Metallic Decks

EmpyreanKnight

Newbie here! I just have a question for those who own metallic Tarot decks.

How long have you had these decks? Which ones do you use often? Do they flake easily? Do you have suggestions on how to shuffle or store them so if the flaking can't be prevented, at least they can be minimized? Do's and dont's?

And since we're on the topic, which ones do you recommend? Either for the art, the durability of the metal leaves, etc. Thanks!

The Happy Squirrel

Do you mean around the edges or on the cards themselves?

EmpyreanKnight

On the cards themselves. Like the Golden Universal Tarot, or the breathtaking Nefertari Tarot.

Yelell

I have the Golden Universal Tarot, which has gold foil accents. I've had it less than a year and I have not had any of the gold flake off. It was printed new in a way to make it look like some of the gold has worn off some of the pentacles.

The one thing I do not like about the deck is the cards are thin. Where they added the gold accents, there's a little bit of an indent on the backside. The cards have a few slight bends from use, even though I have not been rough with it.

EmpyreanKnight

I have the Golden Universal Tarot, which has gold foil accents. I've had it less than a year and I have not had any of the gold flake off. It was printed new in a way to make it look like some of the gold has worn off some of the pentacles.

The one thing I do not like about the deck is the cards are thin. Where they added the gold accents, there's a little bit of an indent on the backside. The cards have a few slight bends from use, even though I have not been rough with it.

Hey Yelell, thanks for the reply! Just have a question though.

When did you purchase your Golden Universal? Because I think Lo Scarabeo stated that the issue of the deliberate scuffing of some of the gold for some cards is limited to the first printing only, and will not be featured in succeeding printings. This makes the first printing decks collector's items!

I'd check if my cards have the deliberate wears next week though, as I'm planning to open them on Samhain. But please do keep the suggestions coming, if not for these then for other metallic decks.

Yelell

Hey Yelell, thanks for the reply! Just have a question though.

When did you purchase your Golden Universal? Because I think Lo Scarabeo stated that the issue of the deliberate scuffing of some of the gold for some cards is limited to the first printing only, and will not be featured in succeeding printings. .

I heard that too, but I bought this deck new off amazon less than a year ago and the pentacles were missing gold exactly like those 'first printings'. I didn't care and I figured Lo Scarabeo changed their minds or something :confused:

ETA: actually I remember now I bought it clearance because it was new with damage to the box. Maybe it was from older stock, who knows.

Le Fanu

Well I keep seeing photos on Instagram of a very very well used LoS Golden Universal which is really beat up and well shuffled. Everything except the gold seems to be rubbing off. The gold really is fine. It's the normal card surface that you need to worry about scuffing first.

nisaba

The gold seems to hang on nicely to my decks, too.

When I saw the thread title I was immediately thinking decks carved out of bits of dead cars, and heavy rock decks. :)

EmpyreanKnight

Well I keep seeing photos on Instagram of a very very well used LoS Golden Universal which is really beat up and well shuffled. Everything except the gold seems to be rubbing off. The gold really is fine. It's the normal card surface that you need to worry about scuffing first.

Wow, I didn't know the metal foil in these decks can be quite hardy. At least now I dont have to shuffle like a nervous cat, and worry about finding specks of metal on the spread cloth when I finish a reading.

I wonder if anybody has any experience with metallic decks that has its accents flaking off? What decks did you use, and how long before the foil began wearing off? Did it happen even if you were careful with your shuffling?

At least now I know my Golden Universal doesn't have fragile accents. Some people here may be considering purchasing more decks with metal accents, so if anybody has extensively worked with these decks, kindly tell us your experience with them specially regarding their durability, whether good or bad.

EmpyreanKnight

The gold seems to hang on nicely to my decks, too.

When I saw the thread title I was immediately thinking decks carved out of bits of dead cars, and heavy rock decks. :)

Lol I guess I should have made the thread title clearer, like "Metal Foil Decks" or "Metal Accented Decks".

But hey, won't that be cool? A specialty deck made of fine sheet metal. Just think of the craftsmanship that would go into it. It has to be meticulously created though, nobody wants a rusting or oxidized deck (tetanus shots anyone?). And the creator won't want his readers to bleed when they cut their hands while shuffling. And it has to be really fine, unless one wants a deck that is half a foot high when stacked up.

But a metal deck, wow.