A look into the future

Disa

Noir said:
Like others, I very much would like to see Ciro produce a work that is significantly evolved from his previous decks. But my concern is less with referencing the past and more with how this new instrument will allow me to access my own truths and those of whom I read for. Producing something darker simply to vary the breadth of one’s portfolio seems as disingenuous as simply reproducing what has been done before.

I, too, am not classically-trained or academically-steeped in the traditions of the Tarot, but I do trust in my own ability to resonant with something of value. Given the passion and authenticity with which Ciro is approaching this new work, I have no doubt that this new creation will be something worthy of him... and of us.

But I do resonate with darker, more mysterious things ... Which is why I would love to have a deck like that created by Ciro.

Voron

Technical Point...

While my overall initial reaction to the QoW was overwhelmingly positive, I couldn't help but notice that she seems wary about something. Holding back somehow. Maybe it's the way her chin seems to be ever so slightly held back, maybe it was the question her eyes seem to hold. Maybe it's because I see her so often in my day to day life. Maybe I'm the only one, but it seems as though while she is dressed as the Queen of Wands, she isn't quite *Her* yet. She wants to be, but it seems she could be just a *bit* more challenging, a *bit* more self-assured, a bit more spark in her eyes. Subtle differences...

But the breaking the fourth wall, Brilliant!

Just my opinions...

Keep up the great work!

cirom

I don't have an overall dark mood in mind, as the images and general look and feel will relate to a setting based on a story that will be included as part of the decks companion book.
That being said of course some cards will be have that darker feel as appropriate.

Here is another sample image (not the finished card). I don't want to explain the symbolism yet, as its not completely defined. (you are of course welcome to add your own take :) after all that will be part of the purpose of the finished product.

Attachments

• NEW-FOOL.jpg
    NEW-FOOL.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 507

Papageno

I like that FOOL a lot. definitely. I'm happy to see you step back from the harlequin theme. the jesters sceptre is terrific.

the darkness I would love to see more of I think is best typified by the 6 of Swords in the Tarot of Dreams. the woman in the iron mask. it's the iron mask that really defines that image and adds the menace and tragedy.

I also like the absence of the heavy borders. you style is very substantial in it's flourish and I felt the borders in the Dreams verged on detracting from the image. The Fool here has room to breathe and float, it doesn't feel locked in.

Normally I like borders but I seriously hope you decide not to in this case.

Little Baron

trismegistus said:
Normally I like borders but I seriously hope you decide not to in this case.

I agree trismegistus.

That is a lovely figure, Ciro. The pose, the anonymity, the colouring. I like the background. It reminds me [a little] of the Rohrig (maybe it is the Rohrigs backs, with the stars). But is beautifully vast and open for potential. But the box, also reminds me of Pandora's, a little. And the pose reminds me of yoga; it also gives me the idea of someone at a starting line.

I like this one. Thanks for sharing. And I agree with Trismegistus that it does aid having it spread out like that, rather than being constricted with borders.

LB

raventepes

It looks to me like he's expressing elements of the beginning of time amagalmated with fantasy. Of course I might be wrong.

souljourney

Love the borderless look.
The Fool card is great, I like the Queen in the Queen of Wands card... wish there were more accessories or "stuff" around her.
Would love to see a "darker" deck in general from you also. Maybe you should just do a dark, Vargoesque, goth deck... that would be different for you... :D And lots of us would LOVE that!
I'll want this deck anyway, just like I still want Tarot of Dreams

Mimers

We are made of the dust of stars intermingled with the essence of spirit. We don the mask of our bodies as we prepare to enter the world of time and begin a new journey called life.

He will enter at just the perfect point in time to begin his life. He is still unburdened with any earthly restrictions. The veil that will keep him from remembering his true home starts to obscure his view.

Ciro, this is a beautiful fool card. I have always thought of the fool as the soul just before it comes down to earth. So beautiful and so rich.

Love it.

cirom

souljourney said:
I like the Queen in the Queen of Wands card... wish there were more accessories or "stuff" around her.
Would love to see a "darker" deck in general from you also. Maybe you should just do a dark, Vargoesque, goth deck... that would be different for you... :D And lots of us would LOVE that!
I'll want this deck anyway, just like I still want Tarot of Dreams

Regarding the Queen, as I mentioned earlier, the images is'nt the final card, she is just the main character from it.

As for a darker deck, I don't plan to do that as an overall theme because I simply don't feel its appropriate for many cards, but for some cards... most certainly :)

MeeWah

Ciro: I think your Queen of Wands is magnificent!! & evocative of her element, too.

She seems so real, it is eerie--but a good eerie, not a wierd eerie. Her steady gaze & posture mirror depths not immediately obvious. I like that sense of both control & mystery. The attention to details such as her hair, jewelry & garment awesome for their textures, which not easy to capture.

I think the lack of borders sets off the imagery superbly! Borders can detract from the imagery.

Granted this is one court card, but the style seems markedly different from the Gilded Tarot (which I have & can see for comparison). & as odd as it may sound, I think I shall like this new deck even more.

As for The Fool: Mimers said it eloquently.

& I am so very glad another deck in the making!