords! It does look hopeful and optimistic: like BodhiSeed, I can't help but reminisce on the joy of past journeys and the excitement of future travel. But I always look for both a lesson and warning in each card, so here's my "negative" interpretation.

http://www.worldmapsonline.com/geographica.htm

This map is the Orbis Geographica, created by Hendrik Hondius circa 1630. A traditional meaning for the Six of Swords is a "regretful" transition, a journey you'd rather not take, and the 17th century had its share of mournful naval expeditions. 1620 saw the establishment of Plymouth Colony by the Pilgrims, who encountered fierce storms during their flight from England. Large-scale movement of African slaves to the British Caribbean began in the 1640s. And the buccaneering period (c. 1650-1680) kicked off the Golden Age of Piracy in the Caribbean and eastern Pacific.

The journey of life, of course, sometimes takes us places we would prefer not to go. At least most of us can be thankful that our lives are better than the folks I listed above!