My mom touched my cards

werewolfmoon

I have one deck that no one touches but me and another one that I use for readings for others, I also use it for psychometry - reading the energy on the cards. Ive never cleansed a deck as such.

gregory

A lot of people say you should cleanse your deck if someone touches or holds your cards (sorry for making a mistake in title, my mom actually held and shuffled my deck).
A lot of people say a lot of things.
Some people say that using the cards will bring the devil into your home. Not that I've seen.
Some say that if you don't receive your first deck as a gift, tarot will never work for you. In that case every reading I have ever done is void, as I BOUGHT my first deck my own self !

There is a whole thread here full of weird things people say.

There are many here who have the querent shuffle, and who read all day in coffee shops and so on. It simply would not be possible to cleanse a deck every time it has been touched/shuffled even if you wanted to.

If YOU feel uncomfortable with your cards - go ahead and cleanse them. It can't hurt and may make you more comfortable using them. Many here do like to do that from time to time, whatever their reasons. I have better things to do with my time than to do that whenever anyone else shuffles mine, believe me !

jolie_amethyst

A lot of people say you should cleanse your deck if someone touches or holds your cards (sorry for making a mistake in title, my mom actually held and shuffled my deck).

Practioners of certain religions and some who are merely superstitious do believe that cards should only be held by their owner, yes, and those same people believe that cards can be cleansed through a number of different methods. A search here on the forum will give you a number of different options on how to do so.

Really, it comes down to what YOU believe. If you think your cards should be cleansed, pick a ritual that you have faith in and try it. If, like most people on this thread, you don't believe in such things, then don't worry about it.

Having done some research when I was first starting out, I'd now place myself with Grizabella on this one; if my decks did indeed pick anything up from others who handled them, I have no reason to want to get rid of it. For the record, all of my decks have been handled by other people, and it hasn't changed a thing about how they perform. Only one went through a cleansing ritual, back when I thought such a thing was a necessary thing everyone does. Absolutely ZERO difference. That deck behaves exactly the same as it did before it sat in moonlight, was wafted through incense, spent a few days with a crystal on it, and whatever else I did.

Consequently, I don't bother doing it anymore. But if you feel the need, do what feels right to you.

AJ

I think it is real nice your mother let you read for her and was interested enough to touch and look at your deck, you are a very lucky person! Relax.

BodhiSeed

A lot of people say a lot of things.
Some people say that using the cards will bring the devil into your home. Not that I've seen.
Some say that if you don't receive your first deck as a gift, tarot will never work for you. In that case every reading I have ever done is void, as I BOUGHT my first deck my own self !

There is a whole thread here full of weird things people say.

There are many here who have the querent shuffle, and who read all day in coffee shops and so on. It simply would not be possible to cleanse a deck every time it has been touched/shuffled even if you wanted to.

If YOU feel uncomfortable with your cards - go ahead and cleanse them. It can't hurt and may make you more comfortable using them. Many here do like to do that from time to time, whatever their reasons. I have better things to do with my time than to do that whenever anyone else shuffles mine, believe me !

I too think this is a myth, but agree if it makes you feel better you could cleanse them: sit a quartz point on the deck, burn some sage/incense near them, etc.
Here's a thread of tarot myths:
http://tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=85841&highlight=myths

Richard

The best way to cleanse a deck from a previous reading is the Nisaba method: shuffle it.

Cancer69

Should'nt be a problem

Every time I do a reading I hand my client the deck to shuffle, then pray etc. Them shuffling allows the cards to understand their needs and wants in my practice. So it shouldn't be an issue, however after every reading I am sure to put them under a quartz crystal afterward. However if your readings seem off, you should cleanse them or find a method of reading the works best for you and your accuracy.

ravenest

My mom never touched my cards ... she just frowned at them.

If you want to cleanse your deck, sure, why not ... it wont hurt anyone.

Give your mum a cleanse too if you want, a nice hot bath, scrub her back for her - that wont hurt anyone either .

Oh, the other issues: I would say the readings and your cat can stand as they are , you shouldnt have to do them again ... you will know if the readings will come true , eventually you will know what happens in the future when it happens ... if you cant see if the readings come true because they are in the future, and you will see what happens in the future when it happens - why bother doing a reading anyway?

Unless its just for fun?

Disa

Unless your mom's got some really bad juju I don't see why you would want to cleanse them of her energy.

Do what you feel is right and makes you feel better. Nothing we say will change what feels right to you :)

Sar

I am sure the Tarot God is very unpleased with us all. :D