Who would like a reprint, or a new edition, of the Rosetta?

FLizarraga

I am not a big fan of borders, but those are beautifully aged and elegantly unobtrusive. And I kinda prefer the hieroglyphics to the regular titles, I think. How big would the cards be?

Since I initiated the thread, I think it behooves me to pledge myself to (pre)order both deck and book. Especially because I would love to see that gold foil happening... :love:

“Isn’t that a delicious word—papyri? Sounds like
something eaten by little Persian boys, doesn’t it?”
— Ferdinand Lyle, Penny Dreadful

JylliM

Here I am, just begun my Year of Austerity, and you mention gold foil....

Babalon Jones

I am not a big fan of borders, but those are beautifully aged and elegantly unobtrusive. And I kinda prefer the hieroglyphics to the regular titles, I think. How big would the cards be?

Since I initiated the thread, I think it behooves me to pledge myself to (pre)order both deck and book. Especially because I would love to see that gold foil happening... :love:

“Isn’t that a delicious word—papyri? Sounds like
something eaten by little Persian boys, doesn’t it?”
— Ferdinand Lyle, Penny Dreadful

Love the quote! As to size, I'm thinking the same size as the first full size edition, which was exactly "standard tarot size" like USG RWS 70x120mm.

Here I am, just begun my Year of Austerity, and you mention gold foil....

Well I am sending you wishes for a Year of Prosperity instead! :)

If I do the gold foil, it would be very subtle, just a thin line around the image itself. You can see it as the dark walnut color of the ink here, around the art:
http://www.tabulamundi.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Rosetta-border-experiment-Sun-180x300.jpg

But I think it would be very striking. They look good without it too but it sure would add a wow factor. When I compare the Babalon edition of Tabula Mundi to the Colores Arcus, I am always surprised at how much depth that little bit of silver adds to them, so I imagine that would be the same here.

I am thinking though that in order to be able to come up with the money for printing, I may have to forgo having a box and a LWB. The LWB could be a pdf plus I hope to have the full size Book of Seshet done. As for box, in an ideal world I envision a nice hard case like Tabula Mundi's box, in a lapis blue with a gold foil emblem. But I may have to just sell them shrink wrapped. I can dream though. I do love luxurious packaging but the deck itself is more important to most people I think.

Later today I hope to have a few examples of the new borders for the minors at this link too, trying to decide on how to best represent the numbers in hieroglyphs
http://www.tabulamundi.com/rosetta-redux-the-papyrus-edition/

Attachments

• Rosetta border experiment Sun.jpg
    Rosetta border experiment Sun.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 151
  • Rosetta border experiment Moon.jpg
    Rosetta border experiment Moon.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 146
  • Rosetta border experiment Fool.jpg
    Rosetta border experiment Fool.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 135

Luna's Crone

i have it in a tin

Babalon Jones

Full size "Papyrus" edition minor examples are now up in draft form, one card of each suit. The tops will have a numeral indicator and a suit indicator made from the Egyptian glyph for the element. The bottoms will have the card title word in the cartouche, written phonetically.

http://www.tabulamundi.com/rosetta-redux-the-papyrus-edition/

I'll put some info about how I'm doing this in the creation thread, and post a couple court images once I get to do a few, so there will be examples of all the card types.

JayBee

I really had hoped to take a pass on this, and now I do not believe that's possible. I hope you have a few prosperity wishes left, Babalon. :)

Might I also plant a seed. Have you ever given any thought at all to collaborating on a project with Gabi? Seeing a deck or book (heck, even a sandwich) by my two favourite tarot creators....

Babalon Jones

I really had hoped to take a pass on this, and now I do not believe that's possible. I hope you have a few prosperity wishes left, Babalon. :)

Might I also plant a seed. Have you ever given any thought at all to collaborating on a project with Gabi? Seeing a deck or book (heck, even a sandwich) by my two favourite tarot creators....

JayBee, for you, I have the everlasting gobstopper of prosperity wishes!

As to collaborating with Gabi, I had not thought of it before but since I do love her dearly I am sure that an Aussie/Yank collaboration would be both "wicked pissa"and "fair dinkum" :laugh: If she was not on the other side of the globe we could for sure make a sandwich or three. Fried egg on the barbie :smoker:
I imagine she is still deep in the paint buckets with her Frieda decks though. But who knows, your seed has been planted. :livelong:

FLizarraga

Love the quote! As to size, I'm thinking the same size as the first full size edition, which was exactly "standard tarot size" like USG RWS 70x120mm.

Since we are at it, could you make the images a tad larger than the original?

A couple of mm can really make a difference.

Babalon Jones

Since we are at it, could you make the images a tad larger than the original?

A couple of mm can really make a difference.

I hope it isn't something you feel too strongly about, as I purposely chose the standard size 70x120mm. While I love larger cards too like the size of Tabula Mundi and the Thoth, I have to shuffle them overhand. I really liked the standard tarot size of the full size Rosetta as they were easy for me to riffle shuffle (and since these have aged looking borders I wouldn't have to worry about fraying).

Plus I got really excited about this (I love hieroglyphs, dorky I know) and last night I stayed up really late drawing and inking and scanning the hieroglyphs and making art files for the cards. I got through about 30 of them and have others in progress already, so it would mean starting over and redoing a few days work not to mention sending new quote requests out to printers. Not totally undoable but as I don't really want them too much larger anyway I'm not sure that what I would do would make much of a noticeable difference.

I suppose before I get even deeper into this, I should ask how you all feel about boxes. Debating whether to have "just the cards" shrink wrapped or with a real papyrus band (maybe, cool but not that practical for use) or have a nice hard case jewel box like Tabula Mundi's case with a foil symbol on it. If I had my way I'd do both a regular shrink wrapped version and a gold foiled version in a fancy box, but I may be dreaming here as I'm not doing a Kickstarter for this. I saw a thread recently where someone asked "box or bag" and the poll was almost uncannily equally divided of course! But I haven't seen to my knowledge "box or no box". I personally prefer a box but only if it is a nice decorative display worthy box without writing or bar codes, not commercial looking, and not a tuckbox, a sturdy box. Otherwise just a deck is fine and if I love a deck I'll get a box or bag for it.

FLizarraga

I hope it isn't something you feel too strongly about, as I purposely chose the standard size 70x120mm. While I love larger cards too like the size of Tabula Mundi and the Thoth, I have to shuffle them overhand. I really liked the standard tarot size of the full size Rosetta as they were easy for me to riffle shuffle (and since these have aged looking borders I wouldn't have to worry about fraying).

Oh, I was just talking about the images themselves, i.e. the image/border ratio, not the card size. The card size is fine by me. Larger cards would be welcome, of course, but I'm aware of the limitations of the project.

I suppose before I get even deeper into this, I should ask how you all feel about boxes.

Personally, I feel as divided as the poll itself... :D

If I had my way I'd do both a regular shrink wrapped version and a gold foiled version in a fancy box, but I may be dreaming here as I'm not doing a Kickstarter for this.

That would be wonderful, of course --if it is doable.