51 - The Topsie-Turvets

Aximili

The Topsie-Turvets are the most common Fae in the Oracle. Why? Because not only do they have their very own card, they adorn the backs of all the other card in the deck too. Wonder how they managed that? :D

The Topsies seem to be a separate species of Fae as opposed to individuals, something they share with the Faeries of the Future and the Collective of Pixies. Each one of them has a very individual personality, background and outlook on life. This outlook is made even more unique by the primary meaning of their card, which is to look at the problem a different way. Because of their individualities, this is particularly easy for the Topsies.

Whenever they appear to me in a reading, the Topsies tell me to slow down, take a breath and look at the problem I'm facing, maybe taking other points of view into account. They ask me to conside the feelings of those whom I will affect with my decisions, and when I'm really worked up, they tell me to just walk away and come back when I've calmed down, and I do. When my blood's stopped boiling and I'm calm and ready to take on the world again, the Topsies show me how something isn't worth getting worked up over, and how silly it was to think it was in the first place. They won't tell you to forget about it while you are angry, because they understand humans too well, and know that we have to vent. When we have vented and returned to them, they and we laugh about it all, and they heal our feelings with their laughter and wisdom.

Much of my understanding of the Topsies comes from my guide, Anonymous who managed to sneak his way into Brian Froud's painting of the Turvies.. He hasn't told me his name, or anything he'd like to be called, so I called him 'Anonymous', and he likes it. In his strange logic, which is naturally topsy-turvey and by human stadards, distinctly odd, a name that means 'no name' is a very good name. Go figure :D

greenbeans

Aximili said:
The Topsie-Turvets are the most common Fae in the Oracle. Why? Because not only do they have their very own card, they adorn the backs of all the other card in the deck too. Wonder how they managed that? :D

Yeah, how'd those little blighters get so ubiquitous?? I reckon they used their disarming cuteness to distract the people at the printing factory... topsies in the printing presses....next thing you know... topsies EVERYWHERE! And we need them everywhere, each card we turn gives us a different Fae perspective..

Aximili said:
This outlook is made even more unique by the primary meaning of their card, which is to look at the problem a different way. Because of their individualities, this is particularly easy for the Topsies.

They do all have their own personalities, don't they...most of them have more than one, depending on which way you look at them! And yet, as you say, they are a definite sub-species of Fae able to have 2 or more viewpoints on the matter. I reckon their quarter of Faerie is like an Escher painting, all impossible constructions and differing perspectives...and they aren't confused by it at all!

Aximili said:
Whenever they appear to me in a reading, the Topsies tell me to slow down, take a breath and look at the problem I'm facing, maybe taking other points of view into account.

That's hit the nail on the head! Turning this card round and round is such a strange experience for us humans who are used to seeing things from one point of view all the time...our own (of course). This card reminds me to take a Fae's eye view...even if that is confusing it will lead to a much less close-minded expereince of life and hopefully less strife!

Aximili said:
Much of my understanding of the Topsies comes from my guide, Anonymous who managed to sneak his way into Brian Froud's painting...
Ooh they can be sneaky can't they!? You're so lucky to have found your guide, it is amazing that he's on this card, of all cards. Anonymous...not a name in my (human) book, but then that is SO like the Topsies! I wonder if he will reveal any more names in future (since Fae can have many names of course!) and I'm sure he has lots more tricks up his sleeve for you.

Aximili

Anonymous isn't on one card. He's on ALL of em :D

Knowing him and his appreciation of my rather skewed view of the world (which is a lot like his apparently...is that a good thing, do you think ;) ) I would say that he has a LOT of surprises in store for me.

The name wasn't his idea it was mine. I asked him what his name was, and he said I had to guess. I tried all sorts (including Rumpelstiltskin, we had a good laugh about that one :D ) and finally I gave up. Frankly I think he was just waiting until I said one he liked the sound of ;) .

greenbeans

Aximili said:
Anonymous isn't on one card. He's on ALL of em :D

See, and I knew that!

Tricksy Turvets!

Are you sure he's not thinking of A Nonny Mouse?
Or is that his brother?

Aximili

...He wants to know what Nonny means before he decides if that's his name. He says that he 'won't be associated with a word that is defamatory to my personality' and he's very (un)subtly trying to find out from me what it means. Hehe, this is my revenge for the name game ;)

Apparently, he claims that he has 'more brothers than stars in the sky, grains of sand on a beach, raindrops in a monsoon,' you get the picture. He's dictating as I type. Every creature that walks in any of the Worlds is his brother, so long as they treat all life with respect. He is kin to the strongest lion or the smallest mouse, the mighty seas and waterfalls, from the small bonsai to the towering oak', well that's enough of THAT. If I let him, he'll go on for hours ;)

And he asks me to add that 'I'm not a mouse or a rat or a cat or a bat or...(long list of things he isn't)... I look like a WOLF!'

You keep dreaming An ;)

greenbeans

nonny- the dictionary says it means 'a silly fellow', but amongst the turvets that could be a term of great honour!

Aximili

He says that he's not 'a silly fellow', he is 'a paragon of sense, a totally-feet-on-the-ground-fellow' and he's inviting me to look. Personally I'll go with what you said. ;)

And he likes having no name better, even though he has a name that says he doesn't have a name...

You're making my head hurt! ;)

Jewel

*LOL* What a fun thread! The Topsy Turvets actually make my head hurt just like the Collective of Pixies and Faeries of the Future *LOL*. When I get the Topsy Turvets, there is usually just too much coming at me at one time, and things do feel upside down, and yes, my head usually ends up really hurting. It is like a visit from harmless chaos when they come. No long term damage, but at the moment it is annoying as hell! *LOL*

Aximily ... ~giggles~ ... I see you are connecting quite well with the Faeries, and actually having conversations and experiences with them. Seems like having the Topsy Turvets on your side will be a great advantage, and they probably need an advocate around here so that is good!

Aximili

I'll be more than happy to act as their advocate :D

It does seem odd that considering how long this forum's been going, no-one's ever even thought about making a Topsie thread, then I come along, get a Topsie guide and make their thread for them...

I've asked An about it but he just sits on my shoulder, laughs, then pops of to wherever he goes when he's not with me. He's a strange one, even for a Fae. ;)

qwaychou

This card will forver remind me of David Bowie's Labrynth movie and the goblins Mr. Froud designed.
Some are happy, some are not. The world is on its head. The cat that jumps is not the cat that lands.
There are three sides to a story, my side, your side and the truth.