Firming up cards

sparkles

Hi, not sure if this is the place to ask but i notice the last few decks i've bought feel pretty flimsy. I do like the decks but i'm concerned that they won't really enjoy a long life before they start getting a bit worn looking. So, my question is this, is there any sort of treatment that you can apply to cards that will toughen them up a bit?

thanx.

blackroseivy

You could try some stiff lamination, maybe just to the backs. That might work.

sparkles

Thanks, i had though of laminating them but ive only ever seen machines that do both sides which would make them a bit too thick but if I can do just one side it might just be a good option.

canid

You can purchase lamination sheets for home use - if you cut the lamination material in half before you position everything in the protector sleeve, you can do only one side of the card. I think. I'm not sure if I'd want to experiment with it tho. I'd think it would make the cards extremely slippery. Let me know.

cardlady22

The self-stick sheets help, but you have to be careful when you position them or you'll get air bubbles.

manda78

Someone from the forum traded me a deck of self laminated cards that are really nice. I dont think that they are too thick, plus I dont really have to worry if something spills on them (not that I would chance it!), and I can carry them without worrying too much that they will get messed up. Really cool.

Grizabella

Cards are a lot more sturdy than you might think. I wouldn't laminate them just yet if I were you. :)

Marcia959

Has anyone experienced yellowing or clouding of lamination over time? I've heard of lamination-adhesive fatigue where the lamination bubbles or peels but I wondered about yellowing or clouding.

Briar Rose

There is hot and cold lamination. I think the cold is better. Is there acid free or yellowing free archive sheets? That is what I want to know, too.

tigerlily

Won't the cards bend if you laminate them on just one side?