Coffin card in relationships

Kurenai

I had a question about the coffin card (deep sound of organ music cue here).

When a coffin card comes up in readings regarding relationships, one naturally concludes that the relationship is to "end." However, while reading through many examples of other people's Lenormand spreads on relationships, coffin rarely comes up.

However, it depends on the surrounding cards too -- which makes me a bit confused.

So here are some examples I had... It is two reading I've done on two different occasions for the same relationship... As in, "what can one expect from this relationship?"

1) clover - house - fish - sun - lady - man - cross - coffin - rider
--> For this I did not use the focus card and it was striking that the lady and man showed up. I read this as that while the relationship brought joy and distraction (clover) to both parties and gave lots of memories (fish), it was fated to be over (cross and coffin), but the woman will soon find another man (rider)

2) book - ring - scythe - anchor - coffin
--> For this, I read this as that this relationship was under almost a contract-like state (book and ring). However, the conditions and terms of this contract will be swiftly chucked out the window (scythe) and what seemed like a stable relationship will come to a close (anchor and coffin).

Am I taking the coffin card to literally and seriously? Could it be that it can denote "rebirth" and "change" and I am completely missing the point?

MandMaud

1) clover - house - fish - sun - lady - man - cross - coffin - rider

Here, could it be that cross + coffin means an end to the "burdens" of the relationship, ie any troubles the pair have been having?

Did you use house? (Memories is a new meaning for fish, for me. :))

In your other reading, I can only see the same interpretation as you did.

Needs someone more experienced than I am!

Kurenai

Here, could it be that cross + coffin means an end to the "burdens" of the relationship, ie any troubles the pair have been having?

Did you use house? (Memories is a new meaning for fish, for me. :))

In your other reading, I can only see the same interpretation as you did.

Needs someone more experienced than I am!

Hey Maud,
I didn't use the house card since I had no idea how to interpret it in the context of the entire reading. The 9 card spread is awfully hard!

I interpreted "fish" as memories because it seemed to fit into the general message of the reading -- I know, I should be doing it the other way around, but the entire thing left me feeling stumped. :)

But I am glad you saw the same interpretation as I did for the second reading!

Kurenai

Hey Maud,
I didn't use the house card since I had no idea how to interpret it in the context of the entire reading. The 9 card spread is awfully hard!

I interpreted "fish" as memories because it seemed to fit into the general message of the reading -- I know, I should be doing it the other way around, but the entire thing left me feeling stumped. :)

But I am glad you saw the same interpretation as I did for the second reading!

Actually, I just found out that the "anchor + coffin" can also mean things are going to change or instability. Although I am not sure if the change will be a good one!

tarotlova

Cross & Coffin I read as someone who is deeply religious/spiritual :) Also as a deceased person who may be watching over the client.

Kurenai

Cross & Coffin I read as someone who is deeply religious/spiritual :) Also as a deceased person who may be watching over the client.

That's a new way of interpreting the combination! I took it to mean depression and grief...

My question is, if the cross + coffin means religious/spiritual, how would that fit into the context of the reading and the question?

tarotlova

That's a new way of interpreting the combination! I took it to mean depression and grief...

My question is, if the cross + coffin means religious/spiritual, how would that fit into the context of the reading and the question?

clover - house - fish - sun - lady - man - cross - coffin - rider

I never ask questions with the Lenormand, I have tried and it just doesn't work with me! So I use the Tarot for that, I find that the Lenormand brings things up that you need to know even though you might want to know a completely different thing. I would read the first three as a work opportunity close to home or working from home, as this is a relationship reading it could mean that this lady will meet a man in a hot climate sun, the man and cross it is fated or a destined relationship that has been longed for quiet a while but delayed coffin, but the rider will move things along quickly, swept of her feet type of thing after this delay. It could mean she will meet this man out while she/he is riding a horse/motorbike,push bike,car in a field of sunflowers. Could even be out while fishing! The Cross to me is always a card of destiny fate, I never read it as a doom and gloom card as I believe and I am a Pagan, that the Cross has been a symbol of hope for thousands of years to people, so why it has been given this meaning is beyond me.

Kurenai

clover - house - fish - sun - lady - man - cross - coffin - rider

I never ask questions with the Lenormand, I have tried and it just doesn't work with me! So I use the Tarot for that, I find that the Lenormand brings things up that you need to know even though you might want to know a completely different thing. I would read the first three as a work opportunity close to home or working from home, as this is a relationship reading it could mean that this lady will meet a man in a hot climate sun, the man and cross it is fated or a destined relationship that has been longed for quiet a while but delayed coffin, but the rider will move things along quickly, swept of her feet type of thing after this delay. It could mean she will meet this man out while she/he is riding a horse/motorbike,push bike,car in a field of sunflowers. Could even be out while fishing! The Cross to me is always a card of destiny fate, I never read it as a doom and gloom card as I believe and I am a Pagan, that the Cross has been a symbol of hope for thousands of years to people, so why it has been given this meaning is beyond me.

I thought asking the right questions were very important with the Lenormand -- hence, the Lenormand should be asked questions.

Actually, this was a reading I did for myself -- I am in a long-distance relationship with a certain man, but due to our respective circumstances and the distance between us, I wanted to see what I could expect from this relationship.

The cross card being "fated" does make sense, and I am probably not the first person to say this, but our relationship does seem "fated" to happen. I am not harboring any dreams of being his wife or anything though.

As for the cross card, I think it denotes burden and depression because of the "cross we have to bear" kind of thing. But I can understand why it should denote hope and healing too -- after all, the cross is believed to dispel evil and demons.

The coffin card does makes me wonder if it will all come to an end. I am still confused.

tarotlova

I thought asking the right questions were very important with the Lenormand -- hence, the Lenormand should be asked questions.

Pftt I know! I have Rana Georges book and she asks questions all the time with it! But the way I was introduced to these cards was by Titanias Fortune Cards around 15/20 years ago? And I learnt it her way with meanings layout etc. years later I found out about the Grand Tableu and have only just started to try it out that way. Buy the way it was Titania who said its best not to ask questions with this deck and I never thought anything of it until Ranas book! I have always read this way even in public and damm if it doesn't pickup what they need to know every time it astounded me. Try it that way and see if works for you. This is how I lay out the cards http://www.tarotforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=78773

Kurenai

Pftt I know! I have Rana Georges book and she asks questions all the time with it! But the way I was introduced to these cards was by Titanias Fortune Cards around 15/20 years ago? And I learnt it her way with meanings layout etc. years later I found out about the Grand Tableu and have only just started to try it out that way. Buy the way it was Titania who said its best not to ask questions with this deck and I never thought anything of it until Ranas book! I have always read this way even in public and damm if it doesn't pickup what they need to know every time it astounded me. Try it that way and see if works for you. This is how I lay out the cards http://www.tarotforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=78773

Wow, the layout looks complicated! But I should take some time to read it over again!

Funny thing about the coffin card -- today I did my daily 3-card reading in the morning (it's 8:10 am here in Toronto) and for fun I picked one more card as an additional information. I got the coffin card again!

But I know that the coffin card could mean headaches, and you know what? I had one brewing since very early this morning!