Differences in decks -- accuracy

Aster Breo

If you read with more than one deck, do you find that a particular deck (or decks) gives you more accurate readings?

If so, why do you think this is?

And how do you know?

I'm wondering because my bias, of course, is for the deck I like best (the one I think it's most visually attractive) to also be the best "reading deck" -- because it's the one I prefer to look at.

But that doesn't seem to be the case. At least at the moment. Lately, the deck I like best aesthetically is apparently not giving as accurate readings as other decks.

I'm trying to decide why I think this is happening, and I'd love to hear other people's thoughts on this.

Thanks!

Tag_jorrit

Some people reach for different decks according to the questions being asked, because of the vibe/ feeling that the art of a deck imparts.

Also I think that the embellishments surrounding the symbols on the cards can distort or "color" the reader's focus from the message the cards deliver. Which is why when I am doing a 'serious' reading I reach for a deck with stark line drawings and nothing else surrounding the symbol. Just another reason why I like to have the symbols accurate to the traditional meanings; e.g., a male Rider or a depiction of a public Park rather than a private, landscaped-looking garden, or an Eiffel tower rather than a Tower that looks solid and will last (or has lasted) a long time and that looks like an official edifice rather than a tourist attraction.

All these things can alter your impression of the Lenormand language and having to 'translate' the pictures to the meanings they show can slow down or distort your impressions. .

Aster Breo

Some people reach for different decks according to the questions being asked, because of the vibe/ feeling that the art of a deck imparts.

Yes. I feel that certain decks seem to "prefer" certain kinds of questions, and often choose which deck to work with based on that.

Or on client preferences. I often, but not always, let the person I'm reading for choose which deck to use. That probably just has a psychological effect on my reading, but I do feel that I usually get better results.

Sometimes I'll do the same reading with 2 or more different decks -- either to clarify or just to compare how the decks read. I'm thinking of starting a long-term experiment to compare a few decks over time, which might be interesting, even if I can't ever truly control for the many subjective factors involved.

Also I think that the embellishments surrounding the symbols on the cards can distort or "color" the reader's focus from the message the cards deliver.

Agreed.

That's one reason why I have some decks just because I enjoy the art, but don't try to read with them.

Which is why when I am doing a 'serious' reading I reach for a deck with stark line drawings and nothing else surrounding the symbol. Just another reason why I like to have the symbols accurate to the traditional meanings; e.g., a male Rider or a depiction of a public Park rather than a private, landscaped-looking garden, or an Eiffel tower rather than a Tower that looks solid and will last (or has lasted) a long time and that looks like an official edifice rather than a tourist attraction.

Agreed. I still haven't found my completely perfect deck yet. Which must mean that I simply have to keep collecting decks until I do, right? ;-)

Do you feel that only the traditional art (produced in and/or depicting 18th or 198th century people and things) works?

Or would a modern style that showed the symbols as stark line drawings and nothing else (but either depicting current clothing styles, etc., or somehow removing any clues about time period -- if that's even possible) surrounding the symbol work for you?

All these things can alter your impression of the Lenormand language and having to 'translate' the pictures to the meanings they show can slow down or distort your impressions. .

I agree with you.

But, let's say you have several decks that fit the bill artistically, as many of the beautiful decks on your site do. Like comparing maybe a Stralsunder, a Dondorf, and a Daveluy, to pick decks that are artistically similar (to my eye, anyway). Or a Piatnik compare to a Blue Owl. Or a Madame Morrow compared to McLoughlin. That sort of comparison.

Do you see any objective difference in accuracy? If so, why do you think that is?

Or do you think it's all about the reader's subjective impressions of the cards?

Tag_jorrit

Reading the cards is subjective, I think, but the Lenormand "language" should be universal; meaning that, because the cards have specified meanings and they are modified by surrounding cards and read in context to the question that has been posed, readers should be able to come up with similar answers.

As to the artwork in various decks, old and new, it's like food. Some people love burgers and fries but you won't find a vegan interested in that fare; likewise you probably won't find a fan of burgers and fries being interested in cous cous, or brown rice for dinner. You have to buy and read the decks that inspire you. As you see by my 'store' I am fond of antique decks.

But when learning it helps to have a good, traditional deck that has 'correct' illustrations so as not to go astray in the learning process. Once you are an accomplished reader it probably wouldn't matter as much because you can 'translate' the wonky illustrations automatically -- like you can read through misspellings and grammar in someone's writing.

One thing I have heard from readers as they become more accomplished (which also happened to me as I gained experience) is that they appreciate the less 'illustrated' decks so they can see at a glance the cards and their relationships within the various clusters in a GT without having to carefully see through the pictures surrounding the symbols.

Le Fanu

Weirdly, I think it is easier to find the perfect Lenormand deck than it is to find the perfect tarot deck simply because there are currently fewer around cluttering up the scene (though that is fast changing).

I'm an eccentric lone voice in the forest. Like it was easier to find and stick with a tarot deck you loved in 1980 than it is now. It goes totally against the grain of the ethos that surrounds the current card-reading marketplace, I know.

Because the more decks there are, the more there is something for everyone, right? And that's why we get those odd requests here, you know the "does anyone know of a deck that features only koala bears doing hula hooping?" Because, you know, I'll only be able to read with that deck.

I learn the lesson a long time ago that, contrary to what everyone else says, I don't need to love the art of a deck to read with it. In fact, when I love the art of a deck, it can paralyse me. If I want to love art I go to an art gallery. I like primitive, stark images - that's what I read best with. It can be dressed up and beautified and I like that too. But I don't read with it. I can't imagine myself ever asking a client to choose a deck because they'd go for pretty and that's not really where it's at.

I'm trying to imagine a plumber asking me which is the best blow-lamp for fixing my copper pipes...

Aster Breo

I can't imagine myself ever asking a client to choose a deck because they'd go for pretty and that's not really where it's at.

I'm trying to imagine a plumber asking me which is the best blow-lamp for fixing my copper pipes...

That actually has not been my experience.

When I let clients choose the deck, they usually seem to be drawn to ones that don't really seem to match their own aesthetic tastes. It's actually been kind of interesting to see what people will pick.

It's not like I have an enormous collection or a wide variety, but there does seem to be a preference for simplicity.

1Eleven

If you read with more than one deck, do you find that a particular deck (or decks) gives you more accurate readings?

If so, why do you think this is?

And how do you know?

I'm wondering because my bias, of course, is for the deck I like best (the one I think it's most visually attractive) to also be the best "reading deck" -- because it's the one I prefer to look at.

But that doesn't seem to be the case. At least at the moment. Lately, the deck I like best aesthetically is apparently not giving as accurate readings as other decks.

I'm trying to decide why I think this is happening, and I'd love to hear other people's thoughts on this.

Thanks!

I'm not sure I can explain this clearly but I'll give it a shot. I think this comes down to intent. Let's say, for example, I'm going to throw a ball towards you. You have a few choices: You can catch the ball. You can avoid the ball. You can determine if the ball is going to hit you and decide to not do anything if it's not. Or, you can get hit.

What precedes you catching the ball? We can call this intent, for now.

Ok, now add in a 'nice looking, eye catching ball' - do you want to just look at it and experience it or do you want to catch it? get hit by it? get out of the way?

With the cards, if you find something 'attractive' it can be a distraction as you have a preference for that deck. If you find something hideous, you may lean towards avoidance.

What's clear, to me, is either of those can be a determining factor in what we may call 'accuracy' - so, what is your intent? Is your intent to just enjoy the beauty? is it to avoid the less attractive? Is it to play catch? Is it to dodge? Is it to just experience what is? Is it to simply let the cards hit you?

What happens just before your reading? I think that's where the answer lies, not with the cards themselves.

Tag_jorrit

That actually has not been my experience.

When I let clients choose the deck, they usually seem to be drawn to ones that don't really seem to match their own aesthetic tastes. It's actually been kind of interesting to see what people will pick.

It's not like I have an enormous collection or a wide variety, but there does seem to be a preference for simplicity.

As long as the decks are readable that seems like a great approach -- letting the querent pick the deck. Like the deck 'chooses' the questioner so the reading would be in tune with what's on that person's mind..

I haven't had this experience, and hope that I am never placed in this position, but I have a friend who received a gift of a Lenormand deck that she Really. Doesn't. Like. but the person who gave it to her loves it and likes her readings done with that deck. I don't think I could read with a deck that offended me.

Could you?

Barleywine

Because the interpretive range of Lenormand cards is narrow (and I don't try to foist tarot-reading techniques on them), I find that, as long as the images are instantly recognizable, the deck itself is of minor importance, more aesthetic than anything else. My clients gravitate toward the Gilded Reverie for obvious reasons, but I'm less particular.

Padma

While I love the Blue Owl deck and the Dondorf, still, I love best the Game of Hope deck (thanks, Tag J!)

There is something about the utter simplicity of those cards that gives the clearest readings, for me, at least.

I am beginning to believe any embellishment upon the Lennies is a distraction from the readability and quick conveyance of meaning. I see where Le Fanu was going with his answer. Just the facts, please!

(and...for sure, in a GT, all I want is a plain symbol. The added froufarrahs distract the eye, and muddle the mind, imo).

So, yes, Aster Breo, I think deck matters, where readability and accuracy are concerned.

ETA it is like how a tool of a particular brand seems to work better than the same type of tool under a different company name. A hammer is a hammer is a hammer, but some work better than others, for some reason! (balance and heft, for hammers, anyways ;) )