Who sells Tarot Cards posters ?

vision777

I wanted to know where do they sell tarot card posters at ? if they do . I always wanted a giant poster of the four of wands in the sacred rose deck. do anybody have any ideas if so can you please help.

Wings

Thought

I'd check with whoever published or designed the deck; someone owns the copyrite

Rasa

Sacred Rose is published by US Games, and I don't think they sell posters of cards...

The artist does have an email address on her site though, so you might want to try inquiring with her directly- johanna@johannagsherman.com

Otherwise... I'm not sure if it's legal, but you could probably take the card to a copy shop, and get them to blow it up to poster-size and put it on some photo paper for you.

HonestPuck

Rasa said:
Sacred Rose is published by US Games, and I don't think they sell posters of cards...

The artist does have an email address on her site though, so you might want to try inquiring with her directly- johanna@johannagsherman.com

Otherwise... I'm not sure if it's legal, but you could probably take the card to a copy shop, and get them to blow it up to poster-size and put it on some photo paper for you.

It's legal, so long as you don't start sell it to someone else.

Some tarot publishers make larger prints of certain cards, but I don't know about that one specifically.

aja

Actually, if it's a copyrighted image, it's illegal to reproduce - intent to resell or not.

I know that in photography, the photographer..not the subject...holds the copyright to the photograph. The subject/client is given use to whatever deal is stuck...be it film (in which case they can reproduce as well) or prints (in which case the sale is for the printed material only).

If you've ever gone to any print processing places, you'll note that they will refuse to print any copyrighted material. Some years ago, Olan Mills (a popular portrait studio chain in the US) brought suit and won against several retailers (Target, etc) who were printing photos that customers had scanned in/brought in the original prints. Point being is that a large portion of their sales is also in the prints.

I know that a few years ago, I had to have prints made as part of a function's decorations and the photographers either supplied me the prints directly, or knew that I was going to reproduce them. Still, Target had me have a photographer fax a photo release before they would print it.

Nerd

Just because Target is paranoid about being sued does not mean you are actually in violation of anyone's copyright. There is the doctrine of Fair Use.

From Stanford's Fair Use and Copyright website:

"Unfortunately, the only way to get a definitive answer on whether a particular use is a fair use is to have it resolved in federal court. Judges use four factors in resolving fair use disputes, which are discussed in detail below. It's important to understand that these factors are only guidelines and the courts are free to adapt them to particular situations on a case-by-case basis. In other words, a judge has a great deal of freedom when making a fair use determination and the outcome in any given case can be hard to predict."

If you paid for an image (ie bought the deck), and you want to put the card itself up on your wall, no one can stop you. If you want to reproduce it at larger size and put it up on your own wall, it is very unlikely that a judge would rule against you. For example, if you could draw, even though to re-draw a copyrighted image and publish it would violate copyright, to re-draw it for your own wall is unlikely to get you in trouble.

Target is at risk because THEY are making money to reproduce the image. But you are just putting an image you paid for on your own wall, not making any money from it. You're unlikely to ever be sued, and even less likely to lose in court.

Therefore, if you can get a target or similar store to reproduce them, I'd say, go ahead and do it. If you happen to invite Stuart Kaplan over and he gets mad at you, all he can really do is insist that you take it down and threaten to sue you if you don't.

If, however, you are using a deck whose artist sells prints, you're at greater risk, because by doing it yourself you are encroaching on the potential market for his or her prints (ie you should have bought one...)

room

Not tarot cards but a forthcoming oracle several of us are waiting for.

This is a gorgeous poster of gorgeous photography.
http://www.cafepress.com/gravengoods.112641894

Oh, and a note about copyright: I sometimes use the photography of people for photo references when drawing or to reproduce for something I'm making. If you ask permission and explain what it's for, most people will allow you to do **one** in some way. I just did that with a photographer online whose picture of a tourist site attraction in England was one I needed to reproduce.

I use another nature photographer who allows downloads for personal things but you need to buy his work for anything else. he has appropriate forms and such to make it easy--he's an exceptional photographer and must get a lot of people wanting his photographs.

The trouble with tarot cards that are published by a large company is that they won't allow any reproduction. If you're doing one card for a poster on your wall, I doubt they would know or care, and it's for your own private use. If you do a poster and several people ask for one too, and you make them, then you're in big trouble with copyright laws.

I have asked two card artists for permission to use their work ONCE--I painted or cropped them myself for different mediums, and was given permission. I show the finished product to them so they know what I did or how I redrew it or whatever. One artist also asked me to reproduce her work in another medium. I wouldn't do a straight reproduction of a card--I would worry about that. Knowing the work that people put into their decks and the dangers of plagiarism and theft, I just couldn't bring myself to hurt anyone like that.

Here's an idea--can you in some way draw your own version of the card you like and reproduce that on a poster?

Papageno

go to my profile and click on the homepage link and go to the "Perigord Noir" section.

Johfra Bosschart created a incredible Zodiac series (in addition to other wonderful works) and these posters can be purchased from http://tinyurl.com/34jpf6

The Gemini poster features a Rider Waite Temperance and Fool

to be honest if you're going to go through the trouble you may as well order the entire series. they are not easy to deal with but they do come through.................ultimately. but it's like pulling teeth. and they are not responsive. it helps a great deal if you are fluent in French.
the posters are large good quality prints on very heavy poster stock.

minotaur

The Rider-Waite-Smith Tarot Card Copyright FAQ

http://www.sacred-texts.com/tarot/faq.htm

This has explanations of the laws concerning the RWS. His position is that US Games owns the copyrights to the backs and a few other things but not the faces.

There is a link to images from the original 1910 deck. Perhaps you could make posters from there.

Nerd

Minotaur is right. But, US Games still CLAIMS that they own the copyright on the RWS faces. So you (and Target) are in the same danger of getting sued as if you used a card you knew was protected by copyright. Less danger of losing the suit, however. Also, if you use any of the recolored RWS decks such as Universal Waite, US Games DOES own copyright on those, no question.