Does anyone have THIS RW deck?

Sulis

Be aware that the blues in this deck have a greenish tinge but it is a lovely deck; it has an old feel and look to it and the colouring has a dotty look which some people don't like (a little like old postcards). The older versions have a nice satin sheen but the newer ones are glossy which I don't think goes well with the deck at all.
I prefer the Pamela Coleman-Smith deck myself and that would be my RWS of choice if I was using one :).

greatdane

Thanks Sulis, Karen and Aerin

Sulis, you mentioned some being better than others re printing. Is there a printing of the original with the blue backs that is considered better? I think there are some that were printed in England in the late 1990's? By Rider and Co.? Not sure, just read something somewhere. Buying online is lovely, except when you can't really see the cards except in scans....I have some inquiries out there now and am asking where and when they were printed, which I figure is the best thing to know.

Thoughts?

Le Fanu

greatdane said:
Sulis, you mentioned some being better than others re printing. Is there a printing of the original with the blue backs that is considered better? I think there are some that were printed in England in the late 1990's? By Rider and Co.? Not sure, just read something somewhere
Isn't that the Rider & Co "British blue box", unlaminated one with original calligraphy, in the blue box with The World card on the front? It has the blue plaid backs and was published (I think) early 70s. 1971? The earlier ones don't have the U.S Games copyright on the cards, later ones (1980s) do. I bought mine in 1983 (or thereabouts) and it has copyright on the cards. I also have an earlier one which doesn't. The colours are beautiful.

That lack of "copyright" - though small - makes a massive difference. I say this because I was given my copy and instantly loved it, and felt a strong attachment towards it. It took me three or four days to notice that it didn't actually have the copyright on the front like my old one!

greatdane

Thanks, Le Fanu

This is ALL so confusing! I've been eming some vendors online. I thought the Rider and Co had the blue flower pattern on the backs, but as it didn't SHOW the backs online, I just asked the vendor. The one I am currently checking on says Rider and Co but from the 1990's and says Original Rider Waite on the box.

I SO don't want an "original" RWS deck with a copyright plastered on the front of the cards....

This says 1999 published by Rider and Co, when I click on other format, it says cards imported 1999.....Le Fanu? One of yours?

http://www.amazon.com/Original-Ride...=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1295805032&sr=1-2

rwcarter

greatdane,

This is the blue box version you want from Rider & Co, not the "Original Rider Waite" from Rider & Co. This thread discusses that particular version of the RWS.

HTH,
Rodney

greatdane

Thanks Rodney!

I think one could have a library of just RWS decks.....and I think some of you do! :)

I appreciate the advice.

GD

gregory

The ONLY one without copyright on the card fronts is the blue box one from way back. It does show up on ebay quite frequently, and price is highly variable - I've seen them up to $50 - mine was £8.

The best of the current batch that you can easily get in the US - in my opinion - and in any case special because of the extras - is the commemorative set. The other one I really like is the Lo Scarabeo centenary one. But copyright issues make that tough for US buyers :) And it does have those multilingual titles. I don't care when the cards are in any case so good - but for many that would be a deal-breaker.

Le Fanu

greatdane said:
This says 1999 published by Rider and Co, when I click on other format, it says cards imported 1999.....Le Fanu? One of yours?

http://www.amazon.com/Original-Ride...=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1295805032&sr=1-2
No, that'll be the US Games Original with copyright on the front (even though it is listed as Rider & Co).

For some reason two dates always come up, sometimes it is listed as published 1993, other times 1999. I got two of the earlier editions.

To get one without copyright, it has to be a blue box, plaid backs (but even then you never know if it will have a copyright or not, some do, some don't). Or Pam A or B or C or D etc. Or a de Laurence (but I won't confuse you with that one). Nothing off amazon will not have the copyright.

Gregory, just out of interest, a plaid backed Rider & Co deck without copyright would come from sometime between which dates? Mine doesn't have a box. Of the two I have with copyright; one has Fitzroy Square, the other Conway Street as the address. Are we talking pre-1971? Post 1960? I have no idea...

ETA; very pleased to see I have 13 of the ones roppo has listed! :)

I could kick myself, I saw that LoS Pam B ages ago in a 2nd hand bookshop and didn't buy it. "Only a boring RWS" and bought other stuff. :(

Le Fanu

gregory said:
The price is highly variable - I've seen them up to $50 - mine was £8.
And mine was free. Found in an abandoned house by a builder friend of mine! Saved from the skip/dumpster! And complete!