Soprafino Tarot

Patrick Booker

I have ordered the Classic - very reasonable at the Book Depository. I will think about the Soprafino Meneghello for the future.

Patrick

Moonbow

I agree with those posts. If you don't intend reading every day with this deck then the Meneghello is more a collectors, but useable deck, mine is number 982 of 2000.. If you want to give it some welly then the Classical (Classic) would take more abuse. Are they both easily available?

Moonbow

Just seen your last post.

Did you order the Tarot Classic, or the Classical Tarot. They are different.

Rasa

While it's true that the Classical is a reproduction of the same deck as the Soprafino, to me there are miles of difference between them.

Meneghello's version feels like a genuine antique... from the unlaminated cardstock (much more durable than you'd think; just don't spill anything on it), the handmade box with a wax seal, the cream-coloured cardstock, and the simple pattern on the backs which seems very traditional.

The Lo Scarabeo version seems much more modern.. Standard semi-glossy stock, the backs are a monochromatic image of the star card, flipped so it's reversible. There are noticible borders on the front, with multilingual titles, including some (strange, imho) keywords for each card, running down one side.

There is a difference in price, but to me, it's well worth the money for such a treasure of a deck.

Flaxen

If you are looking at a cheaper alternative, the LS Ancient Italian is also worth a look. It doesn't have those keywords which appear on the Classical which personally I prefer.

The Meneghello one is in a league of its own though like Rasa says. :)

Moonbow

I think so too Patrick, I don't have the Classical but I do have the Tarot Classic and its a Marseilles (Schaffhouse) so not what you want.

Moonbow

Yeah, they don't make it easy for us do they? As I understand it the Classical Tarot, is the Ancient Italian Tarot, is the Soprafino.

The Tarot Classic is different and is a Marseilles pattern.