Intensive Deck Study Support Lounge - Part V

zan_chan

So yes, indeed, after much thought, meditation, and a number of very telling and moving readings, I've come to the decision that this is going to be the final week of Hermann IDS Part I. <insert shocked gasp from gallery>

Hermann and I have reached a point where the love is intense, the Spirit that connects us is honestly emotional, and our readings are effortless. But therein lays the rub. When I began this journey it was because I picked up the Haindl and said, "You know, self, there is no way you could possibly read with this thing right now." And I really couldn't imagine that I'd ever be able to read with it.

And now I can. :)

I have really taken the word "intensive" to the extreme. I have read at least one full (though honestly two or more for most) biography or history for each of the courts. I've journeyed, I've meditated, I've filled an entire three-subject spiral notebook with notes, thoughts, and recollections.

The Haindl will forever be my close friend, my personal deck, the one that I love above all others. I can honestly say that if, for whatever reason, I was in a situation where I could only have one deck, I wouldn't give it a moment's thought.

But I do say Part I for a reason:

Part of the reason why my current study needs to come to an end is because we've hit something of a knowledge ceiling. I've really been at tarot as whole for a very short time; Hermann's taught me everything I know. But I find myself asking questions like, "Why are the pips arranged in the order that they are?"

So I turn to my trusty Thoth, and the Book of Thoth for some answers, because the Haindl is, after all, Thoth-inspired. But then as I look at the Thoth, I find myself wondering, "Well, sure. But why are these pips arranged as they are? And while we're at it, why is there a Tower in my deck? What is that Tower? Why are any of those trumps there?"

I bought myself a copy of Paul Huson's "Mystical Origins of the Tarot" a while back and never really read it. Lots of dull TdM stuff. Looks like a Majors-only deck with playing cards attached. Thought my buddy emmsma was off her rocker for loving TdMs so much.

Then something funny happened. I bought the Minchiate Etruria on a whim because I thought it looked pretty. And now I'm in love with it. Then I bought the Vieville. And now I'm in love with it. Now I've gone back to Huson and can't put it down.

Before I can crash through the ceiling that me and Hermann have reached, I'm determined to answer a lot of my "Whys". And to do that I'm going to start a new IDS with the Tarot of Marseille.

I haven't actually decided yet if I'm going to just do a general "TdM" thing, or if I'm going to pick one to focus on. I have a bunch of them on the way now (thanks emmsma and wendywu!) and will decide more once they arrive. I honestly think it'll end up being both-- pick one to be my carry-everywhere-destroy-with-love deck, but not feel at all bad about using/studying other TdMs. The Flornoy Noblet is coming from a trade with The Red Queen and that, along with the Thunderbay Conver that Wendy is sending, are high on my list of possible love-decks.

I'm going to finish up this week with my Hermann. Do my last IDS-exchange. That sort of thing. It really isn't going to be easy to put him down. He's become such a huge part of me. I live and breath Haindl. I see his images in everything that I do or touch or feel. But I really do think its for the best that I expand my knowledge base (a lot!) before moving forward.

Also, I'm really excited to start bugging Nicky...I get the feeling that she and I could make a pretty dangerous pair... :laugh:

If anyone has any kind of advice to offer on any of this it would be hugely appreciated. The whole thing has been eating my brain for the last week or so.

Thanks a ton,

zan :D

(PS-- if I really go through with this, I'll probably be sitting out of the IDS exchanges for a while to get my bearings, but I will DEFINITELY still be hosting them. Love it!)

thorhammer

That's a moving (and coherent ;)) post, Zan. Thankyou so much for taking the time to share your thoughts and feelings and progress with us. Do you want me to take you off the list now? I'd rather wait till the end of the week :)

So your plans with the TdM don't run to IDSing with them? I honestly can't imagine IDSing with the TdM - while I have the utmost respect for those that do, mind - because it just seems that you're studying not so much a deck as an era/context/history/osmotic process. I have Huson's book too but haven't got into it yet - it took its place in the very long queue for reading :p but it's there. Waiting for me to get to it, in the proper season.

\m/ Kat

zan_chan

Oh no, I am definitely IDS-ing! If there's anything Hermann taught me, it's what an incredible learning tool complete obsession is. I would call this coming weekend the switch-over point from Hermann to TdM on the list. For a while, I'm going to just call it a TdM IDS, and after the ones on the way all arrive, I'll make a decision as to which to go with exactly.

I'm really excited/nervous about this next step. The Historical Forums scare me a little, but we'll see. I think they can use some lightening up anyway... :laugh:

zan_chan

You're right, as I read that again, that it is more of an era study. I want to go whole-hog academic with it. But I really do adore the exclusivity of IDS. I know myself, and having a rule that I MUST only use TdM will help A LOT. It's a lot like why I quit drinking on weekdays...:laugh:

thorhammer

zan_chan said:
Oh no, I am definitely IDS-ing! If there's anything Hermann taught me, it's what an incredible learning tool complete obsession is. I would call this coming weekend the switch-over point from Hermann to TdM on this list. For a while, I'm going to just call it a TdM IDS, and after the ones on the way all arrive, I'll make a decision as to which to go with exactly.
No worries :) I shall remain vigilant for updates :)
The Historical Forums scare me a little, but we'll see. I think they can use some lightening up anyway... :laugh:
Right. Good luck with that. })

\m/ Kat

yirabeth

So...I'm not quite getting it -- does this mean you won't be doing an IDS now? I see you CAN still host the IDS exchanges?

In all honesty I'm wondering if I'm getting a little one-dimensional myself. When I first started reading, I started with my Gilded, and I'd use a RW in study to match up what the book (J. Bunning) said to the card. Kind of compare the two, see where Ciro agreed with the RW, see where he differed and how that might fit into the "standard" meanings...Then somewhere along the way, I quit getting out the RW deck (gifted to me by the lovely Nonny Mouse!) and just used my Gilded...

Along about a few weeks ago, I realized I didn't really know how to read tarot, I just know how to read my Gilded...I had gotten another deck in the mail, was looking through it, and grabbed my Gilded to look for a card that I didn't understand right off. ( I never said no other tarot deck acquisitions in my IDS..hehe I tend to collect things I love. I collect tarot cards, and african violets -- this is a great deal cheaper than collecting dogs and cats!) And, while people talk of the deck that they think of in their mind when they think of tarot as a good thing, what if the Gilded went out of print, and I ruined my last Gilded deck? Would I really prefer to quit reading tarot, or at the least become a complete "noob" again because I never even looked at another deck? And this is a real possibility -- I riffle, because it's therapeutic to me. (haha, spelled that right the first time through...) Not conducive to card longevity.

So I'm thinking, eventually, I have to move on to another deck and IDS it for the sheer fact I need to relearn how to read! Probably a RW deck, because if I know how to read a RW, then I will never run out of cards to read, there's so many versions (including one I downloaded that I could color myself!) Probably not my original though, because it just seems so flat to me...I adore that deck, but more for the fact that Nonny Mouse sent little Nobody Me a deck!! (Back before I ever IDS'ed...actually before I had any deck hehe)

I kinda feel like you're really brave to move on, Zan. It seems a hard thing to do as I sit here and contemplate the idea. Not just for the fact of having to get to know another deck, accept its differences instead of sneer at them (I'm really not a very nice person I guess..poor cards) but to leave the IDS...I'd miss so much. The IDS has been a very large and influential part of my Tarot Beginner experience. It would feel a bit like leaving home for college I suppose! Scary and strange. (I'm not very good at scary and strange hehe)

~Yira

yirabeth

Ohh I see I spent too long angsting over the whole idea...you will be IDS'ing! That's fantastic, I learn a lot from your postings :) Enjoy reading you...

~Yira

zan_chan

Nooo, no, no-- I'm not leaving! I'm staying right here. Just with a TdM instead of my old friend Hermann :) Even the exchanges I'll probably only sit out of for a week or two. Then when you get me as a partner, you'll get the shortest, most nonsense readings you've ever seen....It's a learning exchange, right? Right? :laugh:

yirabeth

Hey, I would be honored to get you for a reading partner :) There's a subset of "This person is on my most desired readings to get" list that I have..you're on it buddy! *grin*

~Yira

zan_chan

yirabeth said:
Ohh I see I spent too long angsting over the whole idea...you will be IDS'ing! That's fantastic, I learn a lot from your postings :) Enjoy reading you...

Oh, gosh, thank you, Yira. Most of the time I can barely keep track of whether or not I'm still speaking English... 今は英語ですよね?(I'm speaking English now, right? :laugh: )