Thread: Horary DIY
View Single Post
Citizen

RohanMenon 
Well Hinduism,at least in India

is polytheistic in that it has many God *forms*. But most practising Hindus don't see these as separate dieties, but rather different forms of the One deity, and so horary questions are posed to the astrologer as what does (the One) God want (for me / about this matter/ in this context)? . What is rare is the question that what does this specific god *form* want, which happens when a family has worshipped a specific (small d) diety for centuries ,and want questions answered from that specific diety, who is of course the overruling One (!! )

For horary queries specific to the affairs of a particular temple's affairs, the question is addressed to that temple's particular diety, who, even then is seen as "The One" in that particular context.

It is hard to explain, but most Hindus switch easily between a polytheistic viewpoint to a monotheistic one and back again because of this 'multiple forms of a Single Deity" idea. Which is confusing to people from religions which make a big deal of one DIety vs everyone else, but I suspect the Greeks may have had similar ideas (just guessing)

The idea that the planets reflect (and manifest) the Will of the One, and so also provide a channel to that Will (via astrology) wouldn't be extraordinary (at all) in a Hindu context. I suspect it is a deep philosophical difference between religions and cultures, which affects astrological practise.

All good. As I said, I just thought it might be interesting to note it down.

not really making a statement as to which viewpoint is 'right' etc.

It makes perfect sense if this restriction comes from Frawley.

PS: Atheism is miniscule in India. More than 99 % of people believe in a 'God' of some kind.
Top   #220