View Single Post
Citizen

MikeH 
Citizen

Huck wrote,
Quote:
ell,we have, that 5 related (somehow "famous") persons are all "from Grenoble". Barral (with Grenoble freemason connections), his new wife and her brother (with Etteilla and freemason connections), his older wife and her cardinal's family and his cousin Guignard.
As all are from Grenoble, it's not very surprising, that they married between each other, but more or less normal behavior.
There is also Hugand, in Lyon, in contact with de la Salette in Grenoble. On p. 12 or 13 of this thread, I wrote:
Quote:
1791, Lyons. Hugand publishes Cartomancie, our l’art de developper la chaine des evenements de la vie: recreations astrologiques par le livre de Thot. (DDD p. 101)

1791. Dictionnaire synonymique du livre de Thot published anonymously but probably written by Joubert de La Salette, an army officer then stationed in Grenoble. His name is mentioned as author of such a work by another student, de Bonrecueille. The author himself says he “lives in a village” and is “joined to considerable details related to the troops of whom I am in command.” In its “Preliminary discourse,” the author says that he was preceded “in the same undertaking” by another member, M. Jejalel (Hugand’s “Cabalistic” name). He also mentions that another member, M. de B., is occupied with the same task. The core of the book, DDD write (p. 110), is its ‘Table-des-synonymes de livre de Thot,’ pp. 19-57, following Etteilla’s order of the cards and their keywords.
Is there anyone we know answering to the abbreviation "M. de B."?

Lyon is not far from Grenoble (112 km distant), in fact one of the nearest cities of any size. Moreover I see that there is a suburb called "Saint Priest": https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Lyon...d45.188529!3e0

Is that the domain of the Comte de Saint Priest, i.e. Guignard?

Philippe wrote
Quote:
And it may be the oldest Etteilla known ?
The relation to Etteilla is of course of great interest. Since the pictures are mostly not anything like Etteilla's, the relationship would be to the keywords. If so, that is interesting, because people tend to think of Etteilla's cartomancy as related to the pictures, when in fact--I believe--it was related to the keywords, and the pictures merely added glamor, mystery, and income.

So to what extent does the 66 card deck borrow from Etteilla, and at what period (i.e. 1770s or 1780s)? That is why a list of these keywords is important to have--not something someone such as I or Huck can do, given our unfamiliarity with French script. Etteilla himself put out his first original deck in 1789, a tarot deck, as DDD clearly establish. In the Cahiers Etteilla merely suggests that the reader take an ordinary tarot deck and add his keywords and numbers.
Top   #78