Journal Entries-For Beginners-TheMagician

LadyMedusa

I have recently aquired the Haindl deck.

I'm not working with it yet so this will be rather rough. The style of the card is collageish (is that a word?) I guess it is for this purpose. This is a card that seems to best view from bottom up.
The first thing that catches the eye is the 4 suits kind of stacked in depth not vertical or horizontal. In fact the whole card is very three dimensional. Center bottom the sword with a blue aura (? air) is driven thru the stone then crossing that image is the spear has an redish aura around it (? fire) thru a golden gobletlike cup to the left is a rather scrubby looking tree or bush, (? a reference to the earth)
Behind the point of the spear is what looks like a chunk of crystal points or is it ice crystals? I dont see anything else that might be a water reference but then I haven't had a lot of time to study it well. To the far right is The best way I can describe is what looks to be a long striped piece of fabric blowing in the wind (reminds me of a sheet on my grandmas clothesline in the summer breeze)To the center between the crystal image and the sheet are two faces one above the other. The lower an looking to the viewers left (the past?)is an older white haired man with a caucasian complexion. He has stare like he is thinking not hard maybe even reminiscing. Directly above looking to the viewers right (the future) is the face of a person of a much darker complexion. His face is only visible from the nose up very sad stare. In the upper left is a reddish sky with the sun, on the upper right stretching down in front sad eyes, is a dark night sky with a crescent moon stars and in front of sad eyes it changes to a misty night sky full of eyes (the night has eyes). I get a distinct feeling of not really sadness but meloncholy from this card. The many parings leave alot to think about. Not to mention the symbols I am not familiar with. I believe them to be quaballah, elemental, and maybe ruin? I dont have the book for this deck so I can only guess at these for now.

LadyMedusa

Kissa

LadyMedusa said:
I have recently aquired the Haindl deck.

I get a distinct feeling of not really sadness but meloncholy from this card.
/B]

the whole deck is said to be very serious, deep, melancholic and earthy. this deck has a strong personnality and because of the symbols used in the corners and its huge difference with the standard RWS, i wouldn't recommend it for beginners. that said, i have the greatest respect for haindl's work and views. maybe i'll end up buying another copy after trading my first one ;-)

Kissa

ps: maybe you have the book(s) r. pollack wrote about this deck? imho you cannot get the fullest of this deck without the adequate litterature.

LadyMedusa

Hi Kissa,
I know there is no way Im ready for this one yet. I mainly got it because I love the art. I thought it would make a good some day deck. I hope to be able to work with it eventually. I have the books ordered.

LadyMedusa

LittleWing

the magician

hello all - im a late starter on this great thread - but catching up - and really enjoying it!!!!

COSMIC TAROT DECK

FIRST IMPRESSION - neutral (pos or neg) . masculine.
i like this card. he is knowledgable, has the magical power to transform situations. he succeeds in whatever he sets his mind to. but there is more to him than meets the eye. he can be deceptive and manipulative.

IMAGERY - he has a 3rd eye, light coming from this - symbolising wisdom. he is a master of his tools - the 4 suits lay before him.

the flowers at the front - he cultivates/grow. what you give attention to expands - (flowers)

blue is a very mental clour. mental stimulas.

KEYWORDS - success, mental control, deception

MESSAGES - mind over matter. anything is possible. you can do it. things may not be as they seem. small things can expand into big.

LittleWing

INANA - you posted that the magician had an 'infinate' symbol over his head (and it is also his hat on the marseilles. do we know any more about this symbol. does it mean infinate possibilities (connected with the mind) ????

Inana

Infinite symbol

Little Wing,
Quoting from here: http://www.symbols.com/encyclopedia/25/251.html
This sign, or the Western graph for the number 8 positioned horizontally, is a sign to denote the idea of infinitely great or infinity, referring to distances or numbers. Sometimes the concept of infinity in mathematical systems is expressed by the sign. As far as time is concerned the most common similar medieval symbol is the snake biting its own tail, or the empty circle. It is as if represents a double endlessness or eternity.
Main Page of the site here, its a good one. Dictionary of symbols: http://www.symbols.com

Yes, it could mean infinite possibilities relating to the creativity of the mind. Maybe its refering to the infinity of the energy of creation.

By the way, i loved your impression on the card. Concise but hitting in the point.

LittleWing

thanks for the reply - i just wanted to clarify the symbol in my mind

Japann

The Magician

CARD NAME / DECK: Gilded Deck
FIRST IMPRESSION: Not sure about it, this doesn't seem a positive card from first impressions.
CARD IMAGERY / INSIGHTS: Using skills to make a profit. Things not as they seem. Deviousness, Not trustworthy. Belittling.
KEYWORDS:Stern, wise, rich, poweful

closerwalking

Magician, Feng Shui deck

what stands out for me right away is seeing all four suits, elements present. but not all in their typical placement in nature. This deck uses black tortoise to represent fire, green dragon to represent earth, white tiger to represent air, and red phoenix to represent water. These images, elemental symbols go along with oriental 5 element philosophy. In this image air, (white tiger) is down on the ground, close to the magician's feet, Water(red phoenix) is also on the ground, and represented also by snow covered earth. Earth, (green dragon), is raised up by the Magician's outstretched right hand, and fire, (black turtle), is highest one, on top of rocky ledge, above the Magician's head. This symbolizes light, illumination, clarity of thought, fueled with fire, passion. Air down by his feet rather confuses me, I am not sure what this represents? perhaps thought energy, promoting actions. As the Magician is in strong martial arts position, posed for action. He looks very comfortable in this scene, all 4 elements, animals, suits are fully enlivened and at their prime for action, activity. He is surrounded by all 4 of them, and seems to be combining all their different potentials, focusing them for something he sees clearly but is not yet visible. Water and earth elements are on either side of his outstretched right hand that is dominant, directing, focusing the energies. So water and earth seem to be part of final manifestation of his intention. Thought activates him, moves his feet. Fire over his head gives him clarity, is fed by his passion and focus. Water is what he is standing on, supports him. water being the feeling energy, love energy. Earth being manifestation, materiality of what he is focusing all this upon. ie, all the various bits and pieces needed for manifestation of his focus are available. So he represents to me mastery of of his thoughts, feelings, emotions, clarity of mind, free of inner conflict, trusts himself. Knows he has everything he needs to achieve his focus. Reversed, this could mean something inferior is controlling things, or attempting to control things. Ignoring the Realm of the Invisible Helpers, and attempting through pride, arrogance, or some such ego based emotion, Perhaps a self image of being leader, all powerful, etc, invincible. Out of touch with one's natural limits and need for help from Spirit. Another thing that captures my attention is that the Magician is dressed in yellow robe, with brown strap tied around his waist, the chest region has a beautiful picture of bright skies, with fluffy white cloud, representing water, all four elements represented in lovely image, large over his heart, upper chest region. representing I think, thoughts, focus that are harmonious with Life. ie his heart is in a good place. And this is why all the elements are supporting him. the overall theme of this card is to trust self, one has everything one needs to manifest anything, as long as intention is harmonious within and without. no inner conflict and in best interest of all involved.