Froud's Faeries Oracle - What is it about this oracle?

missy

I have a question. What is it that makes this oracle so important? Why has it struck such a chord with people?

Would you consider it the essential faeries oracle and if so, why?

Does one need to own this one in order to fully experience faeries?

HearthCricket

For me I would have to say it is because this is not your traditional faery, seen through the eyes of Victorians, for example. Not that that is bad, but to me this is far more nature based, more realistic and more universal. Do you believe in faeries? Good, bad, the ones that live in your house, the ones that live in the woods? If you are a true believer, then you know faeries come in all sizes and shapes, have a multitude of personalities and gifts, including some very nasty ones. Froud connects to the faeries on a level that is from a true believer. Not just ethereal beings with pretty wings and lovely gowns. But ones that actually wear very little or might be draped by a cloth spun from a spider's web. The kind of fae you will find in the brambles, behind an acorn, or as an acorn, for that matter. Look at the ones that are just a bright light...no form, really. The faeries that you see flash in front of you, or in the corner of your eye. He covers the whole realm. The book is awesome. The card quality is awesome. There is no other like it! I love all the faery decks, and appreciate the vision so many have. But to me, these are the real fae.

DragonFae

I would say...YES...but then I'm a Froud's Faery kind of gal...I do own some other faery decks...because I love Faeries but I feel a special connection to this deck...why?

It was my first oracle deck....and I made an immediate connection with it. First of all it arrived in TWO days from amazon even though I used the Super Savers option with the longer shipping time....the other item in that shipment didn't arrive for ten days...odd I thought at the time...but I since think the faeries were just anxious to get to my house!!

There are several stories I could tell as can others about how the impish little critters turn my world upside down every now and then...These faeries have "personalities" and they are like little friends...which makes it easy to remember the cards and their meanings...although there is plenty of room for interpretation.

I just started using the deck again this week after a few weeks away from them and its just like coming home.

AJ

this is the only fairy deck I own and probably ever will own. These fairies kick ass. Sticky sweet lavender ones need not apply.

The books that go with are wonderful also.

Manda

Yes, I absolutely consider it to be an essential faery oracle, but your experience may be different. HearthCricket summed up some of the reasons very well, but my own are simply that it speaks to me. Whether that means I can relate to the artwork or that there are actual fae nearby and connected to the deck, I don't know. The messages I get are not always gentle, but they are always honest, and caring.

I am, in my heart, a tarot girl, and I do not get on with oracles as well, but I consider this one an essential part of my collection.

missy

HearthCricket said:
For me I would have to say it is because this is not your traditional faery, seen through the eyes of Victorians, for example. Not that that is bad, but to me this is far more nature based, more realistic and more universal.

(These questions are for anyone; it just happens I responded to HearthCricket's post, but feel free to chime in, anyone!)

Just curious. As I am a background of Scottish/Irish, and have just discovered the Fairy Ring Oracle, which delves more into traditional lore surrounding the faeries from the region where my ancestors lived.

Do you find those types of faeries, the traditional ones from decks like the Fairy Ring Oracle, can peacefully co-exist with Froud's Faeries?

HearthCricket said:
Do you believe in faeries? Good, bad, the ones that live in your house, the ones that live in the woods? If you are a true believer, then you know faeries come in all sizes and shapes, have a multitude of personalities and gifts, including some very nasty ones. Froud connects to the faeries on a level that is from a true believer.

I admit that I do not yet entirely know if I believe in faeries. But, I have a vivid imagination, and I can see how I could easily begin to believe in them if I were to get some cards in-hand, whether they be Froud's Faeries, the Fairy Ring Oracle, or Wild Wisdom of the Faery Oracle.

The trouble I have, or questions I have, with how to proceed with faeries is two-fold.

1. If one believes in faeries, that means one believes in both the good and bad faeries. I have never believed my tarot cards could hurt me. I have never been afraid of my tarot cards. I see myself as someone extremely psychically (not sure this is the exact term I would use) susceptible, extremely susceptible, to ... bad faeries, if they were to somehow be "invited" into my home because I brought faery cards into my life. So even if I don't officially invite them, I am asking you guys, if I have faery cards in my life, how do I keep the bad faeries away? I live alone, and I would feel vulnerable unless I knew what to do.

2. With regard to the good faeries, the little I have read is that, when I "take" from them, as in, if I use the faery cards for a reading, but I do not give back to them, they may get angry with me. Or if I ignore them, by putting them in a drawer (as I am wont to do with many of my decks!) for months at a time, they may get angry. It seems they expect me to "give" back to them. I am not much good at "giving" and don't really have much to give. I spend a lot of time alone. I don't have food or drink to offer to the faeries or to put on my doorstep for them. So what is an acceptable offering for a faery if one needs to "give" to a faery? Can I light a candle? Is that enough of an offering?

HearthCricket said:
Not just ethereal beings with pretty wings and lovely gowns. But ones that actually wear very little or might be draped by a cloth spun from a spider's web. The kind of fae you will find in the brambles, behind an acorn, or as an acorn, for that matter. Look at the ones that are just a bright light...no form, really. The faeries that you see flash in front of you, or in the corner of your eye.

I love the way you describe these faeries. I can see one draped by cloth spun from a spider's web. This makes sense to me! Or rather, I can imagine them this way.

HearthCricket said:
He covers the whole realm. The book is awesome. The card quality is awesome. There is no other like it! I love all the faery decks, and appreciate the vision so many have. But to me, these are the real fae.

I love the artwork on the cards, even though it is about the opposite from The Fairy Circle Oracle, which uses photorealism (not my favorite technique, but I do see a "why" as to why they did use photorealism; because my ancestors, the Irish and Scottish, saw faeries as *real*, as part of their everyday world, so I can see why they were depicted in this way).

As to the "real" fae, I have questions regarding if there has to be one definitive deck that encompasses the "real" fae.

Can one believe in the faeries Froud has painted, but also believe in the traditional faeries of my ancestors, the Scottish and Irish, as well as the many traditional faeries from across the world?

Here is an example:

http://faerywisdom.com/laume.html

This is Froud's interpretation of the Laume. Yet when I read up on the Laume (check wikipedia) you can see his interpretation of the Laume is nothing at all like the traditional folk fairy tales from Latvian and Lithuanian mythology:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lauma

So I am confused. I do want to get to know the faeries. I want to stay safe while doing so :p and also I don't want to get too confused if I learn the traditional, historic faeries and then Froud presents me with a whole new set of faeries in which he may have renamed them or recast their roles (such as the Laume).

Can one work with faery decks which on the surface appear to be conflicting?

I think of this similar to RWS-based tarot versus Thoth tarot; one system versus another; but I don't see those systems as clashing, whereas here, with faeries, it seems somehow I feel the desire to "get it right." I don't want to be misled.

*sigh* I hope I am not taking this too seriously, or asking too many questions, but these are the questions I have before proceeding further.

Any advice, from anyone who loves faeries! and is familiar with them, would be appreciated.

Aerin

I think that many oracle decks are quite sugary and one or two-dimensional.

This one, regardless of the fairies yet because of the artist's vision, is balanced. It has light and shade, loudness and softness, kindness and sharpness and everything in between. (Insert other dimensions here.)

It is also very life affirming somehow whatever brand of fairy is depicted.

HearthCricket

Good Heavens! Let me see what I can answer! lol

Just curious. As I am a background of Scottish/Irish, and have just discovered the Fairy Ring Oracle, which delves more into traditional lore surrounding the faeries from the region where my ancestors lived.

Do you find those types of faeries, the traditional ones from decks like the Fairy Ring Oracle, can peacefully co-exist with Froud's Faeries?

Yes, no reason why not! All my faeries co-exist very well. In fact, the Fairy Ring Oracle is a perfect introduction to the fact that there are both good and bad faeries! And it is part of your heritage, so there you go!

The trouble I have, or questions I have, with how to proceed with faeries is two-fold.

1. If one believes in faeries, that means one believes in both the good and bad faeries. I have never believed my tarot cards could hurt me. I have never been afraid of my tarot cards. I see myself as someone extremely psychically (not sure this is the exact term I would use) susceptible, extremely susceptible, to ... bad faeries, if they were to somehow be "invited" into my home because I brought faery cards into my life. So even if I don't officially invite them, I am asking you guys, if I have faery cards in my life, how do I keep the bad faeries away? I live alone, and I would feel vulnerable unless I knew what to do.

2. With regard to the good faeries, the little I have read is that, when I "take" from them, as in, if I use the faery cards for a reading, but I do not give back to them, they may get angry with me. Or if I ignore them, by putting them in a drawer (as I am wont to do with many of my decks!) for months at a time, they may get angry. It seems they expect me to "give" back to them. I am not much good at "giving" and don't really have much to give. I spend a lot of time alone. I don't have food or drink to offer to the faeries or to put on my doorstep for them. So what is an acceptable offering for a faery if one needs to "give" to a faery? Can I light a candle? Is that enough of an offering?

Reading up on Fairy lore (there are tons of books out there) will teach you how to keep bad faeries away and attract the good. Certain faeries do not want gifts. Never offer money, keep iron away from them. A thimble of milk, honey or wine and a piece of cake is enough for them. They are not greedy. Offering them a houseplant, an herb, some flowers, colourful ribbon, a button or glittery stone is a very thoughtful gesture. The cards are not going to invite bad faeries in. When you pull the Devil card in the tarot do you feel the Devil is in your house, suddenly? Nah. They are warnings that bad faeries may already be working on you or attempting to bad things and are teaching you to be more aware of your surroundings. I find this in any fairy deck. Life is a balance between light and dark, good and bad. It is only normal to have to work with both sides.

I love the artwork on the cards, even though it is about the opposite from The Fairy Circle Oracle, which uses photorealism (not my favorite technique, but I do see a "why" as to why they did use photorealism; because my ancestors, the Irish and Scottish, saw faeries as *real*, as part of their everyday world, so I can see why they were depicted in this way).

As to the "real" fae, I have questions regarding if there has to be one definitive deck that encompasses the "real" fae.

Can one believe in the faeries Froud has painted, but also believe in the traditional faeries of my ancestors, the Scottish and Irish, as well as the many traditional faeries from across the world?

Of course! I personally believe that if you work with the fae you need to be open. There is no reason why you can't connect mostly to the fae of your area or heritage. I am the same. I live in New England, but I am English, Scottish and Welsh. Even so, faeries are universal. It would be a pity to not honour that. The same goes for working with the Goddess. We all have a version or versions we feel most connected to, but to see her in her many aspects from around the world, by many religions, is to see her fully.

Like in anything you do, you find a starting point and then you branch out from there. Sometimes overthinking a situation leaves you stagnant and in fear. Take the leap, like The Fool. Just jump in a wade a bit. See the world of fae through many people's eyes and what magick it will create in your life!

thorhammer

Why is the Froud's Faeries Oracle so important?

They're real.

\m/ Kat

missy

HearthCricket said:
Good Heavens! Let me see what I can answer! lol

Sorry; I know I have a lot of questions. :p

HearthCricket said:
Yes, no reason why not! All my faeries co-exist very well. In fact, the Fairy Ring Oracle is a perfect introduction to the fact that there are both good and bad faeries! And it is part of your heritage, so there you go!

Last night, I impulsively placed an order for Froud's Faeries, which was out of stock. This morning, I canceled the order, after getting confused about maybe I want to start with some more traditional faeries such as the Fairy Ring Oracle, as I admit I am *fascinated* with my Scottish/Irish heritage.

Plus, I have many questions about good faeries, bad faeries, and I don't want to anger any of the faeries! Or upset them by not showing them enough attention.

I don't want to start with three decks, even though I am attracted to all three:

Froud's Faeries
Fairy Ring Oracle
Wild Wisdom of the Faery Oracle

But really, since I have no introduction to faeries, it seems that to start with three would be overwhelming. :bugeyed:

Maybe starting with the Fairy Ring Oracle makes sense, since it is the faeries of my ancestors.

Yet Froud's Faeries seem to strike a chord within me.

HearthCricket said:
Reading up on Fairy lore (there are tons of books out there) will teach you how to keep bad faeries away and attract the good. Certain faeries do not want gifts. Never offer money, keep iron away from them. A thimble of milk, honey or wine and a piece of cake is enough for them. They are not greedy. Offering them a houseplant, an herb, some flowers, colourful ribbon, a button or glittery stone is a very thoughtful gesture.

Thank you for the ideas. The book I ran across last night, I don't know if I can even get this book. It may not tell me how to keep bad faeries away.

I am referring to Katharine Briggs http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katharine_Mary_Briggs and her book, The Anatomy of Puck, "the definitive 4-volume Dictionary of British Folk-Tales." It may no longer be in print.

HearthCricket said:
The cards are not going to invite bad faeries in. When you pull the Devil card in the tarot do you feel the Devil is in your house, suddenly? Nah.

No, but I don't believe the Devil is "real." Whereas faeries, if they are as people say, they *are* real. So ... I read somewhere, perhaps a note on Froud's Faeries, that there are certain faeries that they warn you not to try to contact! I can see me, as trying *not* to think of a particular bad faery, but if someone tells me not to think of something, of course I am going to think of it! :bugeyed:

So I do see it as different. The Devil to me in tarot cards is an archetype. But I would see the actual beings in any faery cards as real, I think. (Already I am beginning to see them as real and I have not even gotten my first deck.)

HearthCricket said:
They are warnings that bad faeries may already be working on you or attempting to bad things and are teaching you to be more aware of your surroundings. I find this in any fairy deck. Life is a balance between light and dark, good and bad. It is only normal to have to work with both sides.

I see the point about seeing them as warnings, but can't shake the idea that they are real.

I did read a lot of Grimm's Fairy tales as a child ...

HearthCricket said:
Of course! I personally believe that if you work with the fae you need to be open. There is no reason why you can't connect mostly to the fae of your area or heritage. I am the same. I live in New England, but I am English, Scottish and Welsh. Even so, faeries are universal. It would be a pity to not honour that. The same goes for working with the Goddess. We all have a version or versions we feel most connected to, but to see her in her many aspects from around the world, by many religions, is to see her fully.

Like in anything you do, you find a starting point and then you branch out from there. Sometimes overthinking a situation leaves you stagnant and in fear. Take the leap, like The Fool. Just jump in a wade a bit. See the world of fae through many people's eyes and what magick it will create in your life!

Faeries are universal ... this I understand. But what of the example of Froud taking a faery like Laume and reinterpreting her? I can see creating a new or different faery, or taking a legendary faery and leaving her meaning the same. But to redefine, for example, The Devil in tarot cards as a completely different thing altogether, that I find a little jarring.

Somehow, that Froud took a traditional faery, and gave her an entirely new personality, it takes some of my ability to "believe" in faeries and has me questioning, because now I have two clashing versions of Laume. How do I reconcile the two?

As to my starting point, I guess I need to pick one. What seems to come to me logically is to start with the Fairy Ring Oracle. No, it isn't the prettiest set of faeries I have ever seen. But it deals with real faery folklore, and the traditions of my ancestors.

But Froud's Faeries attracts me most, with the artwork, from what I could see faeries looking like in my mind's eye. Yet I could equally see faeries in my mind's eye looking like those in the Fairy Ring Oracle! Take the movie trilogy Lord of the Rings. Everyone remembers how they portrayed the Elves and the Dwarves. They looked sort of human, yet clearly they were not. But they weren't tiny, tiny. They were man-sized; they were "real." But I could also see Froud's Faeries, as HearthCricket said, clothed with garb spun out of a spider's web, as being real.

Although Froud's reinterpretation of classic faeries, unless I have misunderstood, has me confused. :confused: