View Single Post
Citizen

Sophie-David 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMaple
The Mists of Avalon presents a different image, one who is truly caught between the worlds of the Old Ways and the Christian ways.
I'm really going to have to get around to reading The Mists of Avalon...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMaple
The eagle, for me, is not about maleness at all. Birds were often used as symbols of divinity in Britain, and the eagle simply offers a contrast to the Raven or Crows intimately connected with Morgan. This bird is the regal bird, of leadership, and it clearly holds a symbol of femaleness -- thus female leadership.
Try as I might, I still can't see the eagle as a feminine image, but it was stimulating to try! We see many bald eagles here, some resident, and many transient in fishing season. The females look very similar to the males. I think of the eagle as the king of birds; there is also Biblical imagery associated with the eagle and of course its male imagery.

I take the background of her chair as symbolic of the forces within. So for me the masculine eagle grasping the symbol of female sexuality, the feminine moons and the snakes, and the masculine featured pillars, show an Empress who through her experience of soul-to-soul love has achieved a degree of integration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyones
Guenevere holds in her right hand, a golden orb, which often signifies dominion in both the political and royal arenas. It is also said to signify perfection, fertility and the womb - which, together with the septre would show sexual union - desire personified.
Well, that was really helpful - I had thought that round red thing was a medallion on her dress! But yes that makes sense, its a golden orb, a symbol of the perfection of feminine sexuality and fertility. I would take the sceptre as a masculine symbol, and as you suggest, together the symbols are in union. A Keeper of Words notes that Arthur also has the union of symbols, page 45:

Quote:
Arthur holds the sceptre and orb, confirmations of his sovereignty. The sceptre also symbolizes his potency; the orb his fame and feminine principles.
And in Arthur's unconscious I see the unintegrated feminine dragons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyones
Entwined at the tip of the septre is a serpent - which seems to be common in tarot and always reminds me of the story of Moses and Aaron who raised a staff with a serpent on it to heal the Egyptians, so for me there is not only productiveness, but also restoration and repair affiliated with this card.
Again, I was not able to discern the details here. So not only are there snakes in Guenevere's unconscious, but in her conscious control. As you suggest Lyones, the snakes on the staff are an image of healing and restoration.

Teamwork on these cards is so helpful!
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #5