the urnash tarot

Faolainn Storm

I just read the extract from the book, and I've got to say I LOVE it! Particularly the description of the ten of swords (I so know that person). I really can't wait to get a copy. I am really glad that such a unique vision of tarot will be published.

Congratulations for creating a beautiful and singular deck and getting it published.

FS

Egypt Urnash

99 of Cups

Some part of me has been worrying about the sharp tone the book takes for the Swords (they're all kinda like that, moreso as you get to the higher numbers), but I guess it's working!

And thanks. I still kinda can't believe it's going to be published - of course, right now I'm just staring at what's left to do, and the deadline, and worrying that I'll go over it. (I probably won't unless the TSA confiscates my computer when I fly this coming week, or something else apocalyptic like that.)

Egypt Urnash

Progeny of (VOID)

With card text in LJ.

Also I am probably going to send everyone who has a hand-made deck a link to the current state of the book. It's not done yet, but it's covering most of the deck now. And once I get the 99S done it'll be time to start digging through all of the leftovers from making the original decks I sold and putting together the expansion packs!

Egypt Urnash

99 of Swords

And I'm done!

Again.

But not really. I still have about a half dozen cards to touch up, and some book to write, and a few other little things. But I'm done drawing new art for this deck! I can use any palette I like without feeling guilty!

edit: Those of you who have bought a handmade copy of the deck should send me some e-mail with your current mailing address, a photo of the back, and which extras you have - do you have the 99 of Pentacles, do you have more than one Fool? Once I have this info for everyone I can dig out my huge pile of leftover wrapping paper from making all these decks, and make the expansion packs.

You can also read the current draft of the book here. If you run across anything that sees particularly unenlightening, let me know and I'll try to make it more meaningful in the next draft.

kaesrel

Congratulations on finishing the cards, they look fantastic!

You've probably been asked this a thousand times, but do you have any idea roughly when the deck will come out? Need to save up! :D

Oh, and thanks for showing us the draft of the book. It's a much needed distraction from studying for finals. XD

Alta

Well done! what an amazing project.

rwcarter

Congrats on finishing the artwork! Now to the easy stuff! :laugh:

I LOVE that 99 Swords. We've all had days like that! It being a 99, there being a red balloon, and there being missiles, I was immediately reminded of the song 99 Red Balloons/99 Luftballoons by Nena. (I've been on an 80's music kick the last few months so I've heard both English and German versions of the song.) For those who aren't familiar with it, it's about how the release of 99 red balloons leads to nuclear war. So that song will definitely tie into that card for me.

I'll send off an email later today with my details.

Rodney

Egypt Urnash

Thanks, folks!

Kaesrel, right now all I know for sure is that it's in LS's 2011 catalog. I think it's looking like it'll be somewhere in the first quarter of the year but I'd have to double check.

Rodney, I got your mail. I should be getting the expansions out sometime in the coming month, though somehow I suspect they won't end up in anyone's hands until after the new year what with the seasonal glut of mail.

And yeah, Nena is pretty much the place I was going; one of the themes of the 99s is "jokey modern pop culture references". I'm tempted to just use the lyrics of the song for the entry in the book, but for the fact that licensing anything to do with music tends to be a nightmare these days! (That and the fact that it'd feel a little bit lazy.)

heron

Thank you

Egypt,
Thank you so much for letting us see the text of the book. I love your open-eyed assessment of the development of the Tarot.

Your deck is going to cause a revolution in how we look at the cards, I think.

Egypt Urnash

8½. Maya (NSFW!)

One more extra. This one just sorta... happened... while I was cleaning up the deck for printing, and is not quite considered part of the Real Deck - it's being included in the extra cards along with the Fool(-1) and some other strange things. There is text for it in LJ. I don't know if people with handmade decks will get a copy of this; it depends on if there's enough extra paper to do it along with the 'normal' extras.

Revolution? I'd be content with just going into a second printing. *grin*