Choosing a Crystal

Cinderl

What are other ways to know that a crystal is choosing you? One of the ways I've done it for a while was that I held it in my hand and if it was warm, it was the crystal for me. If it was cold, no. So, what are other ways?

Padma

What are other ways to know that a crystal is choosing you? One of the ways I've done it for a while was that I held it in my hand and if it was warm, it was the crystal for me. If it was cold, no. So, what are other ways?

Normally, my heart beats faster when I am holding the right one, and I kind of can't see anything else in the shop - it is as though the only thing there is that crystal. Kind of like falling in love :) no one else in that crowded room, except the one you love! ;)

ETA you can always let your third eye choose, as well. Just close your eyes, hold that crystal, open the third eye or however it means to you, and see what images float into your mind...for me, the right stones open portals, show stars, that kind of thing.

GotH

Ahhh, Padma explained this SO well. :) I left a shop that sold opals crying once because I fell in love but couldn't take it home.

Padma

Ahhh, Padma explained this SO well. :) I left a shop that sold opals crying once because I fell in love but couldn't take it home.

I know this feeling...then I tell the crystal to wait for me :) in every case, it has! :love:

ETA I meant when I go back to get it, it is there still waiting!

jolie_amethyst

Often, I find I pick it up and can't put it back down. In one case, I carried a piece of amazonite around the store for a good half hour--it wasn't what I thought I was looking for, and I didn't like the price on it, but it never left my hand for more than 20 seconds before I'd pick it up again. In the end, of course, it came home with me. :joke:

Same place was where I discovered a connection with naturally irradiated smoky quartz. In that case, this was a kind of crystal I'd never found attractive previously, but they had a MASSIVE piece (as in $9K worth) that I again could not stop going back to pet. Obviously that's not in my budget, but I couldn't get the silly thing out of my head, to the point where I kept feeling compelled to go back to the store and say Hi to it--and that store isn't nearby or convenient! Finally, I began buying much smaller pieces, but mostly they didn't have that same feel somehow, nor was the compulsion there...until I did some research and found out that almost all that I'd acquired was the artifically irradiated stuff. Once I started hunting down & bringing home the natural ones, the compulsion to visit their larger sibling faded down to a dull ache, rather than a driving need. (I'd still love to have that big one though! LOL)

Mostly, I don't really sense anything different in particular from crystals--no heat, cold, tingling, unusual sounds or vibrations. I either get the compulsion to carry it around, or I simply know it's the right piece...much the same way that I know what my name is. It's just a truth on a very basic level, nothing earth shattering.

Apollonia

I use a pendulum. Quick and easy.

avalonian

Someone once taught me a technique where you just hold it and ask if it is the right one for you , if you feel like you are leaning back (or shrinking) then the answer is no, and if you feel like you are leaning forward (or expanding) it is a yes.

Works for other things as well and is really useful for those times when you need to ask the question but you're in the middle of the supermarket or something.

:) :) :)

elle_muse

Finally, I began buying much smaller pieces, but mostly they didn't have that same feel somehow, nor was the compulsion there...until I did some research and found out that almost all that I'd acquired was the artifically irradiated stuff. Once I started hunting down & bringing home the natural ones, the compulsion to visit their larger sibling faded down to a dull ache, rather than a driving need. (I'd still love to have that big one though! LOL)

Ugh, how annoying and a waste of money. Did you get these smaller stones at the same place as the big piece?

jolie_amethyst

Ugh, how annoying and a waste of money. Did you get these smaller stones at the same place as the big piece?

No, bought them online (both the "overcooked" ones and the naturally produced). The treated ones are all 2-3" wands, and I ended up standing them up in a bowl full of amethyst chips, buried about halfway. I don't try to use them for anything, but they look pretty enough. And maybe the amethyst will help them somehow.

I'm still craving a good BIG piece of smoky, but I haven't found the right one yet--the artificially irradiated stuff is more popular due to its color, so the type I prefer is harder to find. We have a smallish rock and gem show in town next weekend, and a much bigger one in 3 weeks. I'm *hoping* I find something at one of those. But right now, most of my recent purchases end up being from online vendors. The local stores are all a pretty fair distance away.

elle_muse

No, bought them online (both the "overcooked" ones and the naturally produced). The treated ones are all 2-3" wands, and I ended up standing them up in a bowl full of amethyst chips, buried about halfway. I don't try to use them for anything, but they look pretty enough. And maybe the amethyst will help them somehow.

I'm still craving a good BIG piece of smoky, but I haven't found the right one yet--the artificially irradiated stuff is more popular due to its color, so the type I prefer is harder to find. We have a smallish rock and gem show in town next weekend, and a much bigger one in 3 weeks. I'm *hoping* I find something at one of those. But right now, most of my recent purchases end up being from online vendors. The local stores are all a pretty fair distance away.

I hope you find it in one of those shows, and it isn't too expensive. We have one coming up in a few weeks too, and I'm looking forward to getting some big pieces.