Tarot Cafe (manga)

HarleyQuinnX

Well, I've read it and now I can say that I've seen it completed.

Judging from the information about Aaron and the last chapters, the bulk of the story takes place in the 1940's and possibly 50's. As I was reading through the story it seemed more modern. Oh well.

Silverlotus

Argh! No spoilers! I'm not going to read it until I get my paper copy. I don't like reading books online.

HarleyQuinnX

The date of the story shouldn't be much of a spoiler. Nothing in the story really hinges on the dates, so it should be okay when you read it. Other than that, I'll try not to drop any spoilers.

Shade

Very excited - I picked up the final volume today! It's been an interesting series. On one hand I'm sorry to see it end but on the other I like the storylines have a chance to come to a (hopefully) satisfying conclusion.

I really enjoy the way some of the villains were evolved over the series a little bit at a time. Ambiguity of loyalties has made this a fun series to read.

Oh and I was excited to see the Golden Tarot of Klimt made it into this volume.

Shade

oooh, on an interesting note it looks like Tarot Cafe is up for a novelization treatment in the near future. I really enjoyed the manga format but maybe the novelization will help fill in some details.

truelighth

HarleyQuinnX said:
Well, I've read it and now I can say that I've seen it completed.

Judging from the information about Aaron and the last chapters, the bulk of the story takes place in the 1940's and possibly 50's. As I was reading through the story it seemed more modern. Oh well.

I don't think it takes place in the 1940's or 50's. I just read volume 7 and I can understand why you would conclude that. But... in the story with the popstar Sasha, he meets John Lennon who is then already 'dead'. So it couldn't possibly be in the 40's and 50's.

Besides, there is always that poster with Tarot Cafe opening Spring 1995 on the building in the comic (in every volume, I just checked). And the clothes are way too modern for it to be so long ago. Not even mentioning the notion of working women etc. So my opinion is that it does take place in modern times, meaning now.. or in 1995 and later years.

I hope this didn't include any spoilers, since the Sasha storyline was some time ago.. if it does.. then sorry.

missycab

I've bought the first volume today!!! I'm reading the Vampire story now. This manga looks so interesting!

vanity

Good series. I read it up to the 7th volume since the last one wasn't up online.

Greg Stanton

I read the first three. There are only 7 volumes in the series, and I don't believe any more are forthcoming.

Enjoyable, but, kinda girly. All the stories are essentially romances — and romances are fine, up to a point. Most of the stories are gay, only one or two were about straight couples. Also, it's difficult to tell the sex of the characters from the artwork. ALL of the characters look like girls. This is quite disconcerting when the text repeatedly refers to a character, who is a male werewolf that looks like a schoolgirl, complete with skirt and a bow around the neck, as "he" and "him". In Japanese manga, it's usually quite easy to tell the sex of a character. Maybe this is a quirk with its Korean counterpart.

I found the stories entertaining enough. It's just that it these eccentricities in the art got very tiresome. Imagine reading story after story about gay men, gay boys, and male cats, who all look like girls. Not my cup of diet coke.

MareSaturni

Ohhhh, i love love love it ^.^

I love Pamela and Bellus :D. I think they relationship is so...complex. In the end, but were going through the same things (loneliness), without even realizing the could be the cure for each other.

But other than that, i won't say anything more, in order not to spoil it :X

But i totally love it! I am very happy they released it here in Brazil!!!! And the ending...the ending...is perfect...oops, i'll shut up now...