Renaissance Tarot (Jones / Lyle) - 4 of Swords

Sulis

Against a violet background we see 4 horizontal swords.
They are are arranged so that the first one pints to the left, the second to the right, the third to the left and the fourth to the right.
Each sword blade is wrapped in blue ribbon.

This is a peaceful card that to me, signifies a time of pause. It's a time to get your thoughts in order and to rest before you decide which way to go next.
This is a time to still the mind and recover after the action or upset of the three.
It's a card of rest and recuperation and sometimes meditation.

The ribbons tell me that the swords are at rest and are not being used.
Swords represent the mind but also communication so I think that this card could also show a pause in communication.

Attachments

• 4 of Swords.jpg
    4 of Swords.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 197

Enchanted

Papageno said:
one of my favorite cards but I'm going to have to be brief, in fact may have to drop out altogether for awhile. someone in our office just had a heart attack so we're running like mad hatters.......

Sorry to hear that, I hope that the person in your office is ok!

I find this card very peaceful also. I think it is because none of the swords are crossed and the ribbon is lying slack over the swords. The gap between the swords just emphasises for me the "time out" feeling. The gap sort of creates a kind of free airflow for me.

I do often take this card to mean, chill out, relax, put your feet up and as a warning that it is something that you need to do. Sometimes the restrictive element of the 4 will kick in though and it then says, enough rest, time to get moving again.

Edited to add: I was just thinking on the whole bit about the gap between the swords creating a kind of airflow and I thought of "breathing space". So whether it refers to a need to chill out in terms of your own problems or whether you just need to take a break from a job or a person. The words "breathing space" seem appropriate to me.

Sulis

I like 'breathing space' a lot.
Thanks Enchanted :)

What an awesome and vastly overlooked and under-rated deck of cards this is :)

Papageno

Enchanted said:
Sorry to hear that, I hope that the person in your office is ok!

Edited to add: I was just thinking on the whole bit about the gap between the swords creating a kind of airflow and I thought of "breathing space". So whether it refers to a need to chill out in terms of your own problems or whether you just need to take a break from a job or a person. The words "breathing space" seem appropriate to me.

he's OK I think, they implanted some stents. he's a very unhealthy person with bad habits, smokes like a chimney, obese and eats a lot of bacon cheese burgers for lunch (and he's under 30. what's wrong with this picture)

anyway......this seems very appropriate for me at the moment. chill - take a break - breathing space *whew*

as for him, I wonder if the 4/swords can apply to recuperating from illness.
this never occured to me before....... actually I think this possibility was already discussed on the other 4/swords thread but I'd love to hear what everybody here thinks about that aspect of illness and recovery.

anybody?

edited:

Sulis this thread seems to have been very prophetic, the timing.......you posted this right on the morning of. how cool is that.

Enchanted

Papageno said:
he's OK I think, they implanted some stents. he's a very unhealthy person with bad habits, smokes like a chimney, obese and eats a lot of bacon cheese burgers for lunch (and he's under 30. what's wrong with this picture)
That is quite scary, under 30, my gosh!

I do think that this card can indicate convalescence, in terms of illness, or a need for it, whether that illness be physical or mental or even an emotional upset such as the one caused by the 3 of swords. I find it to be a very healing card.

I remember it once appearing in a relationship reading where one actually did have to be hospitalised for depression. Sometimes it serves as more of a warning I suppose.

WooMonkey

I also get the peaceful, restful feeling from this card. It's surprising how the simple arrangement of the ribbons can convey this. This study group is giving me a real appreciation of simpler minors! It's a mental time out--a break from the thought parade.