Questions for making my own deck

LadySerpentine

A few days ago I began crafting my own deck. The problem is that I really didn't know where yo start. I have the backs of the cards done and one and a half of the face cards, but ran out of paint. So until I get more, I'm gonna try to see if anyone here can help me. I hope this was okay to do, but I took some of my old Naruto cards and spraypainted their backs gold and the front of the cards a plain white. I am now hand painting each card (to the best of my ability) with acrylic paint. I wanted to keep the theme something close to me but also had trouble choosing one topic to go with. I finally settled on just a 'Fandom' deck ( I'm a bit of a geek). With each card I choose 2 symbolistic things from one of my fandoms that match the meaning of the card. I just wanted to know if that's okay. That is, the way I'm going about it.

HudsonGray

Any way you try it is OK, really. I've heard of people taping over standard playing cards, and doing their deck on scratch paper, so anything goes.

Have fun with making it, post a few pictures if you can.

Alta

No reason that you couldn't! Was there a reason that you made The Sun card VIII? Just curious.

LadySerpentine

Firstly, to Girl Archer, the gray is actually silver to counter-act the gold on the top, and I really felt that doing a double top/bottom for the cards would fit the personality of the deck better. Secondly, thanks! I'm glad that i'm not alone in my sentiment. That's actually what brings me to to answering the you, Alta. I was originally going to make this Strength, and went ahead and painted the number on incase I had to stop early. However, by the time I got the crest of courage (Digimon reference) painted on it just felt like it would be happier as the sun. I decided to leave the number VIII as a bit of memory for that moment. ^-^

Alta

However, by the time I got the crest of courage (Digimon reference) painted on it just felt like it would be happier as the sun. I decided to leave the number VIII as a bit of memory for that moment. ^-^
:D You'll look at that number and smile when you use it.

Girl Archer

Firstly, to Girl Archer, the gray is actually silver to counter-act the gold on the top, and I really felt that doing a double top/bottom for the cards would fit the personality of the deck better. Secondly, thanks! I'm glad that i'm not alone in my sentiment. That's actually what brings me to to answering the you, Alta. I was originally going to make this Strength, and went ahead and painted the number on incase I had to stop early. However, by the time I got the crest of courage (Digimon reference) painted on it just felt like it would be happier as the sun. I decided to leave the number VIII as a bit of memory for that moment. ^-^

Sounds cool! All the best with your deck :thumbsup:

shadowdancer

Absolutely all the best. I know what you are going through - you will have a rollercoaster ride for sure, but the end result will be deeply satisfying.

My advice?
Set yourself a target deadline. Having done a couple of cards or so, you will be able to figure out how much time each week you need to dedicate to the art.
If it is too much, just extend the deadline accordingly.

THEN STICK TO IT! :) :)

That way, you know you will finish it. If I hadn't done that, and just wombled along as and when I felt the urge I would still be working on the deck in 12 months time. Trust me, the task of painting 80 pictures is huge. I felt like I hit the wall the marathon runners hit at around the 30 card mark.

Be prepared to revisit early cards. I found once I had passed the 2/3 mark, I was not happy with early attempts. I grew into the deck if that makes sense. With that, I knew what I wanted to do to the early cards to improve them and make them more in line with the bulk of the deck.

Be careful of over tweaking once you finished the deck. I still find I do it (or want to do it) but that in itself would be a never ending task, and what you see as a blemish or something that could be improved turns out to be so darned minor and of no consequence in the big picture of things.

So, good luck. Keep going. Keep smiling. Be kind to yourself. Have plenty of wine and chocolate on standby

Davina

LadySerpentine

Absolutely all the best. I know what you are going through - you will have a rollercoaster ride for sure, but the end result will be deeply satisfying.

My advice?
Set yourself a target deadline. Having done a couple of cards or so, you will be able to figure out how much time each week you need to dedicate to the art.
If it is too much, just extend the deadline accordingly.

THEN STICK TO IT! :) :)

That way, you know you will finish it. If I hadn't done that, and just wombled along as and when I felt the urge I would still be working on the deck in 12 months time. Trust me, the task of painting 80 pictures is huge.

So, good luck. Keep going. Keep smiling. Be kind to yourself. Have plenty of wine and chocolate on standby

Davina

Thanks for the advice! I hope to have them done before the end of August, but can't continue working on then until Tuesday, when I can buy more paint. I have a mostly complete battle plan for the moment, but if all else fails I will at least get the Major Arcana done befor the next semester starts. Once my birthday comes around this month I'll definitely try adding wine to my chocolate. ;D