Magickal Tarot Set by Anthony Clark?

AprilFool

Is this a well-known and/or well-respected deck set?

It is supposedly "based" on Thoth, but looks extremely different from the scans here...

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/magickal/

AT doesn't have a review, and it seems to be out of print. I have a friend willing to part with a brand new set, never opened. Is it worth purchasing?

Debra

I suppose it's Thoth-like because it has Disks, not coins or pentacles, and Art, not Temperance, etc.

faunabay

Well I know some collectors who really like having it. But what would you want it for? Collecting, to resell, using yourself, learning from, etc. I would figure out what you would do with it before answering whether it would be worth you buying the copy your friend has or not. :)

Wendywu

I love that deck but the only ones that have come my way have been beyond my means at the time. Of course, when I have the means (intermittently) there is no deck to purchase ......

I'd want it to study, and ultimately read. It is loaded with symbolism and is so interesting.

thorhammer

*drooooooooool* Where is your friend????? I want I want I want!

:D Just kidding . . . sort of.

I'd love to have the deck - it appears to me to be one that would fit my study of the Western Magickal Tradition. You know, the Golden Dawn and all that came out of that Order, then its evolution through the offices of Aleister Crowley and the Ordo Templi Orientis blah blah . .

I get boring on this topic, not least because I don't know what I'm talking about. But if I were you I'd get the deck, and leave it unopened until you decide if the magickal side of Tarot is for you. And by that I mean ceremonial magick, not the new agey Wiccan type - there are many decks that would suit that form of magick out there, but I'd say this isn't one of them.

ETA: A brief review can be found on Tarot Passages: http://www.tarotpassages.com/magikal.html

\m/ Kat

AprilFool

Thanks so much for all your replies, folks! :D

I actually like the images on the cards quite a bit, and love the review that was linked in an earlier reply. It's rather tempting to purchase it, even though it's a bit pricey, and hold onto it for a while to see if I feel moved to open it. If not, I suppose a trading forum post could always be created, to see if someone else has a fancy for this deck. I might even have to open it and sneak a peek before I'd offer it as a sale, which would make it a slight bit second-hand, eh?! ;)

rif

I used to own the deck, and I've read the book. I like both. I've not been able to snag a copy through the trading forum, someone always grabs it before I even see it.

And Kat, you have plenty of decks to study as it is. :D

AprilFool

rif said:
....someone always grabs it before I even see it.
So you're saying if I regret buying it, I can probably unload it on someone???? ;)

rif said:
....And Kat, you have plenty of decks to study as it is. :D
And when does having plenty of decks mean you can't want more???? :D
(Thus, my inclination to take this one off my friends' hands, who seems to be struggling a bit financially :( ...)

thorhammer

rif said:
And Kat, you have plenty of decks to study as it is. :D
AprilFool said:
And when does having plenty of decks mean you can't want more???? :D
Yeah, what she said! Bully! :D I know, I know . . . it's just . . . it's out of print, so if I ever find it for a reasonable price, I'll be getting it, my burgeoning collection notwithstanding :D I'll get to them. I slowly am now.

So lay off, you! :*

\m/ Kat

Lillie

What does it go for?

Say a set with a book. Second hand, but cards perfect, for instance.

Just a rough idea...