"Pimp my Rider!"

AJ

can you do a before and after? Except for the red heart I can't recognize what you've done, I don't have that deck.

I tried polish on cardstock on one of my samples, it does work well, I used a super fine brush from a set Tarotlyn sent me. I use the bottle brush to move a little daub from the jar to a piece of plastic and worked from that. Eliminates the thickening effect in the original source.
I'm not using it on these cards because the process seems to have turned into an outlet for anger :) rather than an exercise in beauty but I am seeing that the cards will take a lot of pimping and still be a very workable deck, even the cards I've hacked bits out of.

here are my Saints 5's.

Attachments

• Saints 5 coins 5 swords.JPG
    Saints 5 coins 5 swords.JPG
    159.6 KB · Views: 236
  • Saints 5 cups 5 wands.JPG
    Saints 5 cups 5 wands.JPG
    143.6 KB · Views: 177

canid

AJ said:
can you do a before and after? Except for the red heart I can't recognize what you've done, I don't have that deck.

I tried polish on cardstock on one of my samples, it does work well, I used a super fine brush from a set Tarotlyn sent me. I use the bottle brush to move a little daub from the jar to a piece of plastic and worked from that. Eliminates the thickening effect in the original source.
I'm not using it on these cards because the process seems to have turned into an outlet for anger :) rather than an exercise in beauty but I am seeing that the cards will take a lot of pimping and still be a very workable deck, even the cards I've hacked bits out of.

here are my Saints 5's.

That's a great idea, personalizing them with your own thoughts, not someone else's. I love the feet on the cups! I get it....

Next card I do I'll take a before picture; I still have a few that aren't profaned yet. Yesterday, a friend of mine who wants to 'learn' tarot but hasn't taken the time (even tho I keep TELLING her she doesn't have to memorize anything, but that's a whole 'nother story), saw my Mystic Dreamer & forbade me to pollute it with glitter, even tho she's a glitter kinda gal. I can't believe I was brave enough, since I just got the deck & really like it. But it's turning out extremely well & definitely usable.

.traveller.

Canid, those are beautiful! I used sparkle modge podge on mine, but I really like the colored glitter look of the nail polish.

canid

.traveller. said:
Canid, those are beautiful! I used sparkle modge podge on mine, but I really like the colored glitter look of the nail polish.

They make sparkle Modge Podge?! I just have the plain. I used it, erm, on a deck as a top varnish that I, erm, may have printed sometime in the past. DON'T DO IT. It's too sticky, even with several applications of powder. I may spray this deck after it's done with clear spray acrylic, even tho the polish seems to be pretty durable & isn't coming off at all, & I've tested it. Spray acrylic isn't tacky.

.traveller.

canid said:
They make sparkle Modge Podge?! I just have the plain. I used it, erm, on a deck as a top varnish that I, erm, may have printed sometime in the past. DON'T DO IT. It's too sticky, even with several applications of powder. I may spray this deck after it's done with clear spray acrylic, even tho the polish seems to be pretty durable & isn't coming off at all, & I've tested it. Spray acrylic isn't tacky.

Yeah, it comes in different finishes: matte, satin, glossy, outdoor, and sparkle. I don't intend to actually use these cards when I am done; I'm just having fun. However I did put these back into the pack and they didn't stick together. I was a little afraid that they would but they were fine. I used metallic nail polish too and that does stick if you aren't careful.

AJ

canid said:
erm, on a deck as a top varnish that I, erm, may have printed sometime in the past. DON'T DO IT. .

a deck I printed had black oval borders, I used spray fixative like you'd use if you were drawing with charcoal pencils. It took five coats over the course of a day but worked beautifully.

AJ

ok, for now I think I've gotten all the 'angry woman' bits off my chest with the Saints, so yesterday I chose my Anubis Oracle, like the saints it has clearly defined figures and backgrounds. I love it! Everything I've done so far is with finely glittered nail polish.

As you others have found it is hard to photograph the effect we are getting...
these images in bright sun I hope will show my progress.

Anubis: Milky way, mask and ears, pectoral, snake, pomegranates, lotus, dove, kilt, key
Nekhbet border: roundels and red parts of the lotus
Dove: The large stars, lines from the sun, dove wings, and border as above
Nephthyes: border as above, flowing clothing, stars and moon
Khnum: Hair, antlers, part of the scarab, lotus, wrist bands, pectoral

This is too fun to be legal. I absolutely cannot get away from this room, so I'm going on-line to see if I can find some blue and green and yellow sparklie polish.

Attachments

• Anubis.JPG
    Anubis.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 243
  • Border Nekhbet.JPG
    Border Nekhbet.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 228
  • Dove.JPG
    Dove.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 209
  • Nephthys.JPG
    Nephthys.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 196
  • Khnum.JPG
    Khnum.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 397

canid

Beautiful, AJ! Doesn't it just make the images 'pop', add perspective?

Kissa

AJ said:
ok, for now I think I've gotten all the 'angry woman' bits off my chest with the Saints,

the therapeutic effect of deck pimping is largely underestimated among medical and social circles. we should start some serious research about the issue, we could apply for some kind of financial support from our governments and WHO (I personally vote for any extra buck we get to be invested into glittered nail polish bulk orders).

which brings me to the second point...

AJ said:
so yesterday I chose my Anubis Oracle, (...) Everything I've done so far is with finely glittered nail polish.

And you did that veeeery well, my dear. It is just jaw-dropping and I KNOW that pictures never do justice to glitter and sparkle effect. This is really a work of love, detailed, precise, time-consuming and the choice of colors is perfect. I am speechless. No wait, words start coming again: "me... need... glitter... tiny brush... need... need... when do the craft shop opens tomorrow????"

AJ said:
This is too fun to be legal.
:-D :-D :-D

jcwirish

I love all this pimping going on! The Johnny Dee is so much more exciting now. Great ideas everyone. This is a great thread. :)