The Daemon Tarot

Caveman

Curious, does anyone have anymore info on "The Daemon Tarot: The Forbidden Wisdom of the Infernal Dictionary" and it's accompanying deck? (at least more than what amazon has to say)

Thanks

DeToX

I'd be interesting in hearing if anyone has seen it too. It's only just come out though. The description suggests that it is a book and tarot deck, although it could be a book containing images of a tarot. Maybe you might have more luck posting in the Tarot Decks forum as it is a tarot rather than oracle.

BodhiSeed

From the Amazon description, I'm thinking this may be a deck called "tarot" but actually an oracle, as Amazon says it is based on 69 daemons (which may indicate 69 rather than 78 cards):

This fiendishly forbidden book and divination deck draw upon Le Dictionnaire Infernal (Infernal Dictionary), a legendary tome originally published in 1818 by French occultist Jacques Auguste Simon Collin. Working from centuries of arcane magical texts, Collin described ancient daemons and organized them into hellish hierarchies. These tarot cards identify the unique strengths and specialties of 69 of those daemons and explain how to summon their energies. For even if these entities dwell in darkness, they can enlighten us with answers to our most pressing questions, from love and health to work and finances.

DeToX

You have a point there. Many publishers tend to call decks tarots when they aren't just because most people identify more with what it is.

Caveman

I found a kickstarter site where the woman putting this deck together was raising funds for the project. The site didn't provide that much more information except that she has gotten plenty of cash to finance the endevour. Anyways, it was my impression that it's not published yet, as amazon has it on pre -order for Nov of 2013. I do think this is a case of the word tarot being thrown around loosely, as this appears to be a deck of 69 cards with an accompanying book; and the card samples I've seen have no clear correlation to any aracana known in a tarot deck.

What I'm more interested in is the fact that it's being presented as a system of divination and then what's that based on? Just intutition drawn from knowing the characteristics of each daemon? are spreads presented in the book? who knows? anybody?

DeToX

These types of unique decks - the term 'divination' is also thrown around loosely ;-) I mean, technically speaking, you can divine with anything more or less.

Here's the link you are referring to?

http://thetarotroom.com/2012/04/27/cartes-infernals/

Looks pretty coo but one could argue it's mainly for use as a set of flash cards for those who prefer to view the images in card form rather than from the original book. Would be interesting to see what type of spread/divining method is proposed.

gregory

This looks like she didn't originally call it Tarot. I wonder when that came in. Her kickstarter doesn't MENTION the word. She's basically a comic book artist and this is lovely art - but...

Beewitch

Curious, does anyone have anymore info on "The Daemon Tarot: The Forbidden Wisdom of the Infernal Dictionary" and it's accompanying deck? (at least more than what amazon has to say)

Thanks

I do! I'm the creator, Ariana. But the link to this thread was forwarded to me, and I have no idea what the etiquette of this forum is. I don't want to just breeze in and give a sales pitch, you know? But I'm happy to answer whatever questions I can before the deck and book are released to the public, because I am pretty excited! This is not the first divination deck I've made, but it's the first I've published to this wide of an audience.

I'm going to rely on the folks that are familiar with this forum to let me know what's acceptable as far as answering questions without crossing that all-too-common internet line of "HEY HEY LOOK AT THIS THING I MADE SPAM SPAM SPAAAM." Hehe.

gregory

How lovely to see you ! Welcome !

OK - forum etiquette. If you are still CREATING - post all you like about your deck in tarot deck creation. But if you want to tell us about your campaign, you'd have to put that in advertising - and you have to be a subscriber to post there, so don't post a link to that anywhere else, or it WILL be pulled. !

Can you tell us - though - IS this a tarot or an oracle ? I am very unclear on that. So there is your first question - if it is a tarot this thread should be under tarot decks rather than here, in oracles. And if that is the case I will PM a mod and ask for it to be moved, unless you want to do that yourself.

Beewitch

How lovely to see you ! Welcome !

Thank you! Lovely to be here!

OK - forum etiquette. If you are still CREATING - post all you like about your deck in tarot deck creation. But if you want to tell us about your campaign, you'd have to put that in advertising - and you have to be a subscriber to post there, so don't post a link to that anywhere else, or it WILL be pulled. !

Let's see -- I'm in the last stages of the production (which is always a longer process than you'd think...!) but, more to point, I don't think there *is* any campaigning going on just yet. That's all sales and marketing (and I'm sure that, closer to publication date, I'll be involved in that), but right now I'm completely rogue. ^_~

Seriously, though -- apologies in advance for any errors I make, and please go ahead and sweep anything I post that sounds advertise-y.

Can you tell us - though - IS this a tarot or an oracle ? I am very unclear on that. So there is your first question - if it is a tarot this thread should be under tarot decks rather than here, in oracles. And if that is the case I will PM a mod and ask for it to be moved, unless you want to do that yourself.

So, speaking of sales and marketing...

Right, so. Initially I had called the deck "Cartes Infernales" -- and when the publisher approached me and wanted a name that was a little more user-friendly, my first instinct was to call it "The Daemon Divination Deck". It's NOT a tarot, traditional or otherwise. (My next project may well be a 78-card tarot, but that's the only tease I'll drop about that.) Of the two, it's definitely an oracle -- but I still lean towards the word "divination" for clarity's sake. I've worked with the deck while I was creating it, and written up the spreads that worked best for me and the cards themselves -- YMMV, but I've found the deck really works best as a guidance/warning system of focus, rather than a "hard answer" deck.

(I'll clarify any of that if it's vague or doesn't make sense. I... kinda love talking about this project, sooooo no worries about that.)